Bad UltraStudio 4k Mini?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Linden deCarmo

Bad UltraStudio 4k Mini?

PostSun May 03, 2020 12:28 am

Got an UltraStudio 4k Mini on Friday and it appears to be bad.

• When powered on, there's no image on the front panel from either HDMI or SDI sources
  • The menu doesn't show on the front panel
  • The keys light up when the unit boots but never again when depressed.
  • 2016 Macbook Pro reports that I need to use a Thunderbolt 3 cable when the devices is plugged in. Desktop Video app never shows that the device is connected.
  • 2018 iMacPro reports that I plug the cable into a Thunderbolt port when the devices is plugged in (the iMacPro only has Thunderbolt ports). Desktop Video app never shows that the device is connected.
  • 2016 Dell 9560 reports that Thunderbolt functionality may be reduced when the device is connected. Desktop Video app never shows that the device is connected.

This is the USB-C cable I'm using with the device

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B071WNXY1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any hope for this thing before I return it? Is there some secret set of button presses that can reset it? Should it automatically preview any active input?

AndyMcHardy

Re: Bad UltraStudio 4k Mini?

PostSun May 03, 2020 9:20 am

I don't know about the UltraStudio 4k Mini itself, but the cable you have purchased will not work as intended. The Amazon listing says it is USB C to USB C 2.0 with a Data Transfer Rate of 480Mbps.

For a computer with Thunderbolt 3, you would need: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JYDQ7N/
For a computer with USB 3.1, you would need: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076D76DRQ/
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

Linden deCarmo

PostMon May 04, 2020 4:27 pm

AndyMcHardy wrote:I don't know about the UltraStudio 4k Mini itself, but the cable you have purchased will not work as intended. The Amazon listing says it is USB C to USB C 2.0 with a Data Transfer Rate of 480Mbps.

I didn't look at the data transfer rate when connecting the cable. I ended up getting this cable to connect to th UltraStudio 4k Mini

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Certified-Thunderbolt-Supports-Compatible/dp/B076D76DRQ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

and then the one you recommended to interface with the Multidock 10G

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JYDQ7N/

Linden deCarmo

PostWed May 06, 2020 12:13 am

AndyMcHardy wrote:For a computer with Thunderbolt 3, you would need: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JYDQ7N/

Got the cable above today, The device was detected by Desktop Video on the Macbook but not on the Dell. In addition, when it was plugged in on the Macbook, the front panel started to work!

Tomorrow, I will get a Thunderbolt 3 (40mbps USB-C cable). I'll see if the Dell will work with this.

My question is this working as designed or a bug? It seems very odd to me that the front panel is completely non-functional unless the device has had a TB3 connection during the current boot cycle. I thought the unit was bad so I ordered a replacement. Now I'm unsure.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 06, 2020 3:40 pm

Hello Linden. The front panel will only work when connected to software capable of controlling the unit. Otherwise, the front panel has no function. Stay safe.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Linden deCarmo

PostWed May 06, 2020 8:07 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Linden. The front panel will only work when connected to software capable of controlling the unit. Otherwise, the front panel has no function. Stay safe.

Regards, Gary

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the clarification. Glad to hear we have a fully functional unit.

Linden deCarmo

PostWed May 06, 2020 8:45 pm

Gary,

Now we just need to solve the problem of no webcam in FaceTime and black screen in Google Meet with the BlackMagic OS X drivers that is documented in several other threads. Do you know if this is a problem with the operating system or the drivers or both?

Mini Recorder no picture on Mac
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=109418

Zoom Mac Update Kills UltraStudio Feed
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=110981

Ultra Studio Mini Recorder - Google Meet
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112370

asafblasberg

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 10:16 pm

Hello,
I have the same issue. My 4K Mini sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.
It's connected via a custom PC build via Thunderbolt on my desktop computer. First, I plug the A/C adapter into the device. Make sure the Thunderbolt cable is plugged in. Then, turn on the computer.
Sometimes, Desktop Video Setup will recognize it, and sometimes not.

What is crazy is that once I DO have the connection, if I reset my computer, Desktop Video Setup, upon re-booting, no longer sees the device.

I have a Windows 11 build, 64GB RAM, 11th Gen i7-11700 proc, NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GPU, 16TB RAID0, 500GB SSD boot drive.

Running latest version 12.2.2 of Desktop Video Setup. The Thunderbolt Intel utility recognizes the device perfectly, every time. But Desktop Video Setup simply does not see it.

Thanks,
Asaf

Return to Live Production