it's time for a web-presenter V2

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Raphaël Jacquot

it's time for a web-presenter V2

PostTue May 12, 2020 11:06 am

transplant the innards of the atem mini pro and chuck them into the case of the web presenter ;-)
make it controllable via telnet like the other teranex mini devices, and you have a rather inexpensive rackable live streaming device

Xtreemtec

Re: it's time for a web-presenter V2

PostWed May 13, 2020 4:14 pm

So basically a Teranex Mini Streamer. Small LCD on the front.
12G input + XLR.
Network RTMP output.
Maybe USB-C for direct Laptop. So they can also drop the H264 mini converter..

Problem is.. that device will cost almost the same as the Whole Atem Mini Pro......... :?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 4:37 am

Xtreemtec wrote:So basically a Teranex Mini Streamer. Small LCD on the front.
12G input + XLR.
Network RTMP output.
Maybe USB-C for direct Laptop. So they can also drop the H264 mini converter..

Problem is.. that device will cost almost the same as the Whole Atem Mini Pro......... :?

indeed, but it would be rackable !

Ryan Douthit

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 5:58 am

Well, I just spent $1400 on a VidiU Go and if BM had a 1/3 Rack Encoder I would have considered it. No interest in the ATEM MINI Pro.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 9:27 pm

I'd be interested in a compact streaming encoder like this as well.

And actually, it's a little unclear why the current HyperDeck Mini hardware couldn't function like this with proper firmware. The HyperDeck Mini already shares the same H.264 encoding engine with the ATEM Mini Pro, and it also includes an Ethernet port, which is currently used for FTP transfers, but has enough bandwidth for live streaming.

It would be great to have a compact and affordable H.264 recording and streaming device with SDI inputs. And as others have mentioned, even at the same price as the ATEM Mini Pro, it would still be significantly less expensive than competing devices like the Teradek VidiU Go and Cube or the AJA HELO which are $1000 plus. These other options would probably have more extensive streaming features (wider range of protocols, better control of encoder settings, etc.), but a lot of people are probably fine with something more basic as they only ever really use RTMP anyway.

I'd also be interested in seeing a 4K version that could do H.264 encodes up to 2160p30 or 2160p60. Blackmagic already has an H.264 encoding engine capable of these resolutions in the Duplicator 4K. But that's a full rack width unit, that comes in at $2K, with a bunch of SD card slots that are fairly useless if you are mostly interested in online rather than physical distribution. I doubt too many people are actually streaming in 4K yet, but it doesn't hurt to have the option for the future, and there may be people that are shooting in 4K but streaming in HD, in which case it's helpful to have a compact solution for local 4K H.264 archiving and post-event uploading.

Return to Live Production