Feature Request - ATEM mini - Auto Ducking

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Philipp Glaninger

Feature Request - ATEM mini - Auto Ducking

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 1:02 pm

Since I have discovered the "auto ducking" feature on the Resolve-Fairlight page I have been using it more and more on my projects. Now I am wondering if it is possible to implement the same feature in the Fairlight Page of the ATEM Mini. Maybe it can be implemented easily since both pages are using similar Fairlight UI?

Example:
A Live Broadcast with a Mic on Channel 1. Some Background Music on HDMI Channel 2 and sometimes additonal Sounds from HDMI Channel 3. Than the "Auto Duck" would lower Channel 2 and 3 whenever some audible thing is said on Channel 1. That would create a smoother audience experience.
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

Kent Nichols

Re: Feature Request - ATEM mini - Auto Ducking

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:02 pm

ooh that would be super fun to have.
askaninja.com

Joel__B

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 6:44 pm

I have just got the ATEM Mini Pro ISO and am really impressed.

But it would be great to have the auto ducking feature suggested above, adding a sidechain option to the compressor settings for example.

Tim_Partridge

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 am

I'd support this, but not sure how complex it is.

If possible I'd like to add some extra complexity!

The sidechain signal is given a threshold before it activates the reduction in the other channels. This stops random noise triggering the reduction. (Including breathing when not talking, assuming no heavy breathing.)

The difficulty is that a genuine voice signal starts below the threshold in volume, and until it reaches the threshold the other signals are at full volume and the start of utterances can be lost.

It is of course impossible for a circuit to see the future and trigger in anticipation. What is possible is to delay the output signal and then trigger the reduction based on the undelayed input, so the length of the time of the delay benefits from the reduction.

We of course don't want to delay audio just for this. However sometimes we are delaying the input audio anyway in order to be in sync with delayed video. So if we are doing this, can we have the option to put in an anticpation setting for the sidechain up to this amount of delay?

(I'm not sure if Resolve is doing this - it might be able to by reading ahead in the audio track data, since it is working with recordings, not live.)

Thanks,

Tim

stefstabilizer

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 5:10 pm

Signed up specifically to request this feature!

I run DJ Streams and was hoping to use the ATEM Mini Pro to stream the show with the DJ able to chat over the music without having to drop the volume manually. Connecting the mixer output to Mic 1 and a Microphone to Mic 2 and setting Mic 2 as a sidechain to Mic1's compressor.

I wouldn't need any predelay as mentioned, just a simple sidechain. A bonus would be able to have the sidechain *in addition* to the compressor reacting to it's own tracks audio thus giving me some clipping protection before the hard limiter. But I could live without that.

This would allow me to record the music part of the stream direct from the mixer on a separate recorder without any weird audio dips for archival to MixCloud.

plusyourcontent

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 8:45 pm

Could someone from BMD ATEM Mini development please report here if a sidechain ducking feature with setup via ATEM software control of course, is feasible (or even better a dynamically triggered 2-band subtractive EQ like Waves F6 or TDR NOVA)? That would be sooooo cooool.

Return to Live Production