Scenario of connecting two points over the internet

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mzubac

Scenario of connecting two points over the internet

PostThu May 21, 2020 6:54 am

Hello,

I am trying to do a chroma key on two different locations.
Let's say for example that at location A a person is sitting in a green screen studio (for example in Europe)
At location B is another person sitting also in a green screen studio.
The final production and streaming is made from location B.

I would like to mix the two persons at location B and send the stream out as if they were in the same location.

Is there any solution from Blackmagic that can monitor the incoming stream from location A, so if there is a drop of internet connection or the FPS gets too low it could detect this on the stream A and trigger an event on location B (for example putting a color bar on the final stream that's going out to the viewers).

Let's say a viewer is watching the stream and at some time the person from location A disappears or starts to stutter or "freezes" etc (because of network congestion or internet connection is cut off).

treynolds75

Re: Scenario of connecting two points over the internet

PostThu May 21, 2020 9:46 pm

So everyone is finding ways of handling this these days.

I don't know that there is a single blackmagic product that does this completely. Here's how I am handling that

Person 1 - camera feeding into blackmagic mini recorder. This mini recorder is sent into a zoom meeting to give me a good quality signal in zoom. The laptop is in front of them showing a pinned speaker (person 2)
Person 2 - same set up as above but with person 1 pinned

These two people are remote to the switcher (me)

On the switching side I have 2 machines each logged in to the zoom meeting, each pinning one of the speakers. Those two displays come into my atem mini over hdmi.

Then you are just cutting a 2 camera show in the atem, add your graphics, key at your will etc. Stream that back into the zoom, rtmp server, wherever you like.

Now what I am describing has worked for me for a number of live facebook events, youtube events etc. And it should be noted that when doing this we were in a world of shelter in place in my area so our options are this, or webcams. There are many other ways to handle this, many other platforms to route your video around. There are entire broadcast networks built this way around remote productions. So take all of this with a grain of salt, very much a do what I could with the gear we already had set up, but its worked very well thus far for around 15 live shows.

And beyond that what I have been telling all of my clients how little importance the actual "live" part of it is. More like a live to tape model. So that way we can cut from the source materials and just use the live edit as a template. then we can stream that video file to youtube or wherever like its "live". Then the talent still gets to act realtime with another actor (or realtimeish) and you can tighten it up in the edit as you see fit.

AndyMcHardy

Re: Scenario of connecting two points over the internet

PostSat May 23, 2020 9:43 am

mzubac wrote:Hello,

I am trying to do a chroma key on two different locations.
Let's say for example that at location A a person is sitting in a green screen studio (for example in Europe)
At location B is another person sitting also in a green screen studio.
The final production and streaming is made from location B.

I would like to mix the two persons at location B and send the stream out as if they were in the same location.

Is there any solution from Blackmagic that can monitor the incoming stream from location A, so if there is a drop of internet connection or the FPS gets too low it could detect this on the stream A and trigger an event on location B (for example putting a color bar on the final stream that's going out to the viewers).

Let's say a viewer is watching the stream and at some time the person from location A disappears or starts to stutter or "freezes" etc (because of network congestion or internet connection is cut off).

I am not aware of any solution from Blackmagic that would be able to do that. Such monitoring/change over would normally be made by who ever is switching the show in most cases.
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

Return to Live Production