Webcam out + Record + Stream with the ATEM Mini Pro at the s

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mikeright

Webcam out + Record + Stream with the ATEM Mini Pro at the s

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 10:27 pm

I would like to know if it would be possible to get the webcam out even while your are recording and streaming at the same time.

Is it possible to use a USBC Hub to connect a hard disk (or several HyperDeck studio mini for example) and a computer to get the webcam output?

Thanks and congrats for this amazing new product.

PD. I am figure out how to get the most combining my actual mini with the mini pro: super source,... ;-)

David_Anderson

Re: Webcam out + Record + Stream with the ATEM Mini Pro at t

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 12:23 am

I'll be interested to hearing the answer as well.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

ricardo marty

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 12:28 am

mikeright wrote:I would like to know if it would be possible to get the webcam out even while your are recording and streaming at the same time.

Is it possible to use a USBC Hub to connect a hard disk (or several HyperDeck studio mini for example) and a computer to get the webcam output?

Thanks and congrats for this amazing new product.

PD. I am figure out how to get the most combining my actual mini with the mini pro: super source,... ;-)

All that is addressed in the new video, I think its yes

Ricardo Cardona
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

mikeright

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 5:27 am

I have watched the video and this scenario is not covered. In any moment a usbc is plugged in order to connect several devices and no comments about supporting the three options at the same time.

So let’s see if we get an official answer.

I imaging for example an atem mini pro streaming, recording to a hard disk, playing some clips from an hyper deck studio mini and sending the program back to a zoom call using the webcam output.

Thanks!!

AndyMcHardy

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 2:26 pm

IIRC the USB port on the original mini was only USB2. If they have upgraded the hardware for it to be USB3 it could be possible to record and have access to the webcam features at the same time, but if it is still USB2 then it may be limited by bandwidth. Will have to wait for someone to get hold of the hardware and do a review.
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

mikeright

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 6:54 pm

The question is key because if the answer is no at the end you are going to lose one of this options: recording, webcam out or multiview.

Besides if you decide to kill the recording function then there is no way to record locally your signal through a hardware device maintaining multiview.

The only way will be using some software in you computer. Or use some hardware recorder able to be connected though usb and with a hdmi output to capture the signal (with other device) and come back to the computer.

Any ideas?!

mikeright

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 7:33 pm

I have found this Image
It says usbc 3.1 gen 1... so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeright

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 7:34 pm

And this on the offical BM specs Image

mikeright

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 7:48 pm

So if this is true in theory with a usbc hub it would be possible to connect several hard disks, sd cards, use the webcam output or... even get hdmi out? And everything at the same time?

The iPad Pro uses the same usb and there are plenty of usbc hubs out there with a lot of functions included.

No one of BM out there to confirm?!

mikeright

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 1:25 pm

Email from Blackmagic with bad news.

The ATEM mini Pro can Record over USB-C, Stream over Ethernet.However, if the USB is recording then you won't be able to get the WEB OUT.

It is possible tu use multiple disk hubs, like our multidock for example.

When the USB-C is recoding it pass only an encoded data stream, therefore it does not let you loop a live feed video though it.

Not sure what new features would a new software update bring in the future, and I am afraid we are not at liberty to discuss it.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:32 pm

Guys it is so simple. With USB harddrives the Mini pro is the USB HOST.

While in USB Webcam mode the Mini pro is the USB End point slave.
You can not have both on the same port at the Same time..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andrew Martin

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:51 pm

mikeright wrote:The question is key because if the answer is no at the end you are going to lose one of this options: recording, webcam out or multiview.

What scenario do you envision the need for the webcam for your comment above?

If its streaming?

Recording: USB C.
Multiview: HDMI out.
Streaming: mini pros own streaming engine, via its rj45 network port

From my mobile using Tapatalk

droza_

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:12 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Guys it is so simple. With USB harddrives the Mini pro is the USB HOST.

While in USB Webcam mode the Mini pro is the USB End point slave.
You can not have both on the same port at the Same time..

Hmmm, I'm no expert, but I'm not so sure.... I think it should be possible. Don't USB-C hubs do both all the time nowadays? Over 1 USB C port, for example, that is connected to a USB hub, I am currently running a webcam, an external hard drive, a monitor, and an ethernet port. And I could still add considerably more devices to that hub if I wanted to. So, I think it should in theory be possible that Blackmagic could, with a firmware update, activate something like this in the future (with a USB hub adapter connected into the USB C port).

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Yes Daniel .. Ur right .. One usb port cannot be in booth modes ..

SO we are mising one next output on ATEM MINI PRO :D
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

mikeright

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:53 pm

This is the environment.

I have some keynote speakers connected with zoom. So,

Input 1 > my camera
Input 2 > zoom with active speaker
Input 3 > zoom with all the speakers
Input 4 > slides

I need to stream the signal to YouTube (for example) in order to interact with attendees, send the program signal back to zoom with the webcam output (to my keynote speakers), see the multiview and record locally the program.

If the mini pro would be able to record and get the webcam output at the same time, that environment would be fully covered.

With the answer of Black Magic I don’t see a way to solve it without loosing at least one of the functionalities. And it is really a pity.

At least it would be useful to record and get a new hdmi output through usbc. That extra hdmi output allows to maintain the multiview and capture the program signal to get it back to zoom.

David_Anderson

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 5:11 pm

If you're streaming the program feed to youtube there is your recording. What is the purpose of a local recording?

Best,

David

mikeright wrote:This is the environment.

Input 1 > my camera
Input 4 > slides

I need to stream the signal to YouTube (for example) in order to interact with attendees, send the program signal back to zoom with the webcam output (to my keynote speakers), see the multiview and record locally the program.

If the mini pro would be able to record and get the webcam output at the same time, that environment would be fully covered.

With the answer of Black Magic I don’t see a way to solve it without loosing at least one of the functionalities. And it is really a pity.

At least it would be useful to record and get a new hdmi output through usbc. That extra hdmi output allows to maintain the multiview and capture the program signal to get it back to zoom.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 5:17 pm

David_Anderson wrote:If you're streaming the program feed to youtube there is your recording. What is the purpose of a local recording?

Don't forget that you can be streaming using the internal encoder while recording to a USB-c connected device, so you CAN have it both ways, especially if that recording is ISOs, in which case they're editable. Grant showed a lot of features, so I'm not sure whether or not he said the local recording includes ISOs or only the program, relying on the cameras to record the ISOs.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

mikeright

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 5:30 pm

David_Anderson wrote:If you're streaming the program feed to youtube there is your recording. What is the purpose of a local recording?

Best,

David

Input 1 > my camera
Input 4 > slides

Get a local record, not only the program but even the iso could be great to edit the show and solve some problems or situations. Apart that the quality will be higher than the streamed one.

If I use multiview and webcam out there is no way to make a local record, even with external hardware devices. So as I said at the end you loose part of the magic of this mini pro...

In any case I think that is something that could be solved via a software update. Let’s see

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 6:09 pm

droza_ wrote:Hmmm, I'm no expert, but I'm not so sure.... I think it should be possible. Don't USB-C hubs do both all the time nowadays? Over 1 USB C port, for example, that is connected to a USB hub, I am currently running a webcam, an external hard drive, a monitor, and an ethernet port. And I could still add considerably more devices to that hub if I wanted to. So, I think it should in theory be possible that Blackmagic could, with a firmware update, activate something like this in the future (with a USB hub adapter connected into the USB C port).

What you descibe above ALL devices are SLAVE to the Laptop. And the Laptop is the Host device (Master). ;)

Because the Atem can send data direct to the Harddrive. The Atem can be a Host to the Harddrive, But can also be a slave to a PC / MAC to be a webcam..

But a USB device can not be Master and Slave at the same time.!!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

droza_

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 8:25 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
droza_ wrote:Hmmm, I'm no expert, but I'm not so sure.... I think it should be possible. Don't USB-C hubs do both all the time nowadays? Over 1 USB C port, for example, that is connected to a USB hub, I am currently running a webcam, an external hard drive, a monitor, and an ethernet port. And I could still add considerably more devices to that hub if I wanted to. So, I think it should in theory be possible that Blackmagic could, with a firmware update, activate something like this in the future (with a USB hub adapter connected into the USB C port).

What you descibe above ALL devices are SLAVE to the Laptop. And the Laptop is the Host device (Master). ;)

Because the Atem can send data direct to the Harddrive. The Atem can be a Host to the Harddrive, But can also be a slave to a PC / MAC to be a webcam..

But a USB device can not be Master and Slave at the same time.!!

You're right - very interesting! Thanks.

David_Anderson

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 9:25 pm

There is no ISO recording on any Blackmagic switcher.

Best,

David Anderson

Rakesh Malik wrote:

Don't forget that you can be streaming using the internal encoder while recording to a USB-c connected device, so you CAN have it both ways, especially if that recording is ISOs, in which case they're editable. Grant showed a lot of features, so I'm not sure whether or not he said the local recording includes ISOs or only the program, relying on the cameras to record the ISOs.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 9:47 pm

Right, the ATEMs do not have ISO recording in the ATEM, but you can use the internal recording media in the Pocket 4/6Ks triggered by the ATEM Mini Pro to get ISO recordings of the camera (in the camera).
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

mikeright

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 5:37 am

Cameras are not the only video sources out there ;-)
In any case record iso would be a desired function but not a must like multiview + program output (directly or through a webcam) + record program.

Come on BM!

Daleyelama

PostFri May 08, 2020 8:46 pm

I know exactly, what you mean Mike, as I have the same issue with another setup. I have 3 persons in the same room, attending a Zoom conference with 40 people around the world. These 3 persons are covered with 3 Sony RX0. I've also added an additional HDMI switch on the Input 4 with 2 more RX0 with a wide angel view of the room plus a MacBook Pro, which shows slides and clips.

The output of the second MacPro goes trough a HDMI distributor, which delivers the Zoom image to 3 monitors for the persons in the local room, so they can see all the connected Zoom attendees.

My task is, to use the Multiview output for my external director's monitor and stream to Zoom trough the USB-C connection on the ATEM Mini Pro. So I have no output free to record the clean program output

The only way to get a good signal is either to record all RX0 internal or - like I do it in my final setup - route all 6 RX0 trough 6 Blackmagicdesign bi-directional HDMI to SDI converters. So the HDMI loop trough of the converters feed the ATEM Mini Pro and the HDMI switch, while the SDI output of the converters goes into 2 Atomos Sumo to record the clean Signals. Means, that I have to re-edit the program output in the post.

Of course, it would also be possible to use the Sumos as a multi view device instead of the ATEM, and record the output of the ATEM at the free input of the second Sumo, but then I am missing the other features of the Multiview-output of the Mini Pro.

So it still would be great to have a possibility for recording and streaming on the USB-C output at the same time. After reading all these anwers here, the only left solutions in my opinion could be:

1. find a device, which makes it possible, to record the USB-C output stream of the ATEM and lets the same signal trough to the MacBook which is running Zoom, or
2. find a device, which can record the "stream ethernet output" (which kills the ability to connect the BM software via ethernet), or
3. record the multi view output and zoom in the program window (where it is not possible to remove the overlayed background of the insert - even if I delete the letters) at the postproduction, which will result in quality issues, or
4. record the Zoom conference on the MacBook via the integrated Zoom recording function, which also will be a great loss of quality.

Maybe someone here finds another solution. Please excuse my Austrian English ;-)

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSat May 09, 2020 3:05 pm

I think ATEM TVS HD is better for your scenario ..

Daleyelama

PostSat May 09, 2020 5:21 pm

Roman Pytkin Pekarek wrote:I think ATEM TVS HD is better for your scenario ..

But this device has no direct connection to be recognized as webcam, which will be needed to use it with Zoom or Skype.

RaphaelBender

PostSat May 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Input 1 > my camera
Input 4 > slides

Mike I have a question for you - I'm using the ATEM mini pro for a very similar situation - livestreaming via Zoom. How do you get the Speaker view, Gallery view, and Slides in as 3 separate HDMI feeds? Do you have each of them set up on a separate laptop?

I currently use Zoom on my laptop and run my slides off a Mac Mini; hadn't thought of running 2 machines with Zoom, 1 for speaker and one for gallery. Please expand on your setup and signal path!

DamonMeng

PostSun May 10, 2020 5:30 am

mikeright wrote:So if this is true in theory with a usbc hub it would be possible to connect several hard disks, sd cards, use the webcam output or... even get hdmi out? And everything at the same time?

The iPad Pro uses the same usb and there are plenty of usbc hubs out there with a lot of functions included.

No one of BM out there to confirm?!

If type-C to HDMI output is supported, it's really a great idea, which solves the output problem of PGM HDMI! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jma6610

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 9:24 am

Let me ask a related question.

I'm also wanting to record locally while using the ATEM mini-pro's USB output for connecting to Microsoft Teams and similar services and that doesn't accept a direct encoder stream via ethernet. I can't seem to use both OBS and Teams at the same time unless I use a VirtualCam plugin for OBS and connect to Teams in that manner. If I do, the quality degrades considerably (others are reporting the same problem with no solution). I don't want to lose the multiview so I don't want to use that hdmi output for recording. But there is an unused ethernet output. Is there any way to use this for recording via some type of hardware?

Mariusz

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi,

I'm new here so maybe some answers are given at other posts.

1. Did some of you got a problem with too long recoderd file?
Using USB-C to record at SSD, it stops after 21-22 minutes. Always. NO worning , no continously recording at next file, just stop.
I'm wondering if it is a hardware problem of ATEM, SSD or build limitation at ATEM, which maybe is possible to change? Thx for any advice.

2. I'm also looking for solution to record via USB-C and bring ATEM as camera via USB-C to laptop for Zoom...

3. We are using HDMI spliter to have "Program" view at few LFD at studio. It works, but of course we see "mulitiview" not "program", as operator is using "mutliview". Any idea how to give to one person "mulitiview" screen and to others "program" only? Probably no chance, as it is one HDMI out signal but maybe...

rgds
Mariusz

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 5:56 pm

jma6610 wrote:Let me ask a related question.

I'm also wanting to record locally while using the ATEM mini-pro's USB output for connecting to Microsoft Teams and similar services and that doesn't accept a direct encoder stream via ethernet. I can't seem to use both OBS and Teams at the same time unless I use a VirtualCam plugin for OBS and connect to Teams in that manner. If I do, the quality degrades considerably (others are reporting the same problem with no solution). I don't want to lose the multiview so I don't want to use that hdmi output for recording. But there is an unused ethernet output. Is there any way to use this for recording via some type of hardware?
According to this thread, the problems with the video quality in Microsoft Teams only affects the Teams desktop client, but does not occur when using the browser-based web client:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/ob ... pe.118800/

The problem seems to be that the Teams desktop client selects a low resolution option for the OBS virtual camera output, but apparently the web client behaves differently.

In terms of the Ethernet streaming output, you would need to run an RTMP server to receive the H.264 stream from the ATEM Mini Pro if you want to use it for recording or some other purpose. This could likely be done with the Nginx RTMP server module or using Wowza, but either would require some setup so it's not exactly a turnkey solution.

There are also some hardware RTMP streaming decoders that output to HDMI, which you could then connect to a hardware video recorder (like the HyperDeck Studio Mini or Video Assist). This might get kind of expensive though, as it involves two extra pieces of hardware. There's some additional discussion of hardware RTMP decoders in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=115156

jma6610

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 8:24 pm

Thanks Dave, I did see that thread about Teams desktop client versus web browser. In my own experimentation, I'm finding that somewhat correct, but still see a good bit of quality degrading even when downloading a recorded video after the event regardless of whether it's played on the desktop client or elsewhere. It looks like the H.26x to HDMI converter is an option, but a bit expensive for the benefit.

There appear to be a large number of people who want to be able to do this - would have been nice for BM to have built this capability in, but of course cost is a factor.

ngoprekologi

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:46 am

Mariusz wrote:Hi,

3. We are using HDMI spliter to have "Program" view at few LFD at studio. It works, but of course we see "mulitiview" not "program", as operator is using "mutliview". Any idea how to give to one person "mulitiview" screen and to others "program" only? Probably no chance, as it is one HDMI out signal but maybe...

rgds
Mariusz

I used one Laptop running VLC with USB 3.0 as webcam input from Atem Pro. The VLC then convert it to HDMI, by using "File - Open Capture Device - Input Devices: Video & Audio to BM device".
I can local record the video as well on the VLC as AVI.

SimonM3i

PostSun Jul 12, 2020 11:34 am

Hello, this is my first post here as a new BlackmagicDesign ATEM Mini Pro user in a Live Setup with Streaming to platforms as well as Zoom and Google Meet / Microsoft Team calls.

I had the same issue as most of you in this thread which is having all of the below functions work at the same time:
1) Multiview for the producer
2) Program out (either for Zoom or for the stage so the host and guests can see the realtime Program)
3) Record the Program output in full quality

I experimented with several USB hubs and dongles (and yes - being host and client at the same time apparently does not work) and came up with this Mac-based solution:

- HDMI out shows Multiview for the producer
- MacBook Pro has a USB-C dongle with the ATEM Mini Pro connected and an external screen over the dongle's HDMI-Out (I am using the Hootoo Shuttle but I guess others will work the same way)

Now I start Quicktime and choose to record video. I select the Blackmagic video source (just as I would with a webcam) and the audio likewise. The HDMI monitor is configured as extended monitor. I move the Quicktime to the monitor and go full-screen. It will show the Program Out of the ATEM Mini. As soon as I hit record (high quality is sufficient) it will store the file in full quality on my hard disk.

At the same time I can still use the video source to display as my video input in any Zoom or Meet (only tested Meet though).

For me, this solves my problem for now. I hope this helps anyone!

Simon

Monza_007

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 8:54 pm

Look at the ATEM Streaming Bridge. It solves these problems by converting the H.265 IP stream from the ethernet port to HDMI out. Problem solved!

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 12:02 am

Where do U get H265 stream ?

andyless

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 7:37 pm

Monza_007 wrote:Look at the ATEM Streaming Bridge. It solves these problems by converting the H.265 IP stream from the ethernet port to HDMI out. Problem solved!

This is a great work around!!!
Anyway, one more thought since I have the same problem (with the ProISO) and need the USBC to record all 5 streams.
Does anyone know if there is a tool for pc/mac which can grab/capture the steram from the atem network port and present it as a webcam? This would solve the problem to stream via webex/Temas/Zoom without the need of streaming bridge + HDMI capture card.

f1ght3r

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 4:55 pm

andyless wrote:
Monza_007 wrote:Look at the ATEM Streaming Bridge. It solves these problems by converting the H.265 IP stream from the ethernet port to HDMI out. Problem solved!

This is a great work around!!!
Anyway, one more thought since I have the same problem (with the ProISO) and need the USBC to record all 5 streams.
Does anyone know if there is a tool for pc/mac which can grab/capture the steram from the atem network port and present it as a webcam? This would solve the problem to stream via webex/Temas/Zoom without the need of streaming bridge + HDMI capture card.
As in the PC world everything is posible... i am thinking at using windows, then run vmix which can capture the network stream (using vlc for vmix), then output that over ndi to the ndi tools virtual input which you can add to whatever conference software you are using ( in some cases the use of a virtual audio cable with added delay may be required).

andyless

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 1:20 am

f1ght3r wrote:As in the PC world everything is posible... i am thinking at using windows, then run vmix which can capture the network stream (using vlc for vmix), then output that over ndi to the ndi tools virtual input which you can add to whatever conference software you are using ( in some cases the use of a virtual audio cable with added delay may be required).

Please let us know if it worked.

musicalbuehne

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 7:41 pm

andyless wrote:
f1ght3r wrote:As in the PC world everything is posible... i am thinking at using windows, then run vmix which can capture the network stream (using vlc for vmix), then output that over ndi to the ndi tools virtual input which you can add to whatever conference software you are using ( in some cases the use of a virtual audio cable with added delay may be required).

I tried to have a go at the idea of f1ght3r and wrote up a little PoC:
https://github.com/musicalbuehne/AtemMiniProRtmpWebcam
In short: It does in fact work and that pretty well. If you don't mind the delay of around 30 seconds the solution seems quite stable. Had no audio / video dropouts or disconnects in over an hour of streaming.
For the solution to be even more robust I would recommend using nginx, have a look at the "Sources" on how to use that.

andyless

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 7:58 pm

Yesterday I found this "manycam.com" which seems to do exactly what everyone here is looking for. A software which can receive an RTMP stream and deliver it as a webcam device which you can use in other apps. So far I could not figure out which is the configuration I need in the stream.xml file.
Did anyone else tried this?

f1ght3r

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 8:12 pm

andyless wrote:Yesterday I found this "manycam.com" which seems to do exactly what everyone here is looking for. A software which can receive an RTMP stream and deliver it as a webcam device which you can use in other apps. So far I could not figure out which is the configuration I need in the stream.xml file.
Did anyone else tried this?

as far as i've understood this software is just a streaming software (it streams to your desired platform) while we were discussing about capturing the stream from the atem mini on a pc to use as webcam

f1ght3r

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 8:14 pm

musicalbuehne wrote:
andyless wrote:

I tried to have a go at the idea of f1ght3r and wrote up a little PoC:
https://github.com/musicalbuehne/AtemMiniProRtmpWebcam
In short: It does in fact work and that pretty well. If you don't mind the delay of around 30 seconds the solution seems quite stable. Had no audio / video dropouts or disconnects in over an hour of streaming.
For the solution to be even more robust I would recommend using nginx, have a look at the "Sources" on how to use that.

I might have to give this a try (using the nginx aproach) as it's a "free" alternative to what i suggested.

musicalbuehne

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 8:52 pm

f1ght3r wrote:I might have to give this a try (using the nginx aproach) as it's a "free" alternative to what i suggested.

In the meantime I used ffmpeg and nginx, both are a viable option and open source. Feel free to share your suggestions here and on github.

johnnyquicksand

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 11:54 pm

SimonM3i wrote:Hello, this is my first post here as a new BlackmagicDesign ATEM Mini Pro user in a Live Setup with Streaming to platforms as well as Zoom and Google Meet / Microsoft Team calls.

I had the same issue as most of you in this thread which is having all of the below functions work at the same time:
1) Multiview for the producer
2) Program out (either for Zoom or for the stage so the host and guests can see the realtime Program)
3) Record the Program output in full quality

I experimented with several USB hubs and dongles (and yes - being host and client at the same time apparently does not work) and came up with this Mac-based solution:

- HDMI out shows Multiview for the producer
- MacBook Pro has a USB-C dongle with the ATEM Mini Pro connected and an external screen over the dongle's HDMI-Out (I am using the Hootoo Shuttle but I guess others will work the same way)

Now I start Quicktime and choose to record video. I select the Blackmagic video source (just as I would with a webcam) and the audio likewise. The HDMI monitor is configured as extended monitor. I move the Quicktime to the monitor and go full-screen. It will show the Program Out of the ATEM Mini. As soon as I hit record (high quality is sufficient) it will store the file in full quality on my hard disk.

At the same time I can still use the video source to display as my video input in any Zoom or Meet (only tested Meet though).

For me, this solves my problem for now. I hope this helps anyone!

Simon

Just now seeing this thread and your solution actually made the most sense. Although why do you need an external monitor? I just tried following your steps and was able to record the program feed with QT and just minimize that window. As long as the feed looks good in Zoom there's no need to monitor QT. Perhaps I'm missing something?

-g3cd-

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 8:13 pm

I'm thinking of using the Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Recorder 3G to convert the HDMI out signal to a USB format that can be sent as a webcam input to my computer, while at the same time using the native USB 3.1 port for recording. Has anyone tried that yet?

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 11:54 pm

UltraStudio Recorder 3G is THUNDERBOLT device .. not USB-C

Return to Live Production