Ultra Studio Mini Recorder + NIKON HDMI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tbyrne

Ultra Studio Mini Recorder + NIKON HDMI

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 10:32 am

Hi everyone. I just purchased a BM Ultra Studio Mini Recorder and simply cannot get it to recognise any of my NIKON cameras. I have absolutely no problem using it with my GoPros using BM Media Express Skype, Zoom, OBS/YouTube Live, etc.

The issue is definitely the HDMI signal coming from Nikon cameras, which gives me no other problems with other professional recorders and monitors. I know that this topic has been raised a few times in other threads but I wish to start a fresh one with the goal of getting this issue fixed by BM - futile as it may be, I wish to try. Below is the ticket I submitted today to BM support. I will update this thread with any response I get from them.

If anyone has had success with this device and any of the Nikon cameras I mention below, I would appreciate knowing exactly how you succeeded.

Best regards,
-Ted

===

SUPPORT REQUEST - April 14, 2020

Good day,

I recently purchased the BM Ultra Studio Mini Recorder (USMR) as my entry product into the BM product line.

I had no issues setting up the device for immediate capture and live stream use with several GoPro cameras. However, after several days of futile attempts I can deduce that there is an incompatibility with the device and the clean HDMI output on professional grade Nikon cameras. I have made lengthy, systematic tests using the D4, D850 and the Z6 with absolutely no success with all video formats up to 25fps and 30fps in 1080P and 1080i. I have tried ALL options yet the NIKON HDMI signal is simply not recognised by the USMR.

*** For all the aforementioned cameras the signal is detected immediately using an ATOMOS NinjaV and ATOMOS STAR recorders as well as other passive monitors. Firmware is up to date all all cameras and devices. I conclude that the issue is definitely a HDMI compatibility between the Nikon cameras and the BlackMagic USMR.

Please note that this issue has been discussed at length in your forum community. I am new to your product line so I am unaware if you follow the threads on those forums.

Although I am able to use the BM USMR with other cameras, I am very disappointed with this issue as the main purpose for purchasing the BM USMR device was to use with my Nikon cameras for quality live stream events.

I would greatly very much appreciate a response and advice on whether you can recognise and eventually solve this compatibility issue. Thank you.

Best regards,
Ted Byrne

Chris Gosling

Re: Ultra Studio Mini Recorder + NIKON HDMI

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 8:05 pm

Hi Ted.

Had (have) the same problem. Tried my D850 last week with the mini recorder and had the same problem as you. Funny thing though - I also have an older Intensity extreme and it works just fine. Same cables.

Also have a D810, this works as well.

Now to add even more to this - when I add my original video assist 5” to the signal chain, the mini recorder works fine.

Chris

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 8:10 pm

I would connect the problematic cameras to a Monitor and check what the actual camera output resolution and frame rate is. Issue could be a mismatch in device settings, for example, the Mini Recorder is expecting a progressive signal, and the camera is outputting an interlaced signal.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Gosling

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 8:48 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I would connect the problematic cameras to a Monitor and check what the actual camera output resolution and frame rate is. Issue could be a mismatch in device settings, for example, the Mini Recorder is expecting a progressive signal, and the camera is outputting an interlaced signal.
Cheers

Thanks Denny, but that’s the first thing I did. Checked & rechecked and tried different cables etc etc.

The strange part for me was the intensity working and not the mini recorder.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 2:00 am

This thread suggests some success with a Nikon D850 outputting to a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI Micro Converter, and from there into the UltraStudio Mini Recorder (over SDI):
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=70794

Obviously, it would be nice not to have to use another device for this, but assuming this option works, it might be better than nothing.

tbyrne

PostSat May 02, 2020 1:53 pm

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your replies. Sorry, I didn't have the email notification option turned "on" for thread replies, so I'm just seeing your responses now.

Blackmagic replied to me and said they will look into the issue. They asked me if I could make a video showing the parameters I used with various cameras so I did just that.

The link to the video is below if you're interested. I do ramble on a little though, going though the different demos (GoPro H4, Nikon D3400, Z6 & D850), but the timecodes are in the description if you wish to jump around the different sections.

I'll update the thread if I have any news from the BM team.
Cheers.

jpsoto

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 2:20 am

Exactly same here, with a Nikon D7500 exporting HDMI to high quality cables that works with all other stuff and BlackMagic Studio Recorder.

Weird thing is that I was actually able to capture for some brief moments video (both 720p and 1080p) but I have actually assigned a profile on the capture software I was using (Wirecast by that time, but I'm also trying with OBS, ScreenFlow, Final Cut even my beloved iMovie!, etc) and frozen the setup con my camera and I haven't been able to recreate it. Same setup, same config, same everything. Have the original captured files for info regarding format and speed and such.

Please let us know and if you can tweet about it please include @jpsoto on the list and I'll let know to my followers also about it!

In the meantime, I'm using a hack that I've found on youtube (specially to use the camera along Cisco Webex and Zoom for my events). I connect USB to my 2019 MacBook Pro (USB-C to USB adapter obviously) and open "Camera Live" and then "CamTwist" and I use the usb feed. It's not same quality and I lose auto focus... but at least allows me to use my lenses.

The hack is here if anyone is interested (youtube link) youtube watch?v=EJJQminBmQs
(Kudos to Kim Farrelly).
All the problems of the world could be settled easily if men were only willing to THINK.
Thomas J. Watson

Josh.live

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 11:13 pm

I have the UltraStudio Mini Recorder and I find that my Nikon Z6 only outputs 1080p at 60fps and it does not work with this recorder. With my 2020 13’ MBP I can get the recorder to work in 720p if I use the Capture software ie OBS to change the input settings to SDI ( add source, Blackmagic device, name it choose my BM video connection hdmi save) then I change it from SDI to HDMI in the BM software (Not sure why it defaults back to SDI but what ever). I then have to cycle between menu and video (I press the menu button then the shutter) sometimes I do this 20+ times to get it to work other times its like 5 or 6, not that easy but I get it to work every time I stream. I would really like to know if the New Mini recorder 3G will either connect sooner and be able to use my cameras 1080, or just better at 720. I would also like to see 4K at this size even for 60$ or so more.

I hope this helps if you need any other information to help you out just let me know.

gapwedge

PostFri Sep 04, 2020 12:14 am

I'm having a similar problem.

The setup: Mac mini running Catalina 10.15.6 connected to a UltraStudio Recorder 3G using a thunderbolt 3 cable into Media Express. Audio input is selected to the Recorder 3G. I have an external condenser mic running through a Behringer 1002FX and into my Nikon. HDMI out of the Nikon into the Recorder 3G.

Works perfectly on my D750 - audio and video. 1080p/60 input.
Absolutely no audio from my D850. Video works fine. Audio tests fine in-camera using headphones and to the SD card, but zero levels in Media Express

Same setup and cables for both.

What am I missing?

Josh.live

PostSun Sep 06, 2020 10:09 pm

I have heard that the D850 does not send external audio natively through HDMI. My Z6 works like this. I need to capture my audio in my computer directly and not have it run through my camera. I would connect right into your mini then if needed adjust audio timing. I know that some people uses the Atmos NinjaV for a workaround. With a robust audio setup that you have I would bet you would get downgraded performance going to and through the D850 then back to your computer.

plaurids

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 8:16 pm

I have stumbled upon the same problem. I have a Nikon D7200 and a D850 - the former works with no problems with the BM UltraStudio Mini Recorder, but the latter is unable to get a HDMI signal through the Mini Recorder. I have the latest firmware on the D850, the exact same HDMI output configurations on both cameras and the latest Linux drivers for the Mini Recorder (my working on Linux is the reason why I chose the latter to capture the HDMI output of my DSLR's for my video lectures). Pressing the shutter and Menu buttons at the same time several times as some suggested didn't do anything for me.

However, I found out that any HDMI passthrough device seems to be able to "correct" the D850's HDMI signal from the Mini Recorder's standpoint, not just the Atomos Ninja V. I've got a cheap Chinese HDMI audio extraction (ARC) device for a different purpose, and it turned out that just putting it between the D850 and the Mini Recorder did the trick. That may work with the Z6 and other affected Nikon cameras as well. This is consistent with other people findings that converting the D850's video signal from HDMI to SDI before feeding it to the Mini Recorder also solves the problem - what is fixing the issue is probably not really the conversion from HDMI to SDI, but simply passing the signal through the converter. Of course, this is still not an ideal solution since one still needs an additional device, but this may point to a more satisfactory fix.

plaurids

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 4:56 pm

plaurids wrote:I have stumbled upon the same problem. I have a Nikon D7200 and a D850 - the former works with no problems with the BM UltraStudio Mini Recorder, but the latter is unable to get a HDMI signal through the Mini Recorder. I have the latest firmware on the D850, the exact same HDMI output configurations on both cameras and the latest Linux drivers for the Mini Recorder (my working on Linux is the reason why I chose the latter to capture the HDMI output of my DSLR's for my video lectures). Pressing the shutter and Menu buttons at the same time several times as some suggested didn't do anything for me.

However, I found out that any HDMI passthrough device seems to be able to "correct" the D850's HDMI signal from the Mini Recorder's standpoint, not just the Atomos Ninja V. I've got a cheap Chinese HDMI audio extraction (ARC) device for a different purpose, and it turned out that just putting it between the D850 and the Mini Recorder did the trick. That may work with the Z6 and other affected Nikon cameras as well. This is consistent with other people findings that converting the D850's video signal from HDMI to SDI before feeding it to the Mini Recorder also solves the problem - what is fixing the issue is probably not really the conversion from HDMI to SDI, but simply passing the signal through the converter. Of course, this is still not an ideal solution since one still needs an additional device, but this may point to a more satisfactory fix.

In due time, if I try to use the HDMI ARC device as a passthrough with the D7200 instead of the D850, the effect is actually the opposite: the BM Mini Recorder no longer displays the video signal. Weird.

Christopher Dobey

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 4:50 pm

throwing in my situation as well:

Nikon Z6 HDMI 2160p29.97 out to UltraStudio Recorder 3G works with video but no audio.

The same Z6 HDMI out works with video and audio to Atomos Ninja V.

workaround: Z6 HDMI --> Ninja V --> HDMI loop out --> UltraStudio Recorder 3G [audio + video function properly]

secondary test: Z6 HDMI --> DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G [ audio + video function correctly]

macOS 12.6
Desktop Video 12.4
MacBook Pro M1 Max 16"
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

pslqbr

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 10:44 am

Well
I never actually found a real solution to the audio issue, and I bet is something related to the audio codec that nikon uses.
However I managed a workaround in Linux using ffmpeg

To use as webcam ( keep in mind that you'll have to select your mic later on in the software ) :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash -l
declink="$(ffmpeg -sources decklink 2>/dev/null | awk '{ if ( $0 ~ /UltraStudio Recorder 3G/  ) print $1; }')"
microphone="alsa_input.usb-TEAC_Corporation_TASCAM_DR_Series-00.pro-input-0"
sudo rmmod v4l2loopback
sudo modprobe v4l2loopback
if [ -n "$(pactl list sources short | grep ${microphone})" ]; then
   pactl set-default-source ${microphone}
   pactl set-source-mute ${microphone} 0
   pactl set-source-volume ${microphone} 100%

fi

ffmpeg \
  -hwaccel nvdec \
  -f decklink -i "${declink}"  -format_code Hp25 -video_input hdmi -c:v rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p -an \
  -vf lut3d="Z_6_N-Log-Full_to_REC709-Full_33_V01-00.cube" \
  -threads 0  -f v4l2 /dev/video0

pactl set-source-volume ${microphone} 0%
pactl set-source-mute ${microphone} 1

To actually record something:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash -l
declink="$(ffmpeg -sources decklink 2>/dev/null | awk '{ if ( $0 ~ /UltraStudio Recorder 3G/  ) print $1; }')"
microphone="alsa_input.usb-TEAC_Corporation_TASCAM_DR_Series-00.pro-input-0"
#microphone="alsa_input.usb-TEAC_Corporation_TASCAM_DR_Series-00.analog-stereo"
o_cv="dnxhd -profile:v dnxhr_hqx -pix_fmt yuv422p10le" # prores -> gigantic file
#o_cv="libvpx-vp9 -lossless 1 -row-mt 1"
o_ca="pcm_s24le" # pcm_s24le
container="mov"
if [ -z "${1}" ]; then
  DESTDIR="/tmp"
else
  DESTDIR="${1}"
fi
LUT3D="Z_6_N-Log-Full_to_REC709-Full_33_V01-00.cube"
OUTPUT_FILE="$(mktemp -p ${DESTDIR} -u --suffix=.${container})"

pactl set-source-mute ${microphone} 0
pactl set-source-volume ${microphone} 100%
#
ffmpeg -y -hwaccel nvdec -threads 0 \
  -f decklink -raw_format yuv422p10 -i "${declink}" \
  -f pulse -acodec ${o_ca} -i ${microphone} \
  -vf lut3d="${LUT3D}" \
  -c:v ${o_cv} -c:a ${o_ca} ${OUTPUT_FILE}
#
pactl set-source-mute ${microphone} 1

You can change the output video codec to something like hevc_nvenc to save space, but as I'm on the free version of Resolve.... no point

Return to Live Production