Chromecast doesn't show in Atem Mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

rvillar

Chromecast doesn't show in Atem Mini

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi!

I'm trying to have a "wireless camera" connected to my Atem Mini, so I've tried to connect a Chromecast as an input in the switcher and then cast my phone screen using Google Cast mirroring option

When I turn the Chromecast on, I can see the start screen with the typical google G, but it inmediatly goes black.

I've read that this may be because of HDCP and that I could skip it using a HDMI splitter between the Chromecast and the Atem Mini, but it doesn't work either.

I agree with HDCP protection, but in this case I want to stream my own content!!

rboerner

Re: Chromecast doesn't show in Atem Mini

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 2:58 pm

rvillar wrote:Hi!

I'm trying to have a "wireless camera" connected to my Atem Mini, so I've tried to connect a Chromecast as an input in the switcher and then cast my phone screen using Google Cast mirroring option

When I turn the Chromecast on, I can see the start screen with the typical google G, but it inmediatly goes black.

I've read that this may be because of HDCP and that I could skip it using a HDMI splitter between the Chromecast and the Atem Mini, but it doesn't work either.

I agree with HDCP protection, but in this case I want to stream my own content!!

I tested the Chromecast with the Atem Mini, and observed the same behavior as you describe and I suspected the cause was due to HDCP.

I used an inexpensive HDMI splitter between the Atem and the Chromecast and that circumvented the problem. The splitter did not call out that it removed HDCP protection, however reviewers of the unit did so I took a chance.

In a different thread in this forum (https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105708&p=584561&hilit=hdcp+atem+mini#p584561) a Blackmagic representative confirms that the Atem switchers will not pass HDCP signals.

However, in that thread the rep mentioned the pass-through feature of HDMI input 1 that can be enabled via the Atem software.

When I originally tested the Chromecast I connected the unit to HDMI input 4 of the Atem Mini because I was already using the pass-through feature of HDMI input 1 for my desktop system. While I don't have time to test it now, in the future I might try connecting the Chromecast to HDMI input 1 using the pass-through feature to see if that changes the behavior.

I wish the Atem had the ability to pass HDCP signals, as even the most inexpensive Roland switcher (the V-02HD) is able to do, but I understand why Blackmagic may not want to go down that road.

Return to Live Production