Disableing camera menu from appearing

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Roger Bansemer

Disableing camera menu from appearing

PostThu May 07, 2020 1:10 pm

When I "Go Live" on Youtube, how do I get streaming to show up without the flip screen camera Menu (battery life, etc) from showing up on the stream? On some of my camera preferences I can disable a few items but not all. On my Sony AX53 the HDMI port is positioned that requires that the flip screen be open in order to plug in the HDMI and then all those menus show up on the stream. Is this a common problem?

I finally have my Mini (not pro) working. All along the cameras didn't show up simply because I was using Mozilla to try and go live on Youtube then I found out that Chrome accepted the mini. What an ordeal for over a week. Thanks for everyone in a former post for your suggestions.
Thanks
Roger

Denny Smith

Re: Disableing camera menu from appearing

PostThu May 07, 2020 4:15 pm

You need to go into the individual camera menus and turn off any camera overlays or set the HDMI output to a Clean Feed. However, not all cameras have this option.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Roger Bansemer

PostThu May 07, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi Denny,
Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case about the menu showing up but wasn't sure.
Roger

singingzoologist

PostThu May 07, 2020 4:38 pm

Yep, I'm having the same issue. It was no problem with a Lumix G9 (although it did take awhile to find in all the menu options) but I can't get it totally clean on my Lumix GH2s; I still have a couple of control icons showing but I can live with them. I wonder if I could eliminate them with a mask...
Lucas Miller
www.singingzoologist.com
Youtube.com/user/biorhythms
ATEM Mini Pro

Denny Smith

PostThu May 07, 2020 5:10 pm

A mask might work. There was a hack for the GH2, if I remember correctly that provided a clean feed, among other fixes.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat May 09, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Roger Bansemer

PostSat May 09, 2020 12:51 pm

I wonder why no one ever mentioned this issue in any of the many tutorials I watched. Not a one, because this is a pretty big deal when wanting to stream.

Eric-Jan

PostSat May 09, 2020 5:20 pm

Clean HDMI output, is not a feature to decide on while buying a camera :) (most of the time)
not all camera's allow you to record internaly, while using the HDMI to output to an external device,
most MFT or DSLR will need a dummy battery for external power, most other camera's will have an external power connection.
I guess one should watch for "mark ?" type of camera for added features, would be nice if a firmware update could add a "clean hdmi" option, maybe start a ticket at such a manufactor, asking for this option....

btw. (random) Youtube tutorials are not complete most of the time, you need to do research for yourself if the sugested options are available on your equipment, or check before buying the equipment, also, do not put faith in the random Youtube guides, there are some good reputable channels, where you also get answers to your questions.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Denny Smith

PostSat May 09, 2020 6:27 pm

Also, a GH2 is past it sell by date having been replaced by the GH3, GH4, and GH5, all of which are better video choice with clean HDMI output. If you want the camera primarily for video and want to stick with Panasonic, look for a used GH5/S, designed for video as its primary use.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostSat May 09, 2020 6:49 pm

Even before buying the ATEM mini or the Pro version, one must carefully study all the options that are available, but not at the same time !
The word mini is carefully chosen, for not to have to buy a real "big brother" that's more expensive, and does have all functions available at the same time, what is called a tv Studio version.
The Atem Mini (or Pro) is a great device, but one should read the ATEM manual before buying i guess, when i finally got mine Atem mini, i was in shock at first, to hear the announcement of the Pro version, I already had bought the Webcaster X2, which i don't regret now, also because some options are not available at the same time, but these are only minor discomforts, and i think both mini or Pro will be both very useful in different setups where needed.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Sander Vreuls

PostMon May 11, 2020 6:46 am

The GH2 still provides a great image!

The trick to getting a clean feed and the proper contrast/colours is to have the camera recording.. Just put in a 32/64GB card and you should be good for a few hours..

I still have 3 of them and I love the image.. :)

Eric-Jan

PostMon May 11, 2020 10:36 pm

Sander Vreuls wrote:The GH2 still provides a great image!

The trick to getting a clean feed and the proper contrast/colours is to have the camera recording.. Just put in a 32/64GB card and you should be good for a few hours..

I still have 3 of them and I love the image.. :)

I guess there's some misunderstanding about "clean", in this case it means, that there is no overlay of OSD graphics in the HDMI "feed" , so it is not about the image quality.
A HDMI connection wasn't meant for recording/live stream feed, when it first appeared on digital camera's, it was meant for "player mode" for connecting to a LCD tv, or connecting a "field" monitor, "on location" later on..
but now it's a advantage, (when "clean") to record externaly, cameras that record internaly, can overheat when recording at 4K or have a time limit to record in 4K, recording externaly, (like with the BMD Video Assist) allows also to record with better codecs,(if internaly only h.264 is available) streaming a live camara feed for webcasts (ATEM mini) is also an option.

morganjusa

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 8:43 pm

Same issue here.. I've been plugging a Sony HDR CX-240 directly into my Elgato Camlink via HDMI and the menus are not visible.. The second I plug the camera into the ATEM Mini Pro ISO and then the ATEM into the Camlink the camera menus are visible. Unplugged just to be sure and when I go straight from camera to Camlink no menus? Confusing.

Next I tried the usb out from the ATEM and same issue no longer have a clean HDMI out from the camera.

Eric-Jan

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 11:38 pm

HDMI does weird things, it does so called handshaking within it's connection, sometimes it also makes a difference in what order the devices are switched on, or which order connected to each other there are also putthrough dongles/adapters (HDMI to HDMI) that clone this, and emulate the characteristics of an other device that has previously been connected to it, but most of the time devices which that have nothing to do with any copyrighted material, should be working at a normal manner, no HDCP present, or HDCP will not go into protective mode.
It's also good to search through all menu settings, (of both devices) that might relate to HDMI or video in and output prefferences.
Also... if HDMI input number one (Atem Mini) is used, and this is also the input with the "fault" swap devices from this input. It could help in such a case.

RoydenBeauchamp

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 9:28 am

Hello, guys. I'm having the same issue, tried what you were saying here, but it doesn't help =(

Mskold

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 9:59 am

Yes, on the GH2, only way to get clean hdmi output is to record at the same time, unfortunately. But still, it's possible. For the Sony AX53 you have to disable CTRL FOR HDMI in the setup menu. Then you should get the clean signal. At least that worked for me on both AX43 and AX53.

robouden

PostSun May 15, 2022 12:40 pm

For the Sony FDR AX43/AX45/AX60 and an ATEM Mini Pro(ISO) you just disable the "CTRL for HDMI" in the settings. In the manual on page 224. Yes, not so easy to find out. Took me a while, too.

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk

Return to Live Production