ATEM TVS Capture Control not finding a device

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

rickschweitzer

ATEM TVS Capture Control not finding a device

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi,

Just got my hands on this ATEM TVS setup at my local church which has been in place for at least 7 or more. It works excellent for local video/audio. HDMI/SDI inputs and HDMI outputs and AES Audio in all are fine.

In the past we had used the built in Software Capture Control function to record video/audio directly to the MAC Mini via the ATEM USB connection. I have numerous MP4s that show that working. However, that has ceased to work. I cannot get the interface to allow me to connect to a Blackmagic capture device. It is grayed out. I don't know what has changed since I am new to this.

I have tested the USB connections on the MAC Mini, they all work. I have both USB 2.0 and 3.0. Using 2.0 for the ATEM. I have tried another USB cable. That does nothing. Rebooted the MAC. I don't believe anyone has update the ATEM software as it is at 3.3 (see below). Even that MAC version is from 2017.

Before I start updating to later versions of software/firmware, is their a setting I am overlooking?

ATEM Software Version is 3.3
ATEM Firmware is unknown (assume this changes with the version of software installed?)
MAC MINI Serra 10.12.6

Any help, direction or comments are welcome.

Thank you in advance,

Rick S

Kearon de Clouet

Re: ATEM TVS Capture Control not finding a device

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 2:57 am

Watching for the answer on this... Im having the same issue...)

rickschweitzer

Re: ATEM TVS USB Port is Dead

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 10:56 pm

Changed the title (ATEM TVS Capture Control not finding a device)

So I spent more quality time with this ATEM. The USB port is in fact bad. That is why the capture control is dead. However, I was able get the USB port to actually operate long enough for me to upgrade and downgrade the hardware. I got up to 7.5.2, but backed off to 6.0 because that seem to be the last version with the capture software which is what I wanted to use.

Before the USB port started to work, I did disassemble the ATEM and checked the USB port connections, +5vdc, ground and data. I sprayed contact cleaner on the USB port itself. Before reassembling it, applied heat sink compound as the original had become somewhat dry. That is when I noticed the USB port started to work again. The issue is I don't know what made the USB port function and then eventually die, again. It is not heat related. I left the unit off overnight.

If I can resurrect the USB port again, I will update to 7.5.1 and keep it there. If not, then I am at 6.0. As long as the SW is good and I do not need to change the IP address, I will keep running it.

Last, how to record? After many hours of research, I purchased the Ultra Studio Recorder and Thunderbolt cable for the MAC. It can use a HDMI or SDI. Unfortunately, it is backordered and I wont see it for 3 to 4 weeks, but so be it.

Rick S.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 12:36 am

im using V 6.4 and works great ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

rickschweitzer

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 11:45 pm

Kearon de Clouet wrote:Watching for the answer on this... Im having the same issue...)

Power supply. The 12vdc supply measured less then 12v after the unit was on for several hours. It should be 12.3 to 12.5. I replaced the supply with a larger one, 12vdc, 3amp. Problem solved.

Rick S

Kearon de Clouet

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 8:31 am

rickschweitzer wrote:
Kearon de Clouet wrote:Watching for the answer on this... Im having the same issue...)

Power supply. The 12vdc supply measured less then 12v after the unit was on for several hours. It should be 12.3 to 12.5. I replaced the supply with a larger one, 12vdc, 3amp. Problem solved.

Rick S

Hi Rick,

Wow - really? I've been using the switcher just fine for live shows (well, except that the HDMI inputs seem to be expecting interlaced not progressive). I'm using the 2.5 amp power supply that came with it, but then... it's not a branded Blackmagic one so... hey, worth a try! How did you come across this fix?

KdC

rickschweitzer

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 1:43 pm

Had the ATEM apart, measured the voltage and watched it drop.

The USB port is still unreliable and the later versions of SW/FW dont have that feature. I installed 7.5.2. Thus, moving to streaming as a mentioned earlier with UltraStudio mini-recorder to the MAC. I already have a stereo Aux mix out of our board connected to the ATEM AES input.

Rick.

Return to Live Production