Pocket - Studio camera mode and HDMI to SDI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MarcusWolschon

Pocket - Studio camera mode and HDMI to SDI

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 7:50 pm

How is the data transfer from the ATEM Mini/ATEM Mini Pro to the Pocket Cinema Camea 4K/6K done?
Does it survive conversion from HDMI to SDI and back for longer distances?
Does it survive HDMI to SDI for usage with a larger, SDI ATEM switch?
If not, can it be split from the HDMI cable to be routed separately?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Pocket - Studio camera mode and HDMI to SDI

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 8:39 pm

The capabilities to control the camera require a direct HDMI connection between both devices.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 8:49 pm

Damn.
Would have been a nice feature to match the cameras but our stage isn't small enough to use thick, sensitive HDMI cables.
Looks like I have to write my own code to control black point, aperture, ... via Bluetooth (before audience seating because Bluetooth no longer works with 2000 cellphones in the room).

Bartek Podkowa

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 9:01 pm

Ah, that's a shame. I'm currently planning a potential project that would use 1 Ursa Mini, 2 Pocket 4K's and 1 GoPro. Was originally going to use an ATEM HD with some HDMI-SDI converters, but the ATEM Mini Pro announcement got me quite excited. I guess the video feed (without control) would still work with HDMI extenders though, right?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 9:07 pm

There should be no problem with the signal when doing conversion from the camera and back of HDMI but keep in mind that control functions will not be available for the camera from the ATEM software.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 9:10 pm

Does it use the "HDMI 1.4, HDMI Ethernet and Audio Return Channel (HEAC)" via the HEAC+ and HEAC- pins for these control functions?

Bartek Podkowa

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 9:41 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:There should be no problem with the signal when doing conversion from the camera and back of HDMI but keep in mind that control functions will not be available for the camera from the ATEM software.

Ok, that should still make it a potentially better option for me than the ATEM HD then! Thanks.

gkurzlop

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 6:33 am

So, what are you saying is that even that the Ursa G2 costs 4x the price of a pocket I wouldn't be able to use the SDI with the ATEM mini pro and control my camera from there at all? Not cool! I understand that it works with more expensive ATEM solutions, but seems unfair that Blackmagic keeps coming with updates that put the small cameras ahead of URSA.

MarcusWolschon

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:23 pm

A way to use these features of the Pocket on the larger SDI Atem switchers would be a migration path for pocket users to expand their ATEM Mini based studio into the higher end class of products and allow the Pocket to be a small B-camera with a screen and control elements in a studio that otherwise uses the Blackmagic Studio Camera.

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 9:41 pm

The Micro Studio would be a better match in this situation, giving standard SDI interface and camera control. The ATEM Mini Pro is a good choice when using Pocket 4/6K Cameras only for short cable runs (under 20-feet). Also you could use the ATEM Mini on a couple of HDMI cameras like the Pocket 4K, setup the Mini close to the cameras, and use the Ethernet cable to remotely control the Mini and send it’s signal to a larger ATEM switcher via a hdmi/SDI converter. Gram demonstrated the remote control of the Mini in his video.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MarcusWolschon

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 9:52 pm

The Micro Studio has no screen, no buttons, can't do a higher quality offline recording,... it basically can't be used by a human camera operator and it can not be taken out of the studio to do other tasks as well. We did use the Micro Cinema cameras last time to do closeups from the front rows. It's a rediculusly setup. If it hadn't been a stage with fixed distances, I have no clue how you would keep that focused with the latency of an external monitor.

And of cause your suggestion would mean to have the existing Pocket 4K and not be able to use it in the studio anymore after an upgrade.
Throwing out all existing camera and the switcher is not an upgrade path.
Taking away the ability to also record outside and to also travel from the small studio to where
something or someone happens it not an upgrade.
If you have to buy EVERYTHING a second time to grow, there's no point in
buying the new gear from Blackmagic.

Single youtuber with a BMPCC4K -> small studio with ATEM Mini to have guests -> **go to some other company** -> longer cables or more then 4 cameras in the studio that can also be used in the field.

Denny Smith

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 9:27 pm

Marcus, they can be used together. The Micro Cinema Camera is not a good choice for a live action camera, as it does not have any CCU control. The Micro Studio does with an ATEM HD, for example. To expand a startup Mini ATEM setup, adding a regular SDI ATEM is good, used models are not that expensive. A Micro Studio can be used with a recording monitor to record UHD signal and pass it to the ATEM, if you are doing a 4K/UHD production.

You can take to SDI from the Micro Studio and send convert it to HDMI for the ATEM Mini for less than $50, or add a larger ATEM, and control the Mini from it. Feed the Micro Studio directly to the SDI ATEM with CCU for focus, etc. and feed the Mini to the big ATEM to add in the Pocket Cameras. Yes additional hardware is needed, but all doable for far less $ that it was five years ago.

My first Studio has $500K worth of equipment in it, and this did less than a ATEM HD, with a ATEM Mini and the Micro Studio Camera s and Pocket 4Ks. Overall production quality is even better, as my $500K Studio was only SD.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Thibaud

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 4:21 pm

We've actually built a solution to make the BMPCC 4K CCU work with any ATEM through SDI. We were already using it on our gigs to before every event got postponed, but now with BM's last update it's terrific we've been able to add CCU control.

You can check it out here : https://www.middlethings.co/

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 4:34 pm

Thibaud wrote: You can check it out here : https://www.middlethings.co/

Using the Bluetooth protocoll.
Does that work with a full audience having serveral thousand Bluetooth and Wifi enabled phones and all the powered audio and light equipment all around it?

Does the ATEM Ethernet protocol contain all the required data? That would get rid of the entire hardware box and the phone could do that.

Thibaud

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Hey Marcus, we've tested it in medium sized gigs (300-400 people max) with no issues. However the closer the controller to the Pocket, the better it is. The idea is to keep it at worse a feet away from the camera and then run a long distance SDI cable to the switcher.

We didn't manage to make it work through ethernet.

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 4:43 pm

Thanks.
I developed the first of the Android apps but couldn't test it on our biggest, yearly event yet.

Thibaud

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Android programming is a very solid skill to have ! Well done.

Generally speaking, in crowded venues I notice that Bluetooth Low Energy tends to be much more reliable than Wifi which I never rely on. But you have to minimize the distance between your BMPCC 4K and Bluetooth device (a few feets max). The lower the better.

vivoices

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 5:21 pm

I am as well looking for a way to overcome the HDMI cable-length bottleneck.

The solution seem to be active optical HDMI cables that fully support bi-directional communication.
Blackmagic Support was giving a little hope:
. . . I have heard that some ProAV Active cable . . . are working, but this is not officially supported yet.

Today I ordered a couple of 20 meter HDMI 2.1 Active Hybrid Cables with a total bandwidth of 48Gbps and full support of bi-directional EDID and HDCP communication.
Blackmagic Support could not confirm that these two protocols are enough to communicate with the camera CCU etc.
These cables come with a high price tag but can run up to 100 meters.

It will take some time for them to arrive from the manufacturer in China, but as soon as I find out if they allow full control of the BMPCC4K/6K from an ATEM Mini, I will post here in the forum.
Udo Jansen

Win 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.6.4, R9 5950X, 128 GB RAM, Quadro P4000 (8GB VRAM) 551.61 NSD, Intensity Pro 4K | Pocket6Ks FW7.9.1 | Speed Editor

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 6:38 am

I still don't understand why I as a customer should not expect the combination of

Blackmagic ATEM Mini (pro)
Blackmagic Mini Converter SDI to HDMI
Blackmagic Mini Converter HDMI to SDI
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

to work?

Or

Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera

Or
Blackmagic ATEM

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 7:06 pm

Maybe new converters in the next release may be able to keep the CCU info in tact during conversion, or a special converter created that can go from HDMI to SDI and then back to HDMI and work as if this was a direct HDMI-HDMI connection on the Mini and Mini Pro for CCU control of the cameras. But the current Mini or Micro converters do not. Mixing the HDMI system with the SDI control on the Studio Cameras is an apple/oranges issue, from what I understand, they are entirely two different control setups on the camera end, and an ATEM would need both SDI and HDMI connections.

So perhaps the next generation of the ATEM HD/4K will be able to provide mixed CCU control of both SDI protocol Studio cameras via the SDI return, and the Pocket cameras via their HDMI connection. This would be sweet. Meanwhile adding the Mini to a setup with the ATEM HD might work to do this through network software control? The ATEM Minis are not going to be able to have CCU control of the Studio Cameras, as they lack the required SDI connections.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 7:10 pm

Well, all the converters have a means to get firmware updates.

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 8:11 pm

Yes but the hardware has to be able to support the software changes needed. Not all FGPAs are created equal. We do not know what additional hardware is required to support the new CCU commands, and the HDMI interface?

As for the Micro Studio, I attached a Video Assist (and lately a PixE 5 for UHD) to my Micro Studio for stand alone operations and to be able to record its SDI signal directly. Any HDMI monitor can be connect d to the Micro Studio to get menu access and have a camera operator run the camera. I use a inexpensive SmallHD Focus, works quite well for studio work. I also added one of Phil’s One Little Remote’s to make setting up the camera quicker, and it adds Bluetooth support for Phil’s iPhone app.

If you go looking, there are all sorts of solutions out there... :roll:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 8:20 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:Well, all the converters have a means to get firmware updates.

Hardware technical IMPOSSIBLE!

Just accept it will never travel trough SDI. Because it is based on the back haul data in HDMI. HDMI has several wires for this available. While SMPTE SDI is based on 1 way only. So converters that will have this will NEVER be SMPTE compatible!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 9:39 pm

So the current hardware can't do it and we need converters with different SDI transciever chips/fpga code to create the missing link. Converting between different protocols that do the same thing is just some glue logic, if you already have libraries to talk both.
I guess there's no developer documentation for both procotols, is there?
So that's nothing a 3rd party like us can create.

PS:
These active cables sound nice but sadly that's not a kind of cable you can rent for an event. Coax or Cat6 are. The newer RTSP HDMI-over-Ethernet with latency or older analog HDMI-over-cat6 extenders without added latency don't support the embedded Ethernet channel of the HDMI cable. I couldn't find anything to extract that channel and run it over a separate shielded, twisted pair yet.

Howard Roll

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 2:59 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:I still don't understand why I as a customer should not expect the combination of

to work?

Or

Or
Blackmagic ATEM

None of this works because at some point you're expecting input from an output or vice versa.

SDI/coax is simplex, one way Jose', if you want duplex communication use a cable that supports it like Cat5/6 or Triax.

Good Luck

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 3:14 pm

Howard Roll wrote:

SDI/coax is simplex, one way Jose', if you want duplex communication use a cable that supports it like Cat5/6 or Triax.

Good Luck

So how do do camera control, talkback and telly work with the big ATEM?
2 SDI cables? I was under the impression they do that in one cable.
(I was guessing time division multiplex since the ATEM needs to synchronize to the clock signal of the camera anyway to interpret the signal. )
Fine. Then you'd need converters with 1 HDMI and an SDI in+SDI out of something that can extract and insert the camera control part from hdmi and either transmit or over a common cable standard b like Cat6 or convert it to whatever the SDI ATEMs are using.

Denny Smith

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 6:11 pm

The ATEM SDI CCU requires two SDI cables from camera to the ATEM, one for the camera video signal (from camera to ATEM) and a return SDI cable from the ATEM to the camera that has the return video signal, along with the CCU and Talley signals to the camera. For a single cable, you need the SIMPTE type fiber cable with the required camera converters which connects to the camera and ATEM with two SDI connections, going into a single multiplex fiber cable between switcher and camera.

SDI is one way signal flow, while HDMI is bi-directional or duplex, but the two protocol systems used are not compatible with each other. Converting HDMI to SDI strips out the CCU command info in the HDMI feed, leaving only the Video signal. Not sure what it would take to get a box that could translate the HDMI CCU controls to send via SDI, but you would still need two SDI cables or a multiplex fiber cable between these “black boxes” to send and receive the required signals.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Thanks.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 am

That is the way BMD does the Cam control by 2 SDI lines. And that it why Converting the Control data from the HDMI to some SDI control signal and back to HDMI does not make sense.. You rather look for a HDMI Fiber setup that works.

Or forget about the whole HDMI control as it is limited to the Mini's only!! And get a TVS HD and Micro studio cameras which are even cheaper then the Pocket 4K. And also do 4K SDI OUTPUT instead of HD only.. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

jonathanrabanus

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am

Thats a pity.
We use a large ATEM Setup with up to 10 cameras, most micro studio cameras and a Studio HD with B4 lens, but would be nice to use BMPCC4Ks.
We convert all cams to fiber, but I guess the BMPCC4K control system will only work with direct HDMI.

Here you can see our nearly daily streams while corona lockdown:
YouTube Channel is Rabanus Media

MarcusWolschon

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 11:35 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Or forget about the whole HDMI control as it is limited to the Mini's only!! And get a TVS HD and Micro studio cameras which are even cheaper then the Pocket 4K. And also do 4K SDI OUTPUT instead of HD only.. ;)

Please don't make assumptions about out recording situation.
Budget is close to 0. All crew are unpaid volunteers. However we do have time for software and hardware development as long as it's interesting.
I already, privately own the Pocket 4K and a GH5 and some Atomos recorders. Others will chip in with multiple GH5, GH4R and a Micro Cinema Camera.
I'll privately rent a Pocket 6K.
We do a stage setup with rented cables installed by the stage rental company.
(HDMI Fiber is not a rentable option and our multiview as well as the matrix switch are SDI anyway)
We have human camera operators (talkback via the 3rd generation of our self developed interkoms).
Nobody offers Micro Studio for rental. They would also make no sense to own privately as they can't be used outside the yearly event.

Apart from doing our own offline 6K/4K BM-Raw and UHD ProRes422HQ recording we also provide our 1080p25 signals to the a live video crew that uses an SDI ATEM.
It would have been great to integrate better and match black levels+exposure+WB for the signals we provide to them.
At least for the Blackmagic cameras. (Since our recordings are camera-internal, they are nearly uneffected.)

If the ATEMs would provide the camera control commands in their Ethernet protocoll,
I could develop something that translates that to BLE commands for the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and 6K. But as far as I could find out, they do not and the protocol implementation is very fragile. Often crashing the ATEM due to missing input checks instead of ignoring a command when people develop their own surfaces.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 11:58 am

MarcusWolschon wrote:If the ATEMs would provide the camera control commands in their Ethernet protocoll,
I could develop something that translates that to BLE commands for the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and 6K. But as far as I could find out, they do not and the protocol implementation is very fragile. Often crashing the ATEM due to missing input checks instead of ignoring a command when people develop their own surfaces.

Ooh it does.. But the protocol is closed and BMD does not want to other companies to tool with there protocol. But some companies have a stable working solution: Skaarhoj, And there is somebody in the forum now that has a SDI CCU > Pocket cameras.. Which already works on Bluetooth.. And would work with almost any atem exept the mini's Because you need a CCU enabled SDI output on the switcher.. Which the Atem mini does not have.

Constructing a "Tool or converter" as you suggested will not be easy, will not be supported by BMD nor will you get the protocol how they do it.. So the changes on getting that project of the ground is slim to non..

Also you mention you use a lot of GH4 and GH5 and only 1 BMD pocket.. So all of this is only for 1 Pocket?? ;)

Use an Active HDMI solution. Procab CLV220 has been tested to work up to 100m ;) Might be worth to buy it yourself instead of renting it..

MarcusWolschon

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 12:06 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Also you mention you use a lot of GH4 and GH5 and only 1 BMD pocket.. So all of this is only for 1 Pocket?? ;)

No, 2. You forgot the rented 6K.
Sadly the Micro Cinema doesn't have bluetooth.
If I implement something using Ethernet, then it would also try to do the best job it can with the GH4, GH4R and GH5 since their Wifi protocoll is well known.

I'll try to find out what I can about the Ethernet protocoll. Maybe get myself a used ATEM Mini for development. (On the Ethernet side, they should behave identical.) We'll see.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 12:09 pm

You have to do the FULL Atem ethernet protocol implementation.. Else the Atem will disconnect your session. :lol:

So the ethernet option is not really what you want either.. But if i can make a suggestion to you.. Take a look into the Atem SDK. Write a piece of software for the computer, That will get the values from the CCU control. Then translate that into data your microprocessor can handle and control the cams.. ;)

MarcusWolschon

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:You have to do the FULL Atem ethernet protocol implementation.. Else the Atem will disconnect your session.

What's the problem there?
I'm a professional software developer with colour grading and directing camera operators on stage only as an expensive hobby.
Since I already implemented the Bluetooth protocoll, one half of the work is alredy done.

Looks like there's already an implementation for Arduinos.
Aparently including the camera control part and even some nice code for the 3G SDI shield.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 1:28 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:Looks like there's already an implementation for Arduinos.
Aparently including the camera control part and even some nice code for the 3G SDI shield.

Do your best ;) Skaarhoj dropped the support for the Arduino Ethernet library since 7.5 As BMD changed a lot in the Ethernet protocol since then. Atems will crash when using this code. ;)

But heey if you are a professional software developer, I'm awaiting your solution then.. I'm a programmer too and i didn't bother anymore to keep up with the changed BMD makes to their protocol.. Nightmare to support them everytime there are changes.. So i decided to go the SDI route instead for all Camera control features.. ;) But it only is not compatible with the Atem minis.. But dont care, as we only do Broadcast Cameras support on our units.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=89518&p=611664

MarcusWolschon

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 1:55 pm

Good point.
I didn't know they changed it serveral times.
I'm still reading up on it.

USAMedia

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 10:12 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:I still don't understand why I as a customer should not expect the combination of

to work?

Or

Or
Blackmagic ATEM

I agree with you!
All their products should play nice. If they were able to create an HDMI signal that goes both ways... I am sure they can do the same with SDI.
I wish BMD would at least give the Micro Cinema Cams some control with the Atem Mini... they are both HDMI. I bought two of them and now I had to sell them for half the price so I can buy pocket cameras because I need the control. God knows what I am going to do about the long distance cables... :/
Alex Ramirez
Media Producer/Musician

jvhellemond

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 1:48 pm

Long (loooong) shot here: how about those bidirectional HDMI ↔︎ SDI micro converters? They have 1 HDMI connector and a 2 SDI connectors. Maybe (not holding breath) they could get an update to make them pass the CCU and tally signals from HDMI to the second SDI connector. We could then hook a BMPCC up to an Atem mini over long SDI cables using 2 bidirectional converters at either end.

Again: long shot.

Weston Woodbury

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 6:07 am

I remembered reading this thread, looks like BMD answered your prayers with their new gen of BiDirectional converters! :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/microconverters

Use/control Ursa cams with the Atem Mini, or vice versa, Pocket Cams with a bigger brother SDI Switcher. Perdy neato.

What's the headsets doing in those marketing pictures though? ;)
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (116.99 KiB) Viewed 8111 times

West19

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 4:58 pm

For your information:

We use a Pocket 6K with a Glas-Fiber-Cable 100m.
Than we split the signal with a Kramer VM 2H xl ( the old one) and put the first HDMI in
the Atem Mini Pro for Controlling all Parameters
and the second HDMI in a BMD HDMItoSDI. From here in the TV-Studio 4K

That works fine. I can controll the Cam with a Atem-mini, but the Signal is in 4K.

Important is the Connection-sequence : first put the Atem-Mini in the splitter, second the 4K.

wbr
peter

paulgolden

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 pm

I was wondering the same thing: does the Bi-Directional 3G converter allow me to control my Ursa Mini Pro with my Atem Mini Pro ISO switcher?

Specifically:

1) Can I control ISO, FPS, Color Correction, and Focus?
2) Will it jam sync T/C to the camera?
3) Start/stop control?
4) Talley lights?
5) Allow me to create an ISO project with both my Ursa Mini Pro and Pocket 4K in Resolve?

Could someone from BMD or anyone who owns one of these confirm if this feature set is true?

Michael_Andreas

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 10:08 pm

It's a new product, I don't think they've started shipping yet. For now, an updated Blackmagic Converters Manual available on the support page may answer your questions.

paulgolden

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 12:12 am

Yes, the manual looks pretty clear that it should do what I want (good news) but the web page refers to the Ursa Broadcast camera, not the Ursa Mini Pro, so was curious if that means I'd still be left out with my Ursa Mini Pro?

However on page 21 of the manual it appears to talk to the UMP:

Blackmagic URSA with ATEM Mini
Here the converter is used to connect the camera’s SDI output to an ATEM Mini’s HDMI input. The SDI signal from the camera is converted to HDMI and sent to the ATEM Mini. CEC data is returned to the Micro Converter and converted to CCU and tally data, then sent back to the camera over SDI

ATEM to UMP.png
ATEM to UMP.png (210.97 KiB) Viewed 7926 times

Flick H

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 5:26 pm

Hey just chiming in here a bit later - can you not do what you want using HDMI - Cat6 - HDMI?

That would speak to the ATEM mini and camera control should pass through that protocol.

And you can do cable runs as long as you want, the cables are cheap... only problem is the reliability of the conversion box (I have been nervous about these in the past).

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 5:32 pm

Flick H wrote:Hey just chiming in here a bit later - can you not do what you want using HDMI - Cat6 - HDMI?

That would speak to the ATEM mini and camera control should pass through that protocol.

And you can do cable runs as long as you want, the cables are cheap... only problem is the reliability of the conversion box (I have been nervous about these in the past).

These Cat5 and Cat6 HDMI extenders are either
a) single direction analog amplifiers (very old, limited to FullHD, cheap, no latency, not compatible with Ethernet)
b) single direction MJPEG-Encoders sending Ethernet broadcast frames (allow point to multipoing, recording by packet-dump, high latency)
c) b replaced by single direction MPEG Encoders sending MTP streams (allow point to multipoing, recording and playback in VLC, high latency)

None of these transmit any data in the opposite direction or support anything beyond a limited video image.

matt2525

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 12:16 am

Anybody know whether the ATEM Production studio 4K will pass camera control signals over SDI using the new bidirectional converters to BMPCC 4Ks HDMI port? Or even from its 4 HDMI inputs?

And whether the existing blackmagic Studio converter / Camera converters are capable of passing on CC data on the Camera converter's HDMI camera inputs?

It would be good to have a clear picture from Blackmagic on what works/is projected to work vs what doesn't with the new HDMI ATEM camera control abilities

Steve Kanefsky

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 1:36 pm

Some of the active fiber type HDMI cables are reported to work with camera control even at very long distances.

See https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=111606

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 1:52 pm

Steve Kanefsky wrote:Some of the active fiber type HDMI cables are reported to work with camera control even at very long distances.

See https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=111606

Interesting.
Sadly: 50m reel=676,00 € incluign 16% VAT (reduced from 19% during the pandemic)

Steve Kanefsky

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 4:32 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:Interesting.
Sadly: 50m reel=676,00 € incluign 16% VAT (reduced from 19% during the pandemic)
There are a lot of cheaper options. I think any of the cables that claim to support ethernet, ARC, and CEC along with 4K, etc. are likely to work.

for example: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Atzebe-Fibre-Optic-Supports-Function/dp/B07JQB7CKX

(or if you're in the US: http://amzn.com/B07KG66C11)
Next

Return to Live Production