ATEM Mini : Failed to connect.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

James Stokes

ATEM Mini : Failed to connect.

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 7:16 am

I just bought the new ATM mini and I am trying to get it running urgently for an event I have at the weekend.

I downloaded the latest ATEM software for Mac and plugged the device into my internet switch (same on as my laptop). When I run the ATEM Setup, the device is recognised and it shows it's plugged into the ethernet. When I try and click on either of the two buttons (about and setup I think) I just get a message:

Failed to connect.
Please check your network connection.

I have tried different cat6 cables and switched the device on and off.

Not a good start :(

Please could you help me resolve this?

James Stokes

Re: ATEM Mini : Failed to connect.

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 5:21 pm

I found the solution!

You need to plug a USB C cable in too. Nothing in the manual about this and I didn't actually own one.

:cry:

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 1:28 am

U can remote control ATEM MINI with USB or ETHERNET .. Or Both ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

RichardJolly

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 7:52 am

If it's like the older ATEM models, you need to set the mixer static ip address to be within the same range as the laptop ip address. If the laptop is not on a network, you can of course set an ip address etc in the laptop to match the mixer.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

wonderwebbdigital

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 5:03 pm

RichardJolly wrote:If it's like the older ATEM models, you need to set the mixer static ip address to be within the same range as the laptop ip address. If the laptop is not on a network, you can of course set an ip address etc in the laptop to match the mixer.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I am having the same issue, and have confirmed repeatedly that my iP4 settings match the ATEM Mini's. The only way it works thus far is through USB. I need it to work via ethernet so I can use the USB port for its streaming purpose.

I have read on some other forums that switches are encouraged, but those were from a few years ago. I guess it's a small cost to ensure ethernet works, but it seems odd that a direct, dedicated ethernet line in to the switcher should fail to connect.

Have also tried switching cables, but to no avail.

RichardJolly

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 5:04 pm

In the BMD software, do you get ticks when you input the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway to indicate that they are all correct? Could the IP address of the mixer be conflicting with another device on the network? If the laptop has laready picked up a DHCP address from a network, you should change the mixer details to match the laptop. While I don't know the Mini, controlling the older mixers with a variety of laptops is a regular stumbling block, but the solution is always to sort out the IP addresses.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 6:27 pm

On the Mini, using the USB port for control does not prevent it's use for streaming on the same computer. Possibly you want to use a different computer but I wanted to offer that information. The other thing to check on Mac computers is the "Service Order". Sometimes having Wifi on before the local network prevents communication. Test with Wifi off and direct connection to the Mini. Make sure both Mini and computer are on the same subnet with different last IP address values.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

ankonian

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 1:39 am

It is interesting. I have a simple ethernet switch in between the Mac laptop and the ATEM Mini. No other devices and no internet connect.

Manual IP address on ATEM 192.168.1.2/24 and MacBook 192.168.1.3/24. No router but seems to require a default so 192.168.1.1
ATEM SW ver: 8.2

With USB-c cable I can connect. But Ethernet only does not. Yet I am able to ping the ATEM from the Mac just fine. Seems like it should be working.

Stumped.

ItsCool

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 8:58 pm

@James: Thanks for the post. Exactly same issue for me. The answers helped to get it settled (RichardJolly!) Here you go:

First connect USB-C from ATEM Mini to Laptop. Next have an ethernet cable from ATEM Mini to an ethernet hub (that's what I have). You have ATEM control working AND you can start ATEM setup via File>Preferences to type a working IP-address. Key is to find the IP range for your PC/laptop that works (run ipconfig on Windows command prompt ;-) . Now find an address that gives the green check. In my case 192.168.178.4 (1 to 3 were taken?). Make sure the default gateway start with the same range (192.168.178 for me). Then disconnect USB-C and ATEM Control should still work! And USB available for streaming (or smth else if you can get an ATEM Mini Pro ;-).

Lovely product, good documentation but BMD could have given more info for the above so we could have spent hours on creating content instead of checking an old fashioned network setup! My 2 pixels....

ankonian

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 11:23 pm

I think you might not have read my post fully. I did connect via USB-C and configured the device. I have NO router (so no default router really needed, but added one just the same). This is the simplest possible network. A 5 port Gigabit switch, Atem mini on port 1, Macbook Pro on Port 2. Using 24 bit subnet mask, and the devices are .2 and .3. I have moved the Ethernet network connection before the Wifi connect on the Mac, so it should be first, and they are separate network ranges.

Loving the device, just need it to work either back to back cable or with a switch in-between. Just don't have easy access to wired internet enabled network at this location.

Thanks
Mike

ankonian

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 3:23 am

Solved for me. After updating the Mac OS X to the current release and a reboot things are working. Strange. But NOT a BlackMagic issue.

JosephGETT

PostFri May 01, 2020 7:45 am

@Ankonian,

I'm having the same issue where I can't seem to get my mini pro to stream from the ethernet port into my laptop. I have connected, and adjusted IP addresses in relation to my laptop's numbers but can't seem to get it to work. What update to the Mac OSX did you do? Do you mean to Catalina?

ngoprekologi

PostSat May 16, 2020 1:07 pm

I just solved my Atem Mini Pro connection to my MacOS, finally ... From 3 USB-C cables, only 1 is works !
I do not have any idea whats wrong with the other 2 USB-C cables, because both working properly on my gadget.
Anyway.

thatd4nt3

PostSat Jun 20, 2020 3:50 am

In case anyone else runs into the problem, here's the fix that worked for me. TLDR; at the bottom

The key to all of this is that your computer has to be on the same network as the device in order to update the network settings on it (if your network isn't set up to the 192.168.10.XX already), and you should know your regular IP address range(the number after the 168 in 192.168.XX.XX) and gateway IP address (usually the router's IP address)

My Mini's default IP address was 192.168.10.40, so in Windows, I went into Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings (on the list on the left) --> right clicked on the network I was currently connected to --> Found and highlighted the Internet Protocol Version option --> Hit the properties button beneath --> Chose "Use the following IP address" and entered 192.168.10.50 (you can put any number as the last number except 40). As long as the subnet mask looks like 255.255.255.0, you don't have to worry about anything else ---> Clicked OK to save the settings --> got out of everything else and went back to ATEM Setup --> Made sure the USB-c cable was connected --> In ATEM Setup when I clicked on the icon that looks like a little card, THAT is when I was able to get into the switcher and update its IP address(pick one that is not your router's ip address or any other devices on the network) and gateway to be on the same /24 network as my regular network ----> After setting that all up, it's just a matter of going back into the network settings (the beginning steps here) and putting everything back the way it was (Internet Protocol Version option --> Hit the properties button beneath --> Choose "Obtain an IP address automatically" ---> OK ---> exit out of all the control panel/network stuff). VOILA, the network portion of getting the device up and running is good to go.

TLDR; - Change your PCs network IP address to match the Mini's, that'll get you connected to it, once connected, update the Mini's IP address and Gateway to match your regular network, change your PC's network IP address back to auto obtain, PROFIT.

brediknight

PostFri Sep 04, 2020 2:52 am

I have a ATEM Mini Pro. Connects just fine.
I use same cables to try and connect a brand new OOTB Atem Mini Pro ISO.

Web Cam works via USB Out. Great!

But I Can't connect to manage it.. Sometimes it just says no ATEM found. Sometimes it Sees it by name and says "Please plug in". huh?

I set a Dedicated IP on the router. I have tried a direct ethernet connection to a laptop as well as through our network.

LanScans see the IP and the device and Mac Address.
But I can't connect.

1. Can I manage the ATEM with USB only?
2. Why doesn't it ship in DHCP mode? (or does it?)
3. What is the default IP ?
4. Is there a factory reset?

three hours into this...

FWIW - I was on a shoot and the same thing was happening to the production team's ATEM crew. They could no longer connect. It held up the production.

It appears you need to have the network setup in order to setup the network. wha?

jmarianu

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 5:28 am

This is the answer to the question.
The ATEM mini does not have a configurable IP address.
It is fixed at 192.168.10.240 and cannot be changed nor can it use DHCP.

The ATEM mini pro does use DHCP and is configurable.
However the ATEM Mini is NOT.
Your computer will need to be in the same subnet 192.168.10.x to connect to the ATEM mini.

It is a limitation of the $300 product.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Jonathan : U are not correct .. On ATEM MINI u can normaly set IP adress , whitch U want .. U cant use DHCP , its correct .. Look at my setting .. Im using 192.168.1.8 ..

Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 00.22.47.png
Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 00.22.47.png (72 KiB) Viewed 47085 times
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

GuilhermeTavares

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 6:04 pm

Good afternoon, I bought an ATEM Mini Pro ISO on Amazon and today, October 31st, I opened the box and used it for the first time. I started a LIVE for Youtube and everything seemed normal. But when I was 51 minutes and 21 seconds, some interference in the image started to appear. Finally, 1 hour and 10 minutes, the image was already completely pink, stained and interfering even in Multiview. my first action was to turn off the ATEM Mini Pro ISO. When connecting to the Mac, ATEM Setup asked for an update from ATEM. Try to do, but an information written "failed to update" appears. Need help.

vr_driver

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 7:39 am

Hi all, I had similar problems where I couldn't connect to my device too.

I could connect on my mac pro, but not my macbook pro.
On the Macbook Pro the software loaded and it could see the device, but no matter what I did, it wouldn't connect.
It turned out that on the mac pro, I had the matching software with the matching firmware, but on the macbook pro I did not.

So, the moral of the story is to make sure the software you are running matches the firmware to the device.
(At least for me that is). I hope this helps others.

SchwobaDubbidu

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 4:01 pm

I'm having the same issue.

It turns out that the Atem Mini Pro is very picky about IP settings. Also it doesn't answer to ping, which makes debugging not easier. Well it says "destination network unreachable".

What does work for me:

Set fixed IP in the local network with Atem Setup using USB connection.
    Connect laptop directly to the very same ethernet switch as the Atem Mini Pro

What does not work:

[list=]Connect laptop to WiFi (within same IP subnet) and try to connect via the WiFi access point to the Atem Mini Pro.[/list]

Additional complications are that I use Windows 10 in VirtualBox, since BM do not provide Linux versions of their control software. Which is a bit sad, since the software apparently does not do anything OS-specific except for the USB part. Since the version of the Atem Control software should match, it's also a good idea to jam Windows into VirtualBox, since you might end up having different Windows installations with different versions of Atem Control once you rent Blackmagic Atem switchers. After all, I can't return a switcher with a firmware different from the one I got with it, might ruin the setup of the rental service.

In contrast, the Television Studio HD does not have these limitations, works like a charm over the WiFi thing.

Note that for the Atem Mini (Pro) to work with Windows 10 in VirtualBox, you need to set the network of VirtualBox to bridge mode, which potentially exposes your Windows installation to the Internet and to the world of malware and viruses. In NAT mode, it works with the Television Studio HD.

Altogether, a disappointment. Also the manual reading that I should ask someone who knows about all of this. Why am I reading the manual then?

OK, long story short: 2 cables, 1 switch, same IP range. Everything else apt to fail.

gadge999

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 10:32 am

I have not been able to resolve this either.
I have aTEM mini pro connected to router. Set to DHCP but it does not allow configurable DNS. It does not appear in the named list when connected. I can connect and stream using USB and laptop, but want to access you tube directly from the ATEM stream button. If DHCP gives an IP address, why is DNS not highlighted?? I am not tech savvy enough unfortunately!

dougwittich

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:05 pm

I had trouble today, trying to connect my ATEM Pro to a new Mac Mini computer. I previously had it connected to a Windows 10 machine, and it worked fine. My specific problem was that OBS could see the output of the ATEM, And Facebook could see the output of OBS (running on the same computer) but the ATEM Software Control could not find the device.

The ATEM Setup software wanted to update my firmware, so I let it do that. Then, the USB connection worked for the Software control.

All my searches kept talking about Ethernet connections and IP addresses, but I was not using that. I had the simplest connection possible, a USB C to USB C cable.

Doug

CraigRHC

PostTue May 25, 2021 3:06 am

brediknight wrote:Sometimes it just says no ATEM found. Sometimes it Sees it by name and says "Please plug in". huh?

3. What is the default IP ?
4. Is there a factory reset?

It appears you need to have the network setup in order to setup the network. wha?

I too am finding myself quite confused and frustrated by related issues (when trying to use ethernet).
I have been connecting effortlessly and 100% via a USB-C cable between my macbook pro and our ATEM Mini Pro ISO (AMPI). This is our portable, remote setup.
We also use an ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K -- our installation switcher in the Worship Center.

(My Mac has the memory of the Studio Pro 4K from prior connection via the Streaming Bridge.)

So, here's what I was trying to solve:
- The Mini almost-Pro ISO has only one USB-C output, so I can choose to connect my Mac OR to record to external SSD. Not a big limitation, but I wanted to connect my Mac concurrently with the SSD via the Ethernet port on the AMPI.
- So, I have tried this 2 ways -- both fails: 1. Simply connecting an ethernet cable to my Macbook Pro. 2. Connecting via the Streaming Bridge via AMPI: Ethernet Out to Streaming Bridge, and SB USB-C output to MBP.
(Notice that the AMPI ethernet out is labeled "ATEM CONTROL", and the Streaming Bridge USB out is labeled "USB ATEM UTILITY". Surely those indicate that either or both these approaches should work. (And my memory is that one or both previously did work).
- To try to help the Software Control see the AMPI through the S.B., I copied my MBP Manual IP address. This causes the Software Control to see the installation Studio Pro 4K on the church network. But it doesn't see the physically connected AMPI! It just always says "No Switcher Connected".

Here's where I'm at:
- Neither ethernet approach worked.
- In the ATEM Setup, the former Studio Pro 4K always shows up, and the newer Streaming Bridge shows up when phyically connected. The AMPI does NOT! It doesn't show up automatically when disconnected. It does not show up when connected either way (above) via ethernet. It only shows up with a direct USB-C connection.
- When I press "+" in the ATEM Setup to ADD a new device, it asks for an IP Address. How can I know what the internal IP address is of the AMPI? So, I have tried: Open Network Prefs>Advanced>Select our WIFI>TCP-IP tab>IP V4 address, which is: 192.168.30.54. So, I copy this. Result: No ATEM Found. I have also tried changing the final number. Same result: No ATEM Found.

Can someone guide me:
How can I control via software the ATEM Mini Pro Iso utilizing the ethernet output -- either directly to MacbookPro or through the Streaming Bridge?

adamtow

PostTue May 25, 2021 3:51 am

Try this:

1. Open ATEM Setup
2. Connect your ATEM using USB and Ethernet
3. Click on the left-icon when you see your ATEM in ATEM Setup. The button looks like a menu in a circle.
4. In the window that appears (see screenshot), click Configure.
5. What are the settings set at? DHCP or Static IP?
6. Look at your Network settings on your computer. Copy the Gateway and Subnet Mask values from your computer into ATEM Setup if you are using Static IP.
7. For the IP address, choose an address on the same subnet (i.e. first three numbers are the same) that is not being used by any other devices on your network.
8. Click Save.
9. Remove the USB cable.
10. Try to connect to ATEM from ATEM Setup using the Ethernet connection.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 20.49.42.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 20.49.42.png (237.91 KiB) Viewed 36436 times
Developer of MixEffect, the best app for controlling your ATEM switchers using your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac: https://mixeffect.app

RobertFrei

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 2:06 am

My problem was that sometimes when booting up the entire system (ATEM, Ethernet Switch, HDMI Camera, Laptop that feeds powerpoint to an ATEM input, and utility computer that manages ATEM, local Enet switch, HDMI Output splitter, and HDMI Signal transmitter) - upon that initial boot, the ATEM cannot be found on the little subnet on which they reside. Rebooting just the ATEM causes it all to work properly. Reading all of these made me realize that the ATEM boots very quickly. If the ATEM and the ethernet switch to which it is connected are on the same power strip, the ATEM's fast boot will have it up and running before the ethernet switch has booted and made a connection. The ATEM, by that time, has already decided there is no network, so it disables its own ethernet port. I will report on my findings after testing it again tomorrow.

David Esrati

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 3:32 pm

Suggestion for BMD. Instead of just saying "Cannot find ATEM on Network- Connect manually" how about also suggesting- "Check USB connection to Computer"

I tested my ATEM Extreme ISO with a single internet cable jumping between the ATEM and the Computer- an old MacBook Pro 2012- with a USB C T7 drive connected to it- and hit record in the office- and everything worked fine.
Got to the job- set everything up- BUT FORGOT TO CONNECT THE USB C cable- couldn't get the ATEM to connect- couldn't find a switch- wasn't using ethernet- didn't know what happened-
switched the whole show- but forgot to turn 2 of the 4 cameras on to record internally-
didn't get an Davinci Resolve cut- lucky to record my switched version between 2 of the camera-
and stuck with just the other mixed version- so not all is shot...
On a job site- we need ALL the help we can get- lots of moving parts-
I also was running audio- for 6 microphones- directing and manning 1 camera-
PLEASE ADD "CHECK USB CONNECTION TO ATEM" to the options.... PLEASE

RockPolitics

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 6:08 pm

Maybe this will help someone:

The quick version of this is that I am getting the same error message as the rest of you, but I found that the software is actually talking to the ATEM via my network. I can use it, if I wait for the error message to clear, but I HATE things that I know aren't working the way they are supposed to.

Now the long version. To be clear, I am using a Mini Pro Iso. I connected it via usb, and it works fine. While that was still in place, I connected an ethernet cable to my switch, and went into ATEM Setup. I chose to get my IP information via DHCP, and I could see that it grabbed an address, subnet, and gateway. But when I started the ATEM Software Control, it gave the "No Switcher Connected" message. Then it brought up the Control software anyway, which I assumed meant that it was working via USB.

Just to be sure, I went to my router to see what devices were attached - it showed the ATEM by name, and the IP address it had been assigned. In other words, I know for SURE the ATEM was on the same network as my computer. Then, just for laughs, I disconnected the USB cable and turned the ATEM off and back on. It still gave me the error message... BUT it allowed me to control the ATEM with the software.

BOTTOM LINE:

When I first start the ATEM Software Control software, I am getting the message "No Switcher Connected". But then the software comes up, and it is controlling my ATEM. My USB cable is disconnected, so I know it is working through the network. In other words, even though I get the message, everything is working. You can call it a software "error", or you can just call it sloppy. The control function is working, but the error message is meaningless.

BONUS:

When I try to set the ATEM up with a static IP address, it doesn't register with my router. Right now, DHCP is handing it 10.198.1.23. When I attempt to change that to the static address 10.198.1.33 it doesn't work. I set other devices on my network to static addresses, and the moment they power up the router sees them. Not the ATEM. Someone mentioned that the ATEM doesn't respond to ping, and I found that is true - which makes troubleshooting MUCH more difficult.

alex_zim

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 10:55 am

It might help someone as I has a connection failure over the network on one of my macs and it was caused by an older version of the ATEM control software installed on that machine. As a result, it wasn't able to connect to ATEM Mini Extreme, neither with USB nor over the network. Updating to the latest ATEM control software version solved the issue.

MarQ-1

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 5:59 am

It's October-2021 and I see we're still having the "EXACT SAME" connection issues. I've had the same pc's and ATEM Mini Pro for over a year, after latest update...I can not connect through ethernet cable on my pc, or laptop? The updated software acknowledges that an ATEM Mini Pro is connected but once I select the name and attempt to connect it says, "NO SWITCHER CONNECTED"...and to add insult to injury,
I waste time going to the "OFFICIAL BLACKMAGIC SITE" only to be redirected to countless others who are experiencing the exact same issue? What has this world come to?? I didn't pay the "GENERAL PUBLIC" hundreds and thousands of dollars, so why are WE sent to a forum to figure it out on our own?

Why can't an official BMD employed person chime in and direct us to the proper solutions (Links) for properly connecting these products (which are marketed as PLUG-N-PLAY products, I had zero issues installing/connecting, updating or using my ATEM Mini-Pro over a year ago...what's happened to the setup features since the original release of this product line?
ATEM NOT CONNECTING.PNG
ATEM NOT CONNECTING.PNG (358.37 KiB) Viewed 28740 times

ATEM_NO SWITCHER CONNECTED.PNG
ATEM_NO SWITCHER CONNECTED.PNG (104.01 KiB) Viewed 28740 times

singingzoologist

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 12:58 pm

Having the same issue. In my case I think it has to do with version of firmware on the device vs. the ATEM Control Software. I rolled back an update and it got rid of another issue I was having but now I can't control my ATEM on the computer that I would like to control it on.

Just something you might check if you're on this thread and getting the "no device connected" message.
Lucas Miller
www.singingzoologist.com
Youtube.com/user/biorhythms
ATEM Mini Pro

Raparipa

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 11:30 am

Yes, the problem remains the same indeed.

If I want to record something directly to an external SSD with the ATEM Mini Pro ISO mixer, I have to reserve the USB-C cable for it. Then I will not be able to control the mixer via the Ethernet connection.

The mixer responds to the ping. It can be found using both a static and a DHCP-drawn address. But ATEM Software Control software (v. 8.5.1) will never find the device (firmware v. 8.5.1) anyway without connecting the USB-C cable as well.

Return to Live Production