Streaming with a Decklink studio and Pocket cinema cam gen1

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ppblais

Streaming with a Decklink studio and Pocket cinema cam gen1

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:49 am

I am wondering if there is a way for me to use my 1st gen pocket cam, connected to my decklink studio on my macpro as a streaming cam?

here is the issue I've encountered so far, as I understand it.

My streaming platform and my browser are recognizing my decklink as a source for a webcam feed, but I am getting black video.

I am pretty sure this is because the signal coming in from the cam is not 720/60. Unfortunately the pocket cam only films in 1080p 23/24/25/29/30.

Is there a way to downscale the signal to 720 once it is captured by the decklink?

I am using Streamyard as my streaming solution right now, because the stream I am doing requires me to have guest host that are in different parts of the world join the program easily and quickly without them needing advance tech skills, something streamyard does very well. however its settings might be a little limited I guess...

thanks for any help,

David_Anderson

Re: Streaming with a Decklink studio and Pocket cinema cam g

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:14 am

Need more information on the hardware. What model Decklink is it? Can you plug the Cinema into an HDMI TV or monitor and does the signal display? Does it tell you what the output resolution of the HDMI port is on the camera?

The software should be able to downscale the input. A black screen on input means that the decklink and the camera output don't match.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

ppblais

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 3:44 am

David_Anderson wrote:Need more information on the hardware. What model Decklink is it? Can you plug the Cinema into an HDMI TV or monitor and does the signal display? Does it tell you what the output resolution of the HDMI port is on the camera?

The software should be able to downscale the input. A black screen on input means that the decklink and the camera output don't match.

Best,

David

Thanks for the reply,

I am using a decklink studio 2. I can see the camera signal inside Media Express "Log and Capture" window, if I match the project to the camera setting, and yes I get a signal when I connect the camera directly to a TV if I set the Pocket cam to either 23.98 or 24 fps, but not if it is at 29.97 or 30.

David_Anderson

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 3:56 am

So if you plug the camera into the Decklink and use Media Express you can set the input to any setting and match the camera to it and it works? Specifically, will it work at 29.97?

If yes, I'd suggest downloading a free trial of Wirecast (I understand you need different software) but I'm familiar with Wirecast and if you add in input to Wirecast you can select your decklink the the framerate and see if Wirecast will give you a signal. Right now I'm trying to determine if you have a hardware or software issue.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

ppblais

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 9:14 pm

Thanks for helping me David,

I installed Wirecast trial, and yes I can get my camera feed, so long as I match my camera settings with wirecast settings, no matter which of my settings I chose, so long as I matched, which makes sense. I tried all the ones I had on my pocket cam and they all work.

I did a bit more digging, I have a feeling it has something to do with how the application retrieves the image... I mean I assume that a Firefox/skype/Zoom/etc. do not tap in directly to the decklink, whereas wirecast and media express probably do.

I also have OBS on my machine, and I have the same problem with it, where it sees a generic "blackmagic" device in my input selection but has no way to let me change the input setting and gives me the same black screen as well.

Chrome behaves a bit differently in that instead of a generic "blackmagic" in the input menu, I get an actual "decklink Studio 2" followed by input settings option, but when I select the right input and activate the camera I get a message that says "your browser can't access your devices. close any software that might be using your camera..."

So... it feels like it has something to do with how the respective apps communicate with the decklink, what protocol they are using or something like (might not be the right words).

thanks for pointing me towards wirecast, it looks like a great software and it has the remote guest feature I need, it's just a shame it's so expensive, considering I am only getting started with streaming. but given my current issue I'm going to give it some thought...

David_Anderson

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 9:55 pm

Glad I got you pointed in the right direction. I really like Wirecast as a platform and depending on your needs and hardware it can do a lot. It's worth the investment if you're going to be streaming on a regular basis. I've used OBS as well but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

ppblais

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Just thought I'd post a little update, as I am still trying to resolve this issue... in case someone comes across the same issue down the line.

I tried using my intensity extreme card with my macbook air, and everything works fine, my camera is recognized as a webcam, and I get my feed as expected in Chrome, and inside Streamyard.

The difference between the two machine is the OS (mac pro is running High Sierra, Macbook Air is running Mojave), drivers (mac pro is currently on BVD 10.9.10, whereas Macbook Air is running latest 11.5) and obviously BM hardware with the mac using pci Decklink Duo and the macbook air using a thunderbolt intensity extreme.

I suspect the issue is with the drivers, possibly the decklink firmware as well. problem is I can't just update to 11.5 in one go, when I do that, BVD tells me there is no device connected. see this previous thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=109738&p=605631#p605631

I had to roll back to 10.4, and now I have been slowly upgrading one version at a time (other wise I get the no device error again, I tried), I think there is probably a firmware update bundled in one of those update that I am still missing for 11.5 to recognize my device. Eventually I will get to 11.5 and maybe that will solve my issue... maybe ;)

Return to Live Production