ATEM Mini Pro 720p/30 stream output

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

alexhath

Re: ATEM Mini Pro 720p/30 stream output

PostSat May 08, 2021 7:54 pm

+1 for 720p/30

andyless

PostSat May 22, 2021 11:19 pm

++++ 1 for the 720p option

There are several reasons why streaming directly with 720p makes sense. Be it the available bandwith on location or the service which except only 720p (in my case the service charges less for 720p which is fine for many usecases).
Sure you can build a workaround (laptop, web presenter,...) but why? Why adding additional components make the setup more complex and unreliable?
I unfortunately found out after I bought the Extreme now I need an additional laptop to stream in a lower quality, that makes absolutely no sense.
So please BMD add support for 720p streaming in 24,25,30,50,60 fps while recording in 1080p /50 Mbit for later use or replacing the stream with a high quality VoD Version.

RollerDerbyStreamingNZ

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 8:26 am

+1 for the 720p60 option
I currently stream Roller Derby at 720p60 and record and 1080p60 for upload later.
This is mostly because a lot of venues don't have good internet connections and I have to use 4G and often I barely get a connection fast enough for the 720p60 stream

DutchRCTimeKeeping

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 8:38 am

Bump-up this topic...

Please add 720p/30 as an option...

Had my first livestream this weekend, was a dissaster... at home everything work like a charm, but on location the cache filled up quickly (upload speed not suffiecient)... stuttering stream, not pleasant to look at...

pancake

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 9:41 am

I know there's a lot of demand for 720p output from the ATEM Mini's, and it would be nice for our use case as well, which is quite different from those who struggle with upload limitations. We have pretty much unlimited upload bandwidth, but we would like a smaller bandwidth (output) video to reduce latency to a minimum (for live interactions).

Did some testing with the Streaming.xml file and YouTube as a streaming-platform and came to some interesting conclusions:

Lowering the resolution in Streaming.xml drastically (leaving out all other options, basically forcing an ATEM Mini Pro to choose from 240p options only), definitely lowers the image quality. For example:
Code: Select all
<config resolution="240p" fps="30">

...with a 4000000 bitrate will give you a truly horrible image, but YouTube still reports it's 1920x1080@30fps. So yeah, something is definitely happening inside the ATEM, and the datarate is dropping, often to under 1Mb/s. YouTube will start to continuously barf about having a too low datarate, which is quite ironic.

Lowering the framerate to 24fps has no influence on the YouTube output stream. It will always be 30fps. I read somewhere that 24fps is no longer supported at YouTube.

Using YouTube's lowest latency settings and matching the output close to what YouTube expects (4.5mbps:1080p@30fps), and setting the client player to that quality results in sometimes surprisingly low latency (under two seconds). Choosing a different (lower) quality in the YouTube player usually shows a higher latency in the "Stats for nerds" (right-click the player). Could this be a "passthrough"?

Whatever I tried on an Owncast server, I could never get the latency under 8 seconds, even when in "passthrough"-mode. It shows that it's hard to compete with dedicated streaming giants, I guess ;)

So yes, I think the often-heard request for more flexibility in what resolution the ATEM Mini's output would be very welcome. For our use case, we might get people on low-bandwidth connections to see our shows with a lower latency (when YouTube would pass through highest quality 720p). I think for many livestreaming cases, 1080p is overkill. We'd rather spend the same bandwidth on a higher image quality 720p stream.

lino.totaro

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 5:16 pm

Ho avuto anche io grossi problemi con internet e non riuscendo a risolvere con Atem Mini Pro ho dovuto acquistare Lo YoloBox. Mi ha risolto tutti i problemi.
Previous

Return to Live Production