Thoughts about the Marshall CV620 and Atem Studio Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

donebrasko

Thoughts about the Marshall CV620 and Atem Studio Pro

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 3:45 am

I am thinking about purchasing the Blackmagic Design Atem Television Studio Pro HD for my church. I am looking for a couple PTZ cameras to use with it. The easier to use the better, but I usually figure things out if I need to.

What do you guys think about the Marshall CV620? They seem pretty decent to me, but before I make a decision, I wanted to see what you guys think about it.

I am definitely in need of cameras that perform well in low light also. Its not too dark but its too dark for my taste.

Thanks in advance

David_Anderson

Re: Thoughts about the Marshall CV620 and Atem Studio Pro

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 1:40 pm

Marshall cameras in general are really top notch considering the size and cost. I've put them side by side with Blackmagic Studio and some higher end Sony Prosumer cameras (PXW-Z190) and in low light they really perform well. The only thing I found is that in very low light Marshall tends to crush the blacks in order to reduce noise. The 2nd thing is that IMHO Marshall struggles a little with pink and purple and it looks a little flatter. If you are trying to integrate Marshalls with other cameras you'll have to put a little extra time into shading but honestly I have a good friend that works for ESPN and FOX Sports and they use Marshall ALL THE TIME and he never has a problem making them look good.

I'm a BIG supporter of Marshall! You just need to figure out how you're going to control the cameras. If you buy the Marshall surface you'll have zero issues and zero complaints.

Hope this helps.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

donebrasko

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 3:19 pm

David_Anderson wrote:Marshall cameras in general are really top notch considering the size and cost. I've put them side by side with Blackmagic Studio and some higher end Sony Prosumer cameras (PXW-Z190) and in low light they really perform well. The only thing I found is that in very low light Marshall tends to crush the blacks in order to reduce noise. The 2nd thing is that IMHO Marshall struggles a little with pink and purple and it looks a little flatter. If you are trying to integrate Marshalls with other cameras you'll have to put a little extra time into shading but honestly I have a good friend that works for ESPN and FOX Sports and they use Marshall ALL THE TIME and he never has a problem making them look good.

I'm a BIG supporter of Marshall! You just need to figure out how you're going to control the cameras. If you buy the Marshall surface you'll have zero issues and zero complaints.

Hope this helps.

Best,

David

Thanks!!! This helps a lot. Whatever cameras we choose they will all be the same kind. What is the Marshall Surface?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 11:17 pm

this is the control surface for operating the Marshall PTZ cameras

http://www.marshall-usa.com/hardware-ac ... TC-200.php
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

donebrasko

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 am

Would other controllers and joysticks work?

David_Anderson

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 5:04 pm

At this point you're locked into Marshall. I believe Skaarhoj has a PTZ controller and support for Marshall is in the queue.

donebrasko wrote:Would other controllers and joysticks work?

David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

donebrasko

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 5:57 pm

Thanks!

What do you guys think about going 4k?
We haven't purchased anything yet. Should I look at the Atem 4k and 4k Marshall Cameras?
There's a $700 difference in the switched but it looks like it only has bnc inputs

David_Anderson

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 9:48 pm

Are you doing any post production or live streams? If you're recording each camera and then doing a post production for HQ use, then 4k might be of value to you.

The 4k switcher offers scalers and Fairlight mixer so that might be worth it. The 4k Marshall cameras will set you back an extra 1k each.

For streaming applications I don't see going 4k anytime in the next 18 months.

Best,

David

donebrasko wrote:Thanks!

What do you guys think about going 4k?
We haven't purchased anything yet. Should I look at the Atem 4k and 4k Marshall Cameras?
There's a $700 difference in the switched but it looks like it only has bnc inputs

David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

donebrasko

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 11:17 pm

I'm going to go with the 620 cameras. there's no reason to get the 4k switcher right?

David_Anderson

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 12:21 am

It just depends on whether you need a surface or not. Also the 4k switcher has built in scalers on each input as well as a fairlight audio console. So it's really up to your budget.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

Return to Live Production