ATEM Mini and GotoMeeting/Webinar

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

nikwashere

ATEM Mini and GotoMeeting/Webinar

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 10:49 pm

I can get Microsoft Teams and Zoom to recognize my Mini as a webcam and show the live feed.
When using GotoMeeting or Webinar, the dropdown menu shows the Blackmagic Design as an option, but it continues to show a spinning loading icon and never displays the video feed.
I understand that GTM uses a 640x480p resolution for each screen, but is that what is limiting GTM from displaying the feed? Does it not just resize as needed?
spinning.JPG
spinning.JPG (16.06 KiB) Viewed 3720 times

Opening the BM Software, it doesn't appear I can set the resolution to anything less than 1080
resolution.JPG
resolution.JPG (18.97 KiB) Viewed 3720 times

Has anyone had success with getting the Mini to work with GTM?
Maybe BlackMagic can provide a firmware update that allows the user to choose a resolution that works with GTM?

Looking into other options that support the mini and allow GTM/W functionality.

PaulDash

Re: ATEM Mini and GotoMeeting/Webinar

PostWed Mar 18, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi,

Didn't want to leave this without a reply. There's a similar discussion brewing on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=107606

I'm having the same issue. My config is ATEM Mini 8.1.2 attached to Windows 10 Pro Build 18362 with GoToMeeting 10.8.0 Build 16786.
  • Could the ATEM Mini support down-scaling to 720p ?
  • Could GTM add support for a 1080p signal?
If there's enough of us, perhaps we could make things happen?

PaulDash

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 6:05 pm

There is now a thread on the LogMeIn (owner of GoToMeeting) forum about this. Seems as it's a software issue and the ATEM Mini works with every other . Go there to voice your concern and have them fix it for all of us:

https://community.logmein.com/t5/GoToTr ... d-p/213867

pwnell

PostFri May 22, 2020 9:17 pm

It seems like the easiest fix and most versatile solution would be if BlackMagic could implement 720p output resolutions as well - that would solve this issue completely in my opinion. Is this something BM is considering in a future firmware update? I actually just returned a BM UltraStudio 4K Mini for an ATEM Mini Pro to work with Gotowebinar, only to find out it will upscale my camera's output and not allow it to work with Gotomeeting :(

MobileJoel

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 12:27 am

My current workaround for the ATEM Mini and GotoMeeting Involved OBS Studio. I run OBS Studio. Adjust the Video output from 1080 to 720, then Run OBS Virtual Cam. Then I used OBS Virtual Cam as my webcam for GotoMeeting. Lots of pieces, but hey we're using a switcher instead of a generic WebCam!

kkta80

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 1:56 pm

MobileJoel wrote:My current workaround for the ATEM Mini and GotoMeeting Involved OBS Studio. I run OBS Studio. Adjust the Video output from 1080 to 720, then Run OBS Virtual Cam. Then I used OBS Virtual Cam as my webcam for GotoMeeting. Lots of pieces, but hey we're using a switcher instead of a generic WebCam!

Do you use this plugin for OBS?
OBS-VirtualCam 2.0.4
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/ ... alcam.539/

Is everbody sure that it's just about the missing 720p output? Maybe I do not force our IT dep to change firewall settings like described here
https://support.logmeininc.com/de/gotom ... -g2m060010
https://community.logmein.com/t5/GoToTr ... true#M2980

PaulDash

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 2:30 pm

kkta80 wrote:Is everbody sure that it's just about the missing 720p output? Maybe I do not force our IT dep to change firewall settings like described here

Whitelisting ports is a bunch of baloney that their support is using to justify their inadequate software.

My log analysis (in the thread you referenced on community.logmein.com) showed the spot where things are failing. It's the moment that GTM tries to load the preview and says "High resolution capture set to false". There's no registry entry or configuration file that I could find to change the resolutions they support. And I did dig deep into debugging the system calls.

GTM is trying to "SetMaxResolution for Blackmagic Design to: 1280x720" and of course fails as the webcam driver for the ATEM Mini won't feed it that resolution.

Our only hope is that with time, more people will start asking GTM / LogMeIn for the same thing and they'll release an update.

kkta80

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 8:36 am

PaulDash wrote:
kkta80 wrote:Is everbody sure that it's just about the missing 720p output? Maybe I do not force our IT dep to change firewall settings like described here

Whitelisting ports is a bunch of baloney … an update.

@PaulDash Many thanks for the detailed feedback.

I think we need to take a closer look on Zoom soon.
Any experience with that guys?

nikwashere

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 4:07 pm

@BlackMagic , Any potential for a simple FirmWare update to allow the 720 output???
Please make this easy for your users

bgoosen

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 5:21 pm

kkta80 wrote:I think we need to take a closer look on Zoom soon.
Any experience with that guys?

We're using ATEM Mini Pro to broadcast Zoom Webinars. Assuming there's plenty of bandwidth, it shares at 720p if you connect normally as a webcam, and shares 1080p (tho framerate gets spotty at times) if you share as a screen share using the advanced "Content from 2nd Camera" setting.

I thought GotoMeeting supported 1080p though? I stumbled across this thread while looking for Zoom alternatives that supported 1080p and I'd have sworn several articles claimed 1080p support in GotoMeeting.

jduvick

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 2:11 am

nikwashere wrote:@BlackMagic , Any potential for a simple FirmWare update to allow the 720 output???
Please make this easy for your users

I echo this plea! The Web Presenter touts how 720p is "the ideal format for streaming", but the Mini Pro won't output at 720p over its network streaming port.

SchwobaDubbidu

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 9:09 pm

Oh boy, glad I did testing… will have sc important people in front of my lenses for streaming into GoToMeeting.

If the ATEM Mini (Pro) could at least flip its HDMI and USB-UVC outputs, so I could preview on some laptop and use some inexpensive Avermedia Something that I have to get 720p into GotoMeeting.

Well, seems like I'm in trouble, I need to find something from Roland to rent in my area.

SchwobaDubbidu

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 7:51 pm

Some futher testing revealed that with the current version of GotoMeeting on OS X, the issue seems to be anything that does not deliver 25fps. Currently I got my Atem Mini Pro running with GotoMeeting at 1080p 25fps, let's see for how long. Yesterday I had a complete crash of the program.

I tried the RGBLink Mini, the obvious competitor to the Atem Mini (without any pro) and it also does not work with GotoMeeting at 720p since it cannot do 25fps at 720p, only at 1080p. However, it can flip preview/program with USB-UVC and HDMI out, so one can use a compatible HDMI-Grabber such as the cheap ones from Avermedia, or Elgato. (It seems to work at 1080p 25fps, too. But same issue as with above, would it fail me during the show?)

Please, folks at Blackmagic, make the RGBLink what it should be: the device inferior to the Atem Mini. :D :D :D how? Add 720p output, and allow to send preview to USB-UVC and program to HDMI.

Well, actually one must also admit that it is GotoMeeting that is a PITA here, but we all need to feed the video conference tool our clients believe they must use.

Bad: It turns out GotoMeeting somehow can use a 1080p signal but it does not scale it down, it crops it in. And also on OS X at least I can't prevent the image from being mirrored.

PaulDash

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 9:03 pm

My two cents again: try the GoToMeeting web client! The GTM client you load in your browser is not as powerful but does support the ATEM Mini as a valid webcam.

As I was running two computers anyway for my online training, the meeting was set up on one with the regular installed GTM client doing a screen share of the slides and had all the meeting "host" features, while another computer had the GTM browser-based client logged in as a regular participant and feeding video and audio from my ATEM Mini.

Oh, and the company has since switched to Zoom, so this is now a non-issue for me :ugeek:

SchwobaDubbidu

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 10:01 pm

Well, using the GotoMeeting Windows client is a requirement from the customer.

I did some further experimenting and I think I will end up using a RGBLink Mini with the program set to HDMI Out and the Preview set to USB-UVC via a AverMedia Something that does all the scaling.

Which would also be the perfect and inexpensive workaround if the Atem Mini series could swap Program/Preview <-> HDMI / USB-UVC.

The RGBLink Mini altogether is a horrible device. The only thing it can do that the Atem Mini can't is exactly this: swap Program/Preview. (Oh yes, it can deliver 720p via USB-UVC, but only at certain frame rates, rendering it unusable again this way.) Really, if Blackmagic could get this feature into their Atem Mini, there would be absolutely no point for their competitor to exist in the market.

Oh, btw, tried also an Roland V60HD, what a neat machine, a colleague had it sitting around and gave it for me to test it out. Completely useless for the job, though. The fan is way too loud. (Would also be true with the Blackmagic Studio FullHD, or the bigger Atem models.)

Return to Live Production