Slides captured live

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

andy hamel

Slides captured live

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 12:37 pm

We use two sony EX3 cameras and take a direct feed from a computer to capture the slides to our Black magic ATEM1 and we record our live switching onto a Ki-Pro.
The problem I have is when I export from the Ki-Pro the slides are 4 x 3 and I need to -Resize each slide on my time line ( I edit on Final cut pro 7)

Is there a device / software that I can use so that when I capture the slides live (from the computer) to my Ki-Pro they will be formatted the same as what I am capturing from my cameras

Thanxs
adh

Liam Kennedy

Re: Slides captured live

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 12:51 pm

I imagine the Ki-Pro is just recording what is being displayed from your computer right (as fed in to the 1ME)?

Question then is why are the slides being displayed in 4x3 format in the first place?

Have you configured the correct aspect ratio in the source (PowerPoint?) presentation?

What video format is your ATEM1 configured in (720p or 1080i)?

You may need to tell us a little more about how your computer external display is configured too... and whether you notice it is JUST the slides that are displayed in 4x3 - or if somehow the external "display" is presented in 4x3. By rights it should be identical to whatever frame size / aspect ratio your cameras are running in.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

andy hamel

Slides captured live

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 pm

We are recording 1080i
the slides are live to an audience who are watching the presentor(s) so they fill the screen as a 4 x 3

We use a spliter from the podium computer that projects the slides -one spliter goes to the auditorium projector and the other splitter I use to go into my ATEM1

I was wondering is there a converter I can use between the podium computer cable that I can insert so that the slides wil be 16 x 9

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 4:41 pm

With the 1ME you can use the DVE to scale that input to stretch out the slides.

andy hamel

Slides captured live

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanxs -Never thought of using the DVE - I'll be trying that
Thanxs

andy hamel

Slides captured resize live

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 5:24 pm

how do I resize my slides during a live program- I have tried using the DVE button, but I still can't sem to resize my slides

The speakers are 16 x9

I am using the ATEM 1 M/E Production switcher

thanxs andy

George Sickler

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 6:43 pm

Andy,

What splitter are you using?

I have worked on this for months, to find a sub $500 options to split a computer (random presenter for jobs) and then have a compatible signal, while presenting 4x3 on a projector.

The options I came up with was to use Air Parrot, from most any computer, unless you have a mac and air display, but this is rare, - so I connect to an Apple TV3 720p, and have a very good signal. - But the slides are still 4x3, with a letter box. -

Can you give out a hardware list for your connection?

Thanks

George

(im getting ready for a big gig, and need to checkin to a hardware solution, sub $500 - I have 3 simultaneous events to record, so a limited budget for just getting slides.)
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

andy hamel

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 6:52 pm

we go directly in from the computer using an HDMI Cable.. I believe the ATEM2 lets you resize with the switcher..but we have the ATEM1 and I wnat to resize them when I capture them on my KI-pro so I don't have to resize them in my editing

George Sickler

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 4:37 am

Oh ok, so you do not project from the same camera?

So you do not need to split the signal.?

Geo
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

Fred Rodrigues

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 6:26 am

If you are on a mac you can use folder actions to automatically crop and scale any picture that land in the chosen folder.
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 7:40 am

Several different ways to accomplish this. With the 1ME - you would use the DVE on an Upstream Key. This example assumes a 4:3 slide that I want to stretch so it fills the 16:9 frame. Specify the Fill Source as the Slide Input then set the X Size value to scale the horizontal width to whatever needed. Here is an example.

This shows the Upstream KEY1 is configured to use the Fill Source of PC (which is what I have named my HDMI input from the PC with a 4:3 slide presentation). I have selected KEY 1 to be used in the Next Transition. When I then hit Cut or Auto the adjusted slide will be brought live.

The other way to do this is to use an external scaler which allows for adjusting of the x/y scale of the output. I use an Atlona HD500 (VGA to HDMI scaler). This also allows me to scale the input VGA signal as needed and I could achieve exactly the same thing with that. No DVE needed on the 1ME.

Hope that helps.

George Sickler

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi Liam,

Are you using a VGA splitter to go from a presenters computer, to a Projector, and then grab the signal for the Atem?

Also, I sold my 1/me so I am using three ATVS -

I am wanting a hard wire setup - so the Atlona looks affordable, and I have a couple of VGA splitters. -

I am videotaping random presenters, and have very little time to setup before they begin, so I am looking for a plug n play get go. -

Can you PM me, or let me know what your doing for this Slides to Atem solution - except with the presenter to the Projector. -

Oh and then how do you prepare for these guys that have newer laptops, and may have an DVI out, or HDMI out. - Or say, Thunderbolt only? I am not sure what variables I will be facing.

Thanks

George

Liam Kennedy wrote:Several different ways to accomplish this. With the 1ME - you would use the DVE on an Upstream Key. This example assumes a 4:3 slide that I want to stretch so it fills the 16:9 frame. Specify the Fill Source as the Slide Input then set the X Size value to scale the horizontal width to whatever needed. Here is an example.

This shows the Upstream KEY1 is configured to use the Fill Source of PC (which is what I have named my HDMI input from the PC with a 4:3 slide presentation). I have selected KEY 1 to be used in the Next Transition. When I then hit Cut or Auto the adjusted slide will be brought live.

The other way to do this is to use an external scaler which allows for adjusting of the x/y scale of the output. I use an Atlona HD500 (VGA to HDMI scaler). This also allows me to scale the input VGA signal as needed and I could achieve exactly the same thing with that. No DVE needed on the 1ME.

Hope that helps.
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

Chriswalsh

PostThu Aug 15, 2013 1:44 am

Just. Few thoughts here . . .

1) Since you mentioned different presenters and being able to plan ahead, my question then is how do you account for a 4:3 or 16:9 setting in your ATEM or scaler device? Meaning how do you accomplish that in quick turn around time periods?? I can't see fiddling with the dve or scaler settings during every switch.

2) How are you projecting your presentations? (VGA, Ethernet, ???) and are you just sending the slides and not video of the presentor??

My Solution:

We run check monitor(s) to the podium that display the presenters slides and the live feed currently on the projector. We do NOT put a laptop at the podium. We run it from our machine at control and give them a wireless remote, or have someone run it for them. This ensures we can get the proper signal type not our switcher and recording device. (We do this 95 % of the time.) If someone has a special presentation that they must have their computer for we can plug it in at control, or through a quick replug, or run an extra cable to the podium to plug in their computer, and to serve as backup.

Regardless, I don't understand what the big deal is about having black bars in 16:9 recording. After all per your description, you output it to the live audience in 4:3 mode.

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Aug 15, 2013 1:56 am

Changing the DVE in the ATEM is a 5 second exercise. Easy to do mid-presentation. It's a little slower to make such a change to the Atlona scaler I have... but not that much more difficult.

But... I also agree. I never <want> to do this stretch (messes up any circles and just looks wrong).... but for some reason many of my clients have insisted on doing this.

I often have a splitter - so the slides in 4x3 can go to the projector - and the stretched slides are going to the ATEM (then streamed and/or saved to SSD on my Hyperdeck). It just depends on the setup.

-Liam

andy hamel

Slides captured live

PostThu Aug 15, 2013 11:06 am

Our presentaions are 16 x 9 and we output 16x 9, our slides come in 4 x 3 which is fine except the top and bottom is always out of the "safe Zone" and most of the times it is the Title / Institution (on Bottom) of the slide is not visible
When I edit I find all my PowerPoint slides -( Razor them I use Final Cut) move them up to another video track then Resize them all so the top and Botom are not cut out.
Which is time consuming and this is why I would like it all to fit the slides all the one timeline

I do not stretch them as I agree the circles become ovals

andy

Chriswalsh

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 4:43 am

andy hamel wrote:Our presentaions are 16 x 9 and we output 16x 9, our slides come in 4 x 3 which is fine except the top and bottom is always out of the "safe Zone" and most of the times it is the Title / Institution (on Bottom) of the slide is not visible
When I edit I find all my PowerPoint slides -( Razor them I use Final Cut) move them up to another video track then Resize them all so the top and Botom are not cut out.
Which is time consuming and this is why I would like it all to fit the slides all the one timeline

I do not stretch them as I agree the circles become ovals

andy

Perhaps I'm not following since it is late here, but earlier I thought you said that your slides filled the screen when projected via a splitter as 4:3? Now you said your presentations are 16:9 and your output is 16:9 . . . So, is the issue that the KiPro is making them 4:3 or that the slides are 4:3 to begin with??

After re-reading the thread it sounds like your slides are in the wrong format to begin with possibly caused by the splitter sending signal to a 4:3 projector for the auditorium as you mentioned previously, or setup incorrectly in PowerPoint/Keynote. It sounds like you need to do one of the following 1) home run to the ATEM from the computer to ensure you are capturing in the correct format, which may also require changes on the computer where the presentation resides. Then, take an output from the ATEM to the auditorium projector. (I saw you are using a TVS so the SD out is not available, but you could use a scaler on one of the outputs.) or 2) Upgrade your projector and screen to support 16:9 and ensure the presentation is in the correct format to begin with. Then split before the projector, or loop out of the projector to the ATEM.

The more I think about this IIRC most MS PowerPoint installs default to 4:3. So even if you stretched or scaled the image it will look funny unless the settings are changed from the software, which itself may cause formatting issues to the content as you mentioned cutting the top and bottom.

Or you could talk to your client(s) about what each outcome brings. Noting that projecting in the native format offers the best possible outcome, which at times may lead to black bars. . . . That or just bill them for fixing it in post. :)

Most of the larger accounts I service have a coordinator that provides presenters with minimum specifications, and a form for them to request certain things. That is how I deal with most instances. Yes sometimes surprises happen, but we just do the best we can with scalers and extra computers with known good configurations.

Return to Live Production