ATEM Mini Problems by beginner

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ShleeOZ

ATEM Mini Problems by beginner

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Hey,
I've found myself with two problems.

1) My PS4 Pro doesn't seem to work. I've tried all of the HDMI ports with different HDMI cables. Has anybody else tested their Playstation?

2) The HDMI 1 port visuals seem to be green as well. same issue at here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105327
I've noticed in the software, I can trigger the hdmi 1 direct as output and it'll work. but goes back to green effect by default. I assume this is on purpose, but how do I make all of the HDMI1-4 just regular inputs?

Thanks.

rboerner

Re: ATEM Mini Problems by beginner

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 6:00 pm

In regard to item #1, the Atem Mini does not appear to support the ingestion of video that is protected by HDCP. If you turn off HDCP in the PS4 does that help? I would post a link to the PS4 manual that shows how to do this, however since I am new to forum I am unable to post links. A quick web search for 'disable HDCP PS4' should take you to the Sony manual with the relevant information.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm

Hello Ashley. All ATEM switchers will not pass HDCP protected video. It is important to note that input #1 on the ATEM Mini is unique since it has the direct capability bypassing internal processing.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

ShleeOZ

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:09 am

The PS4 problem makes perfect sense. I'll investigate the HDCP.

Regarding the green HDMI1 channel. If I plug my device into HDMI2-4 it works without issue, then back to green on 1. Any idea?

I'm going to try a bunch of different hardware in HDMI1 and see if it's universal.

danschueler

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 3:37 pm

Try running the HDMI through an HDMI splitter. That works for some HDCP devices, like Chromecast. Cheap HDMI splitters, like Techole, seem to work. It may have to be a powered splitter.

Axel Mertes

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:13 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Ashley. All ATEM switchers will not pass HDCP protected video. It is important to note that input #1 on the ATEM Mini is unique since it has the direct capability bypassing internal processing.

Regards, Gary

Hi Gary,

how exactly do I enable this kind of behavior on channel 1?

I tried today without success as it seems.

Kind regards
Axel
Axel Mertes
Film, Video and IT professional
Freelancer/Consultant

Axel Mertes

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:18 pm

danschueler wrote:Try running the HDMI through an HDMI splitter. That works for some HDCP devices, like Chromecast. Cheap HDMI splitters, like Techole, seem to work. It may have to be a powered splitter.

Hi Dan,

so to get this right:
This Technole HDMI splitter might filter out the HDCP bit and enable the source device as input on the ATEM?
I tried today to use a Google ChromeCast for input, as we have a SAMSUNG Flip2 touch white board in use, that can send screen copy via WIFI or HDMI. HDMI did not work out, as the signal got really poor after 15m cable. So we thought using the WIFI from the presenter towards a ChromeCast that is plugged into the ATEM Mini Extreme ISO would be a nice alternative. Just got a black screen/input instead.

I found this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07DW2445X/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A379JFQXZJDMZG

Is that one you have seen working for this?

Please let me know.

Cheers
Axel
Axel Mertes
Film, Video and IT professional
Freelancer/Consultant

Frank Engel

PostMon May 10, 2021 10:51 am

It should be pointed out that using an HDMI splitter in that manner may be considered illegal in some countries as it bypasses a copyright protection scheme.

If the PS4 has an option to disable HDCP as per the earlier suggestion, that is the better option from a legal standpoint and eliminates the need for an additional purchase.

As to the "green" issue, this is known to happen if an RGB signal is being sent, as input #1 only supports video signals and not RGB signals (the other three inputs support both).

The "direct" output mode is selected through software control (as the aux output source), but will at best benefit the HDMI output. In particular, the green appearance would still be maintained on the stream.

Return to Live Production