Live Video Venue Capture Solution

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pastormatt

Live Video Venue Capture Solution

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 6:23 pm

I work at a church and we are looking at a better solution for capturing HD footage from our Canon XH A1S. For the past few years they've had a firewire cable plugged into the back of the camera running into an iMac for recording purposes. However, with the regular pulling and tugging on the cable due to the camera rotating on the tripod--the jack is nearly worn out.

Another cable has also been plugged into the camera--the 1/8" to composite cable--which has been sent to a converter to coax for use on live television feeds throughout the building. This cable is also wearing out the jack.

Also, we've been recording using an older version of Adobe OnLocation--which doesn't record into a very helpful format for my FCP X workflow.

I'm looking at using a breakout component cable from the camera, and I'm trying to figure out which device may be the best for capturing the footage. I'm looking at the Intensity Shuttle with Thunderbolt. My two questions are:

1) If I run audio and video into this device via Component video and stereo RCA audio, will I be able to passthrough/convert the live video feed to composite? That is, with HD component video coming into the device, will the composite out carry the SD 720x480 image?

If not, what would a better solution be for running video to tv's throughout the building?

2) How intensive is the capturing/conversion process on the computer (I'm considering capturing to either 1080i or 720 prores)? Will I be able to run other programs in the foreground while this is occurring? Specifically, we are looking to run ProPresenter on this machine as well.

Return to Live Production