Atem Mini - HDMI input/output issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mikekuetemeyer

Atem Mini - HDMI input/output issues

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 7:51 pm

I have run into an issue connecting my Atem Mini HDMI output to an LG 4K TV.

The Atem Mini HDMI output displays correctly on the TV only when showing Black, Color Bars and Color Mattes. When selected to show one of the HDMI inputs the signal drops out and the TV goes into "No signal" mode. If I Fade To Black the connection restarts to show a black video image.

- The Atem Mini does not have this issue on other displays I have tested.
- I tested a second Atem Mini with this LG TV and had the same specific issues.
- the problem was the same with all HDMI inputs on the Atem Mini, 1-4
- This LG TV has had no issues connecting to a variety of other HDMI signals such as camera, Apple TV, DVD, etc.

Any thoughts on what is causing this problem or how to fix it are appreciated. Thanks

bkimminus

Re: Atem Mini - HDMI input/output issues

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 7:33 pm

I have the exact same Problem but with a Samsung TV
Did you get a solution yet?

Koen De Paepe

PostFri Feb 21, 2020 10:48 am

I seem to have the same problem here. I get audio through the HDMI and I'm able to turn that on however video only works when I send Input 1 straight to the output. Not when I'm using preview/program as the output.
Could this be an HDCP issue?

Koen De Paepe

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 9:15 am

I have just managed to solve the exact same problem I was having by putting a cheap HDMI splitter in between the Atem mini and the LG TV to remove any HDCP misunderstandings between the TV and the mixer

Frank Engel

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Between the output of an ATEM and the input of a connected device there cannot be an HDCP problem. HDCP problems can only crop up with devices whose outputs are connected to an input on the ATEM.

If that splitter "solved" your problem that's great, but it is for some reason other than HDCP.

Koen De Paepe

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 2:56 pm

If its not HDCP then I would really like to find out what the exact problem is that makes you able to direct your inputs straight to the TV with the Atem software but as soon as you try to send an input or a still the TV says 'no input'
Fixed colours and colour bars worked perfectly fine on the TV it was only when trying to put content from one of the inputs on screen that it gave the issue.

Frank Engel

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Is the splitter between the ATEM and the TV, or between the ATEM and the source (input)?

Also, is the source on input 1 and the direct/low-latency output mode being used, or is this impacting other inputs as well?

Koen De Paepe

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 3:54 pm

Splitter is between the Atem and the TV.

I've used all 4 inputs with different devices (macbook, windows laptop, cheap consumer dvd player) and when using the output in programmer or preview mode in any resolution and framerate available the problem occured.
When routing the output as any of those inputs (bypassing the mixer) the problem dissapeared.
Using the exact same configuration with a macbook on input 1 sending 1080P50 and an MSI windows10 laptop sending 1080p50 but then an HDMI splitter in between the TV and the Atem output the TV recognised signal from those inputs and everything worked normal. The HDMI splitter was advertised as HDCP bypass to be used to connect a PS3 to a new TV.

Frank Engel

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 4:48 pm

Koen De Paepe wrote:Splitter is between the Atem and the TV.

I've used all 4 inputs with different devices (macbook, windows laptop, cheap consumer dvd player) and when using the output in programmer or preview mode in any resolution and framerate available the problem occured.
When routing the output as any of those inputs (bypassing the mixer) the problem dissapeared.

Interesting. Then it might actually be HDCP if the ATEM is simply passing the signal through unchanged. I would expect the USB-C out to also fail to display the image in this case.

The HDMI splitter was advertised as HDCP bypass to be used to connect a PS3 to a new TV.

That is particularly interesting as newer TVs most likely support HDCP, and even more interesting because defeating HDCP could potentially land them in legal trouble...

Tobias Alexander John

PostMon Mar 02, 2020 11:57 pm

I have exactly the same problem with my LG 4K tv which was first out two years ago! Any help will be very welcome as I really need to get this up and running as a QLab webcam input for a show in 2 weeks! I don’t want to use my emergency backup of old cameras connected to old projectors!

Going to try very old Samsung tomorrow and other monitors. Will post results!

Only got the Atem mini today and was last one on shelf from 4th UK stockist I tried so hope it’s a teething problem not a faulty switcher.. USBC is fine but I need hdmi too

T

mikekuetemeyer

PostWed Mar 04, 2020 4:40 pm

Connecting an HDMI splitter between the mixer and the LG TV worked for me as well. Since the ATEM Mini outputs non-input video (black/color bars) it does seem like it must be the HDCP blocking the connection.

nsmhd93

PostSun Mar 08, 2020 4:59 pm

Thank god im not the only one having this issue ive had a support call open with Blackmagic support since 3rd February!

I have the issue on both my 4ktv's one being an LG49sk8000 and also a newer Hisense hb557100k TV.
After weeks of back and forth with BMD support i sent my unit back for testing at their lab and have been sent a replacement unit which has the exact same issue.

Interestingly by fluke while testing the new unit i plugged my Sony camcorder in as an input and had the exposure set too low giving a dark image. While in this state the TV kept signal from the ATEM mini. As soon as i turned the exposure up the signal was lost!

Further testing reproduced the same issue having low exposure with a dark (black level ) image keeps the signal, while expsore is low if I point the camera at the ATEM Mini with its lights it stutters and again turning up exposer slightly the signal cuts out.

also during testing

When set to picture in picture with the mini picture the active HDMI source sometimes you get a distorted mini image other times a black screen but active signal.
Cutting to a still from MP1 source it goes to black screen
When cutting to colour bars it goes to black screen
When Picture in picture/key er does work if you change some of the settings say add a shadow border it cuts to a black screen.

And like others going though a cheap splitter my AVR etc the image is fine and alos fine on my PC monitors.

Cant see it being a HDCP issue it seems to be when a bright image or anything above black level is disaplyed it cuts the signal the ATEM Mini must be sending non-complaint HDMI signals out to the TV and the TV does not accpet them. Cheap splitters and monitors must be more tolerant to this.

Ive fed this back to BMD Support will wait and see what they come back with.

lukefromaus

PostMon Mar 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Hi all, any more luck with this? I’ve had same issue (although I haven’t tried black screen - just no signal full stop.) it was actually working for me when I first got the unit. But a few days later it stopped. I’m pretty new to all this and wondered if I’d fried something due tot leaving it on overnight - I noticed it runs quite hot?

The only time I seems to get a signal was when I found a setting in the changing the Res, FPS and refresh rate... one of the settings caused the screen to temporarily pick up a signal, but then went again...

Could this be a design flaw in all units?

edwardsamuel

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 7:15 am

I dont get output on my ATEM mini. It was nice on the day one, now i see flickering screen.

yurkomik

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 7:22 pm

:!: Same Issue. LG 4K TV. Works with Camera 1 direct output. All other modes - No signal. Any hope blackmagic will solve that?

nsmhd93

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 3:19 pm

Well ive just updated my ATEM Mini to the new 8.2 version of the software and still no luck with getting a proper output to either of my 4K TV (LG/Hisense). I have made another video demonstrating the issues and this time showing the exposer thing with the camera as they wanted to see that.
Hopefully they will get this sorted.
Heres the video in case anyone wants to see the issue in action

Quadri

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 9:47 am

Mine is a bit more complicated. On my output, I have 1 Acer projector, 1 LG projector, 3 Hisense TVs, 3 LG TVs all picking signals from one HDMI splitter. All signals are flickering and when I change the resolution setting on the software, some will show while other will say bad signal format. It’s a hall

Denny Smith

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Me thinks the splitter is the issue here. You can not take a single signal, and just split in into several outputs and expect a full output on each device connection. The more you hook up the, greater the signal loss. If you need to feed several devices from one output, you need a device that can take the input, re-clock and redistribute the signal without loss (like a distribution amp,). HDMI is very sensitive to signal loss over long cable runs or the use of multiple passive splitters.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Quadri

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 10:21 am

I hope there will be an update soon enough to fix all this fuzz because as it is at the moment, the device is just useless for me

joefish

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 12:02 pm

I just received my Atem Mini Pro. Same issue here with my Samsung 4K TV.
I actually see the multi view grid with all the information and black camera preview windows when nothing is plugged to Atem Mini pro's inputs!!

As soon as I connect any of my cameras to the Atem Mini Pro's HDMI inputs, my TV tells me there's no signal.
I even tried with a cheap bi-directional switcher but no luck. I guess it should be a splitter instead of a switcher, but I don't have one at hand. Also it seems weird having to use extra splitters to get the signal to a standard TV. Any comments from BMD? Will there be a fix for this?

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 6:33 pm

What is the frame rate of the camera connected to HDMI input 1 on the ATEM Mini? Connect this camera directly to your TV and see if it send s signal to the monitor. The ATEM Mini will set its output frame rate based on HDMI input 1 device setting.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

joefish

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 10:31 pm

Denny Smith wrote:What is the frame rate of the camera connected to HDMI input 1 on the ATEM Mini? Connect this camera directly to your TV and see if it send s signal to the monitor. The ATEM Mini will set its output frame rate based on HDMI input 1 device setting.
Cheers

All my cameras are set to output 1080p. I tried with different rates, 24,25,30,50 and 60fps all work fine with the cameras connected directly to my TV. If I connect them through the ATEM Mini Pro, I get the 'no signal'-message and the multi view grid disappears, eventhough it's displayed fine when no cameras are connected to ATEM Mini Pro.

Everything works fine with my small 5" monitor. It just would have been so convenient to use a large TV when available, and I really don't understand why it doesn't work.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 2:23 am

OK, when connected directly your TV is doing a handshake with your camera to set a matching resolution, it appears the TV monitor is unable to get a complete handshake with the ATEM Mini Pro.
Others here have reported a similar issue with some TV monitors.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

AndyMcHardy

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 11:02 am

Following on from Denny's comments. If it is a handshake (EDID) issue a 'Dr HDMI' may help as it sits in between the two devices and allows you to choose the EDID presented. Used to be used a lot with GoPros
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

Ollie Kenchington

PostTue May 05, 2020 10:27 am

My ATEM Mini Pro arrived yesterday and is exhibiting the same issue. I've plugged my 55" LG OLED TV in to the HDMI Output and it just won't see it at all. Plugged in my Atomos Shinobi 5" monitor and it displays the M/V interface straight away. It'll do for now, but I want it on the big TV, not a tiny little screen. Fingers crossed BMD fix this issue soon.

timgregory

PostTue May 05, 2020 1:34 pm

Have you tried this on a shorter hdmi cable?

It wouldn't surprise me if it's the length being on the limit for dropouts.

Tim

Denny Smith

PostTue May 05, 2020 4:23 pm

You need to set the ATEM Mini to a resolution that the TV monitor will accept, or get a converter like Dr. HDMI to get a proper handshake connection. Try setting the Mini to 1080p30/29.97
Cheers'
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frank S.

PostFri May 08, 2020 9:09 am

I'm new to this and I'll be getting my ATEM Mini Pro next week for a broadcast the following week and I ordered an LG 27" TV.
Do you think I could bypass these issues if I use a higher quality broadcast monitor? I read earlier in these posts that It seemed to work on a smaller monitor that wasn't a TV. But I too want it on a bigger screen. Any suggestions on that would be helpful. Thanks all.

Ollie Kenchington

PostFri May 08, 2020 5:03 pm

Denny Smith wrote:You need to set the ATEM Mini to a resolution that the TV monitor will accept, or get a converter like Dr. HDMI to get a proper handshake connection. Try setting the Mini to 1080p30/29.97
Cheers'

Thanks Denny, but I set it to 25fps and it’s made no difference.

Denny Smith

PostFri May 08, 2020 5:07 pm

See Greg’s comment below, I think he nailed the issue you are having.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri May 08, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MambaFiber.com

PostFri May 08, 2020 5:38 pm

OOTB, the mini format is set to Auto. When nothing is plugged in it defaults to 1080p59.94. Thats what it's going to handshake with your TV. If you plug in a 1080p30 into input one, the Mini will change it's format and output. Now the TV is expecting 59.94 and getting 30 - I'm not surprised if the picture goes away.

Try setting your Mini to one of the static formats (anything except Auto), disconnect/reconnect your TV and see if this makes a difference. Alternatively, connect and turn on all your input sources into the Mini before you connect/turn on your TV. This way the TV will sync to a format that will stay the same...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

lukasz.jozwinski

PostMon May 11, 2020 11:27 am

I got the same issue. Raported it to BMD, even got my unit replaced via RMA. Still the same.

I got multiview when there is no HDMI input, when I input anything via HDMI (2 cameras tested and computer) I got "no signal" on my BENQ SW270W. Although it works fine with my 8 years old Plasma TV (Panasonic).

I got myself Atomos Ninja V (haven't planned to buy it), and signal looped via Atomos works fine on my BENQ now. Not the best solution, cause it's expensive and more clunky.

Tested serveral HDMI cables, 2 cameras, computer as input. USB output is finem but HDMI out does not work with BENQ (and also NEC E231W - this one never works but it's via HDMI to DVI converter).

Solution by MambaFiber.com does no work for me. Tested all modes, reconnected display to ATEM. Still the same.

Ollie Kenchington

PostTue May 12, 2020 6:54 pm

lukasz.jozwinski wrote:I got the same issue. Raported it to BMD, even got my unit replaced via RMA. Still the same.

I got multiview when there is no HDMI input, when I input anything via HDMI (2 cameras tested and computer) I got "no signal" on my BENQ SW270W. Although it works fine with my 8 years old Plasma TV (Panasonic).

I got myself Atomos Ninja V (haven't planned to buy it), and signal looped via Atomos works fine on my BENQ now. Not the best solution, cause it's expensive and more clunky.

Tested serveral HDMI cables, 2 cameras, computer as input. USB output is finem but HDMI out does not work with BENQ (and also NEC E231W - this one never works but it's via HDMI to DVI converter).

Solution by MambaFiber.com does no work for me. Tested all modes, reconnected display to ATEM. Still the same.

Yeah, not great is it. Someone previously mentioned it was a YUV vs RGB output issue. If that is the case, why can’t BMD make it so you can choose which it outputs, like you can on the Ultrastudio 4K Mini. :cry:

TonyThigpen

PostTue May 12, 2020 10:20 pm

You might want to try today's update 8.2.2:
What's new in ATEM 8.2.2
Adds frame rate conversion to HDMI out.
Improved graphics quality in multiview display.

Tony T.

Paddy McCann

PostWed May 20, 2020 8:27 pm

Hey guys I ran into this issue myself yesterday and thought I would throw my hat in the ring. I actually did not know there was an issue initially because I was looping my HDMI output through a small HD502 monitor and the TV was receiving the secondary feed. The only small issue is I am receiving no audio to the TV and so I tried to direct connection to see if that would resolve the problem and in fact it wouldn't even show up which led me to this forum. I'm back to looping through the small HD but it would be so great to have sound hitting the TV and bouncing back or be a little delayed via Bluetooth for monitoring the mix. I watch with interest to see if anyone can provide a definitive solution.

Denny Smith

PostWed May 20, 2020 10:24 pm

There is a FW update out to correct HDMI output connection issues.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

mallen79

PostMon May 25, 2020 1:59 pm

got the latest software update, HDMI output not working out to a TV monitor,

the only thing that works is camera direct since its bypassing,
is there a firmware update? any fixes yet?

mallen79

PostWed May 27, 2020 3:52 am

[img]/Users/criss/Desktop/99158852_10216849709648303_866329752967839744_n.jpg[/img]
this solved the issue! ;)

the picture didn't show lol

I got the BMD MicroConverter, used the HDMI in and out
Last edited by mallen79 on Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

nsmhd93

PostWed May 27, 2020 10:14 am

Tried latest firmware 8.2.2 and still exact same issues as before.
really wish they would fix this!

danderson

PostWed May 27, 2020 8:27 pm

I have the same problem. I think I have tried most of these things. My Firmware is up to date. I can use it with the streaming view on my computer but obviously that isn't ideal. Any other solutions. Thanks

bobcozzi

PostFri May 29, 2020 1:46 am

I hate to say it but, me too. No HDMI output and then a "no signal" on my 4k Samsung.
The USB-C output does seem to be working on a connected Mac computer though.
Tried different HDMI cables, different monitor, and so on.
Even unplugged the USB-C to see if it could only do one at a time--but no difference.
That's a shame. Just got mine today, so back it goes early next week unless we can find something to make it work.

Curtis Artsoap

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 6:22 am

I guys,

I got the same/similar problem.
On my monitor the Multiview, Program doesn't show, but the Camera Direct. So I mesuere the output.
I found out, it's related to the Frequenz. First I got 25Hz. Doesn't work, on 50Hz an d 60Hz it run perfekt.

So you have to switch the Output to 50p or 60p. Try that, on my case it was the solution.

Jayzteroid

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 7:24 pm

I'm having the same with ATEM mini pro. Colors, bars and Camera 1 Direct are ok, nothing else isn't.
TV says No signal, Video Assist also.

I had a chance to test HDMI OUT with Epiphan Capture Tool and DVI 2 USB 3.0.
The Capture Tool was able to show multiview from HDMI OUT of ATEM mini pro just right.
The Tool shows some parameters and it was receiving 1920 x 1080 @ 60,2Hz when ATEM mini pro is set 1080p60.

I'm not that experienced with video, but I think that HDMI OUT is working just fine as a pipeline,
but there is something about the format it tries to output.

I have to admit that this is really annoying issue and I hope the solution is coming shortly.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 2:04 am

I had no issues running 1080p29.97 on a ATEM Mini to output on the HDMI multiview, program and camera views to a Dell computer monitor that has an HDMI input. It worked great, at several resolutions, including 1080p59.94. It also worked with a SmallHD Focus monitor.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

P-Lewis

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 5:08 am

I have experienced this exact same issue with the ATEM Mini Pro and a GeChic 1305H Mobile Monitor. The monitor doesn't connect when the ATEM HDMI output is set at Multiview (and all other options except Camera 1 Direct) but when I select the 'Camera 1 Direct' option, the monitor and the ATEM connect.

After viewing this thread, I put an HDMI splitter between the ATEM and the monitor and everything including Multiview work as expected.

A new thought for this discussion, the HDMI splitter I used has a switch that can be set to 'EDID STD' or 'EDID TV'. Everything works when 'EDID TV' is selected and it goes back to the original issue when 'EDID STD' is selected.

Hopefully this information will help BM engineers to come up with a firmware solution to resolve this issue?

Jayzteroid

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 6:03 am

I connected the ATEM mini pro to my desktop PCs display, Samsung U32H850, and multiview worked just fine.
This makes no sense to me.
I'd imagine that Video Assist should be the one that works flawlessly.

- - - - -

I did a test with my old Samsung TV.
It was just plug'n'play type of case, multiview worked immediately when I plugged in the HDMI cable.

Foreigner

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:17 am

Same issue with my atem mini pro / LG OLED 4K TV

I have installed the last software update. Behavior is different now:

I do not have any input at all now (except camera 1 input), no other hmi output even with all hdmi input turned off. (Before updating: multiscreen preview interface with black screens when all hdmi input turned off, and « no signal » with hdmi input).

It’s a serious issue. Blackmagic has to communicate about it (situation, reason, list / specification of compatible / incompatible tv monitors, workarounds etc).

Foreigner

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 6:02 am

Some news?

Foreigner

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 3:37 pm

Koen De Paepe wrote:I have just managed to solve the exact same problem I was having by putting a cheap HDMI splitter in between the Atem mini and the LG TV to remove any HDCP misunderstandings between the TV and the mixer

Hi Koen, I confirm this resolves our issue.
Thanks again for your help and time, here and through mp.
Regards,
Joseph

roadrunner

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 1:53 am

I'm having the same issues, attempting to run HDMI output to a projector, while capturing program feed to PC via USB.

What we've been told by tech support here in Australia is that there is an issue with colour space - ATEM Mini/Pro is capable of YUV only and if the projector or other device doesn't take or isn't expecting it, then it won't work.

I have had to abandon use of the ATEM for this purpose but it's just a shame and seems there is no documentation about this.
System 1: Dell Precision 7810, Dual Xeon 2620, 72GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Win10 pro, Resolve Studio 17.4.
System 2: Custom build Intel i7-12700K, 64GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Ubuntu 22.04, Resolve Studio 17.4.
Next

Return to Live Production