Crop/Recenter output from BMPCC cameras in ATEM Mini/Pro?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jonkwilliams

Crop/Recenter output from BMPCC cameras in ATEM Mini/Pro?

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 4:45 pm

As the ATEM Mini and Mini Pro are both looking for HD inputs rather than 4K or 6K, which the two compatible BMPCC cameras are capable of, I assume the HDMI output of either of those cameras has to be set, in the camera, to a maximum of 1920x1080.

I'm wondering, though, if I'd have the ability to crop into the BMPCC's 4K or 6K image to isolate a smaller 16:9 portion of what its sensor is "seeing." I haven't read anything in the ATEM Mini/Pro literature suggesting I can do that in the ATEM itself so I assume, at the moment, it would have to be done either in the camera settings or somewhere between the camera and the ATEM.

What I would like to see available, through a software update to the ATEM and its software control panel, is the ability to virtually "zoom" the camera's lens for a tighter shot on my subject. I would want that zoomed image, of course, to still be in full 1920x1080 resolution, as the 4K and 6K resolutions of the cameras ought to be able to give me. The only alternative right now, it seems, is to use an actual zoom lens.

If the ATEM could, itself, electronically crop and recenter an image from a 4K or 6K camera (any, I guess, not just the BMPCC line), then you could conceivably split the 4/6K HDMI output from one camera and run two HDMI lines into separate ATEM inputs, recropping/recentering for two distinct shots from the same camera; full frame, host and guest, for instance, and tight on guest. Or complete stage and tighter on podium.

Any way to do this already, or in the works? Is there another switcher a step up that does this?

Denny Smith

Re: Crop/Recenter output from BMPCC cameras in ATEM Mini/Pro

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Correct, the the HDMI output of the Pocket Cameras 4/6K has to be set to a maximum of 1920x1080 HD output, which is down converted from the resolution setting the camera is using. The Pocket cameras have a 2.8K sensor crop mode which can be used with the camera set to HD, giving you a “virtual zoom” but, I do not think the ATEM CCU can switch the sensor crop as this requires the camera to do a soft reboot, so it would have to be preset at any rate.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

dbussert

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 9:16 pm

Did you find any solutions to get multiple 1080p shots out of a BMPCC? We have a 6k and would like to get more angles into our ATEM switcher

Daniel Melching

PostThu Oct 22, 2020 10:37 am

I am also desparately looking for a way to virtually crop the 6k image while still keeping full 1920x1080 resolution.

If this is not available at the moment, it would be a MASSIVE feature request, because that would make an ATEM switcher working with the BMPCC 6K an absolute powerhouse!

The 6K camera offers enough resolution for multiple "angles", but recording a full 6K image (which can be triggered from the ATEM software) all the time produces waaayyyy to much useless data.

I am working in an eLearning environment where we produce hour after hour of content on a rather tight budget. Having the ability to remotely create multiple "angles" (e. g. using macros) from our one BMPCC 6K, but getting them into the ATEM mini as one 1920x1080 input would mean the world to us!!

Return to Live Production