Atem Mini - HDMI input/output issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

roadrunner

Re: Atem Mini - HDMI input/output issues

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 6:51 am

Three weeks later, I'm still working on this. Definitely eliminated the possibility of problems with our HDMI extenders by taking the ATEM Mini and the Laptop up the ladder and connecting to the projector directly.

If anyone knows of a device that can rectify the issues, please post here. (tried splitters, haven't found one that works; and tried the BMD bi-directional converter as well, no luck). Keen to know if something like a Decimator (HDMI scaler) would help.
System 1: Dell Precision 7810, Dual Xeon 2620, 72GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Win10 pro, Resolve Studio 17.4.
System 2: Custom build Intel i7-12700K, 64GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Ubuntu 22.04, Resolve Studio 17.4.

Darren Kelly

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 2:28 am

I had issues with a 32 inch curved monitor at 1080p. Now it runs on a 28 inch Samsung monitor.

While figuring it was the monitor, I also bought the shortest and best quality HDMI cables I could.

The Studio is happy except me as there is so much to learn :)

hbecerra

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Any link to the cheap HDMI spliter that worked for any of you ? amazon, bhphoto or similar ? I would like to try to see if that works.

hbecerra

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 8:00 pm

FOLLOW UP

I noticed some ideas regarding the inclusion of a "middle device" between the ATEM mini HDMI-out and the external device (Epson projector 1780W) so I opted to put a BMD Video Assistant 7" in the video out and everything start working as expected, that device can negotiate without a problem with the ATEMmini and send the signal to the EPSON.

I would like to see this annoyance fixed in a future firmware update in the ATEM mini, there must be some "basic" HDMI negotiation that almost all the devices can understand, by the way the epson supports, 1080p 30 and 60fps so the problem must be in a deeper layer of the negotiation. maybe DRM or another "special" kind of feature in the HDMI standard.

Hope this helps another user in the future

Olaf at BMForum

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 10:03 pm

roadrunner wrote:Three weeks later, I'm still working on this. Definitely eliminated the possibility of problems with our HDMI extenders by taking the ATEM Mini and the Laptop up the ladder and connecting to the projector directly.

If anyone knows of a device that can rectify the issues, please post here. (tried splitters, haven't found one that works; and tried the BMD bi-directional converter as well, no luck). Keen to know if something like a Decimator (HDMI scaler) would help.

Just unpacked the ISO today, same problem with LG 5k 32".
ATEM Mini Pro ISO -> Atomos Ninja -> LG and the screen comes to life.
Setting different frame rates for Video norm ist passed on to Atomos and to LG

Schineller

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Has anyone heard from Blackmagic regarding this issue? Is the HDMI splitter the best solution?
Thanks for your time.

joebeloved

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 3:17 am

All my inputs are ok... after a month of using it suddenly "HDMI OUTPUT" not working. Any solution?

USAMedia

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 8:39 pm

splitter worked for me too.
Alex Ramirez
Media Producer/Musician

joebeloved

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 2:06 pm

What type or brand of splitter? Thanks!

sechzehnneun

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 10:52 am

So I got my Atem Mini yesterday and since then I try to get some signals out of it...

I plugged in a Sony FS7 in HDMI1 and a Panasonic G5 in HDMI2, the Mini is connected to the Desktop via a USB-C cable and a TV via HDMI Out.

The only signal I get is when I choose "Camera 1 Direct" in the Atem software's menue - then I get the FS7 feed or the Pana G5. I don't get any feed on the preview screen by selecting the feeds from the Mini buttons or selecting different cameras in the softwares' menu.

What's more confusing that after plugging in the Mini via USB-C in a Win 10 Desktop / Win 7 Notebook the drivers seems to be installed properly but no program recognizes the 'Blackmagic Webcam' which shows well up in the hardware. I tried OBS, Adobe Connect, Zoom, etc. There is just none Webcam present to choose.

I'm running really out of ideas here, tried 4 TVs and 2 Monitors as output, tried different cables, cables not longer than 3m, different cameras, different softwares.

Maybe someone has something left to try. I did see the solution with a splitter and I'm waiting to hear which one it was but that wouldn't solve my webcam issues.

Help is so welcome...

Edit: I got the feed from the FS7 and the feed from my notebook into OBS. The mini is now detected as a webcam but when selecting it in GoToWebinar it says can't select webcam as it runs in another app...

BTW I also don't get any audio embedded via HDMI.

But still I try to find out why I don't get any feed on the output TV...

fabiankwok

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 8:03 am

Hi all,

I seem to have a different issue where the HDMI splitter is actually causing problems and not helping. Somehow from Mac to Atem mini pro through HDMI splitter, I get a black screen but signal is detected. If I were to go straight from Mac to Atem, it works fine. Any ideas?

I've attached a drawing of my set up as well.
Attachments
Atem Issue.jpg
Atem Issue.jpg (159.07 KiB) Viewed 6783 times

Teacherman

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 9:15 am

I've bought an Atem Mini and after 4 hours use the HDMI output stopped. Tried different cables, cameras and monitors, which all worked fine with each other, but still no HDMI output from the Atem Mini despite downloading the latest update. Seems to be a common problem. Is BM going to fix this?

andyboyduk

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 1:46 pm

This is a very useful (if frustrating) chain of posts.
My ATEM Mini Pro shows very similar symptoms when connected to an LG49UH850V UHD TV.
In fact trying to output to a UHD/4k TV seems to be the core theme here.

I have just made the following trial which suggests that the fault is not really caused by the HDMI input signal itself, but is due to a bug in the way that the ATEM unit handles colour data:

When I power up the unit with no input cables attached, the multiview appears on the TV.
Now if I fire up ATEM Software Control and load any colour image into the Media pool "Stills 1", the HDMI output to the TV immediately crashes.
If I load a greyscale image into Still 1 instead, that immediately restores the HDMI output.
I would be really interested if any of you fellow posters could try that simple test and see if it is the same for you.

Possibly this relates to previous observations that the ATEM mini series use YUV rather than RGB color space??? If you have a camera that can output a greyscale HDMI signal will we see that signal does not crash the HDMI output? Nathan Morgan noted that if his camera output was very dark, the HDMI output from the ATEM was sustained. Perhaps again it is the colour element to the signal that causes the crash?

As others have already commented, the simple workaround is to add an HDMI splitter to the ATEM output. Then all these strange issues just vanish.
Attachments
Techole splitter.jpg
Techole splitter.jpg (35.44 KiB) Viewed 6611 times

strangemood

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Mini started to act like an extended monitor screen and stopped functioning as preview out yesterday. BDM doesn't know how to fix it.

PENTAMAVIK

PostWed Oct 28, 2020 12:49 am

I got the same issue with LG 55UK6540PWD 4K TV,
always displays no signal except COL1, COL2, and Camera 1 Direct by the software,
and finally I found the easiest way of solution:

get a HDMI splitter or converter between ATEM Mini and TV,
here's what I bought below and both are work perfectly.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a ... 3e1131aaec

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=40 ... l9nbta1ffb

roadrunner

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 10:10 am

As a follow up from my previous post.... We used a Decimator MD-HX to convert the ATEM Mini's YUV output back to RGB so the projector could see it. Considering its cost it does add more to the cost of using the ATEM for this application but we still felt it was a good solution so spent the money on the Decimator unit.
System 1: Dell Precision 7810, Dual Xeon 2620, 72GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Win10 pro, Resolve Studio 17.4.
System 2: Custom build Intel i7-12700K, 64GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Ubuntu 22.04, Resolve Studio 17.4.

sechzehnneun

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 12:25 pm

After having massive issues with getting any ouput signal from my Atem Mini and trying everything from different cables, cameras and splitters I somehow got it to work. The procedure is really simple and stable and I never had any issues since then.

I just plugged all devices to the Mini like cameras, screens, mics ect. Then turned on and powerd up all devices.

And then finally the plugged in the Mini. All devices showed up and the Mini works like a charm.

Maybe I just missed that procedure stated in the manual or I just wasn't bright enough to do so but I don't remember reading it nor I did find it yet. But for me it works.

Maybe this helps some of you, maybe some of you know this from the start but having different issues.

That's all I can help with

sechzehnneun

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 8:23 am

Just im case you missed it - Update 8.5.2 seems to have solved a lot of connectivity issues.

For me my post above is kind of obsolete as the Mini now recognizes all in- and outputs as supposed.

Hope for you all aswell.

zfields

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 2:00 am

The default output for the ATEM Mini is 1080p @ 24Hz.

It turned out 24Hz was incompatible with my Samsung monitor. I had to use the ATEM Setup software (packaged w/ the ATEM Switchers software) to update the output to 60Hz, then it worked as expected.

sechzehnneun

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 1:57 pm

zfields wrote:The default output for the ATEM Mini is 1080p @ 24Hz.

It turned out 24Hz was incompatible with my Samsung monitor. I had to use the ATEM Setup software (packaged w/ the ATEM Switchers software) to update the output to 60Hz, then it worked as expected.

What zfields said: since 8.5.3 I have to manually set the output to 50p or 60p otherwise my display stays black. Cameras feed is at 25p though.

cpvm2021

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 6:06 am

I solved my problem by changing the framerate of my ATEM MINI PRO (default is 24fps).
Please run the "ATEM Software Control", click on the gear icon on the bottom left, and select the "Video Standard" either to 1080p60, 1080p59.94, or 1080p50.
My explanation: not all TVs or monitors support all the possible framerates! And the ATEM Mini Pro can't adjust itself automatically, it needs you to adjust it manually.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 11.45.07 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 11.45.07 PM.jpeg (165.47 KiB) Viewed 6215 times

k.muellner

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 10:37 am

Hello there,

did Blackmagic ever say something about that topic. i called the support but they seem to be ignorant. The Emplyee could not answer why the atem puts out stills and colors wery well to my beamer but as soon as you get a cam signal it wont.
The Employee really wanted to tell me that maybe theres a problem because a cam has "moving" content.
Just ridiculous. as if moving pixels would be the problem.
i laughed and ended that conversation politely

bill@rcc

PostTue Jul 13, 2021 3:03 am

Do we have a resolution on this issue yet?

We are having the issue with our new Front of House projector!

Frank Engel

PostTue Jul 13, 2021 10:19 am

k.muellner wrote:the atem puts out stills and colors wery well to my beamer but as soon as you get a cam signal it wont.

This describes a different problem than what everyone else is discussing here; if the ATEM is correctly outputting the internal generators then the issue is not between the ATEM and the projector but between the camera and the ATEM (assuming you have configured a specific frame rate and are not in auto mode - that can also cause this as mentioned earlier).

The first step is to make sure the camera output works if connected directly to your projector, bypassing the ATEM, if the camera is set up the same way you are trying to use it with the ATEM. If not, the problem is clearly with the camera or the cable.

The second thing to check is that the output format of the camera is one of the input formats supported by the ATEM. If it is not, and you cannot adjust the camera to use a compatible format, you will need to place a converter in between.

SpiderKenny

PostTue Jul 13, 2021 2:16 pm

Frank Engel wrote:
k.muellner wrote:the atem puts out stills and colors wery well to my beamer but as soon as you get a cam signal it wont.

This describes a different problem than what everyone else is discussing here; ....

Maybe not.
If the ATEM is outputting illegal SMPTE Values, then the TV is well within it's rights to reject the signal.
This would explain the phenomena where reducing the aperture on the camera works, until you open it again.

The cheap splitter is probably clipping the digital output range to the legal SMPTE values.

andyzhengster@gmail.com

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 12:45 am

bkimminus wrote:I have the exact same Problem but with a Samsung TV
Did you get a solution yet?

I see many friend discuss why atem mini pro cannot display on samsung tv.
you just add an old hdmi splitter (before 2018 made). it will display on samsung tv.

atem mini pro can not be compatible new hdmi splitter that ic macrosilicon MS9332 inside.
it is very very pity. in the market ( ebay or amazon..), 99% hdmi splitter market share are MS9332 IC inside.
why need add OLD hdmi splitter?
before 2018, macrosilicon MS9332 DO NOT release.
that is why many friend discuss their hdmi splitter cannot work on atem mini pro.
conclusion:
1. if your atem mini pro can not display on tv monitor, please add a hdmi splitter
2. this hdmi splitter can not be Macrosilicon ic MS9332 inside.
3. just 1% mareket share of hdmi splitter is NOT made by Macrosilicon

bill@rcc

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 4:55 am

I have just found a current model device which will address this issue.

http://decimator.com/Products/MiniConve ... MD-LX.html

Decimator MD-LX.png
Decimator MD-LX.png (212.22 KiB) Viewed 4461 times

Set the device to 'Auto' mode, connect ATEM Mini output to HDMI-Input, and Epson projector to HDMI-Output and it works :-). The first time I have successfully got the ATEM Mini to display on our Front of House projector.

The equivalent bidirectional converter from BMD doesn't work :-(

Please Please BMD, acknowledge this issue and issue updated firmware for our Mini's so we don't have to play Russian roulette whenever we connect to a new display device as to whether it will work, and then resort to your competitors products to hack around the problem!

bill@rcc

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 5:24 am

Kudos to roadrunner who previously posted that a different Decimator product would address the issue.

mrschower

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 4:42 pm

I had the same problem with my projector not accepting the HDMI output.

The cheapest solution I found was converting the HDMI output to SDI and back to HDMI again.
I am using 2 cheap Converter:
HDMI -> SDI and SDI -> HDMI

tomtuks

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 3:50 pm

Hi! I just posted in another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=122818#p984250

Get an old splitter or if you're in Europe, try to get Manhattan 4K Compact 4-port splitter, I tested it and it works (ATEM HDMI output to a monitor and a projector).
I've heard converting to SDI and back to HDMI also works.

eMilty

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 9:55 am

In a production last week I had similar problems with the projector in the room. It was flickering all the time. I was feeding it an AUX out via a BMD SDI to HDMI mini converter. My solution was to switch to a Decimator MD-HX to convert from SDI to HDMI. No conversion or scaling, just straight from SDI in to HDMI output and the projector's image was stable.

litprodukcija

PostSat Oct 07, 2023 8:57 pm

SpiderKenny wrote:
Frank Engel wrote:

This describes a different problem than what everyone else is discussing here; ....

Maybe not.
If the ATEM is outputting illegal SMPTE Values, then the TV is well within it's rights to reject the signal.
This would explain the phenomena where reducing the aperture on the camera works, until you open it again.

The cheap splitter is probably clipping the digital output range to the legal SMPTE values.

I have a strange problem that might seem off-topic but it might be related, so please bear with me. I get frame drops over USB when I use ATEM as a webcam in OBS or in Zoom, but ONLY when the image is very bright or the ISO is high. Since it's MJPEG, there should be no motion artifacts, so I think it's not due to high-ISO noise. It could be due to the camera outputting a full range signal (0-255) instead of limited (16-235). Now, since people are experiencing issues with the HDMI output not being compliant (i.e. suddenly working when you make the image darker), is it possible that ATEM has some issues outputting full range signals (both on HDMI and over USB)?
Previous

Return to Live Production