Blackmagic Television Studio 4K and Wirecast

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

trunkyp

Blackmagic Television Studio 4K and Wirecast

PostSun Mar 15, 2020 9:39 pm

Hi all,
I am looking at getting a Blackmagic Television Studio 4K to run with Wirecast.
I would like the Television Studio 4K to do the camera switching etc and Wirecast to do the lower thirds/graphics/videos etc. Originally I was going to just use Wirecast for everything as I have a Blackmagic Design Decklink Duo 2 in my PC but now would like Blackmagic Television Studio 4K to run the cameras.

Am I right in the set up before going ahead with the purchase.

The plan is to use 2 x Canon C100 Mark 1 and 1 x Canon C100 Mark 2 and a BMP4K. All cameras have a HDMI out cable going out of them and into a Blackmagic Bidirectional Micro HDMI to SDI converter. Then it’s an SDI cable from the SDI Out on the HDMI to SDI converter and into the Television Studio 4K.

From the Television Studio 4K - program out SDI and into one of the inputs on the PC's Blackmagic Design Decklink Duo 2.

My plan when budget allows is to update the Canon C100s for Ursa Pros but that won't be happening in the short term.

Will I come into any problems with this set-up regarding resolutions etc.

Thanks in advance

scotmacman

Re: Blackmagic Television Studio 4K and Wirecast

PostTue Mar 17, 2020 9:50 pm

At first pass that all looks like a sensible set of components that will do the job you're needing to do.

David_Anderson

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 3:29 am

Just depends on what your budget is and other factors. Wirecast requires a fair amount of computing power especially if you want to use the replay function or record while streaming. Add in New Blue Titler (if you choose to use that option) and it's even more power.

I used to think I'd never use more than 8 inputs but now I have 20 and I'm bumped right up on having to move to a Constellation.

Wirecast is a great product and it's meant to be an all in one production solution but software based systems tend to rely heavily on hardware to run them.

For the same money you could buy an ATEM 1 M/E with 10 inputs and a control surface. The downside is the lack of scalers on each input and the fairlight mixer. It just depends on what your needs and budget is.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

trunkyp

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 12:27 pm

Thanks for the info, I bought a television studio 4k and its works really well with my PC and wirecast.

My PC specs are:
Motherboard - Aorus X570 AORUS MASTER
Processor - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor
64gb Memory - Corsair 163301 Vengeance LPX (4 x 16gb) DDR4 3200 MHz
500gb Program Hard Drive - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
1tb Scratch Hard Drive - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
2tb Storage Hard Drive - Corsair MP600 Force Series, Gen 4 PCIe x4, NVMe M.2 SSD
GPU - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER

Also included in the PC is a Blackmagic Design Decklink Duo 2.

I use the TV studio 4K for all the camera work (it's great as it has the built in converters so I am having no issues with the Canon C100 HDMI outputs and the BMD Pocket 4K. I can see the advantage of using cameras with SDI outputs so no need for converters but no problems at the moment.

Wirecast runs all the graphics/media and streaming etc.

JMW4570

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 3:10 pm

Interesting post. I have two C100MkII's I have been trying to hook up to a Blackmagic ATEM Production Studio 4K Live Switcher. My older camera works perfectly, whether I plug into HDMI or use a SDI cable and HDMI-SDI converter to the SDI on the BM - plug and play - no issues at all. I have a second C100MKII that I cannot get to sync up at all. I have set both C100 cameras up identically (best as I know), but trying multiple ports, wires (both HDMI and SDI) I am a no go. I do get an audio signal into the BM with the HDMI cable. I don't have any trouble getting both C100's to a HDMI on TV's or through my Roland V-1HD. There has got to be something I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?? Thanks. Jim

I also tried my Canon 6D with the BM and have the same issue - no picture.

trunkyp

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 6:25 pm

I also have a 6D so over the weekend I will try it with a hdmi to sdi converter and into the 4K tv studio and let you know how I get on.
I have found out that from my own experience that sometimes you can have a bad converter. Last time I bought 4 and one out of the 4 didn’t work.
I’m not sure what to suggest about the C100s, mine were just plug and play. Luckily the tv studio 4K isn’t Fussy about resolutions etc as it does all that convention inside the unit.

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 6:28 pm

Also, Check the C100s on a TV monitor to see if they are actually outputting the same resolution and frame rate.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production