XLR mic into AEM Mini Pro?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pwnell

XLR mic into AEM Mini Pro?

PostThu May 21, 2020 9:58 pm

I have an AT2020 XLR mic currently feeding in to a Yamaha MG10 mixer, and the line out of the mixer goes into a Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen and from there the USB output goes to my Mac Pro.

I purchased an ATEM Mini Pro (still on its way) and want to know if it is possible to connect my mic via the Yamaha mixer to the ATEM Mini Pro? Can I take the line out (1/4" TRS +4dBu, 75 ohm actual source impedance, 600 ohm lines) and use a 1/4" TRS to 3.5mm TRS cable and hook it up to the ATEM Mini Pro to use Fairlight?

I want this setup to work both with video feeds as well as without (mic only).

Is this possible?

Frank Engel

Re: XLR mic into AEM Mini Pro?

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:50 pm

The line out on the mixer is a balanced mono signal, while the ATEM Mini Pro has unbalanced stereo inputs.

You would need a cable with a 3.5mm TRS connector on one end for the Mini and two 1/4" TS connectors on the other end. Use two guitar cables (1/4" TS) to connect the left and right line outs of the mixer to the two connectors on the cable I mentioned above.

That should take care of the physical connection, but you may or may not have problems with the level being put out of the mixer being too high for the ATEM.

You should be able to account for that using the master volume control if you are not feeding anything other than the ATEM, but if you need to feed two different things (such as local speakers in addition to the ATEM), and you need to use headphones, you might run into a problem with that unless you add something in between to pad the signal. If you don't need to use headphones, consider using the monitor out instead of the main line outs, as they have an independent volume control.

Note that if you are using this in conjunction with cameras, depending on the cameras, you may run into an audio sync issue, as many cameras with HDMI outputs have a delay in the signal they put out (the ATEM should not have a significant delay itself, but the outputs from the camera(s) might). The ATEM does not have the ability to compensate for the video signal being delayed while the audio signal is not.

If you run into that problem, you might need to instead run the output from the mixer into one of the cameras, and use the camera to relay the audio back to the ATEM, as the camera should delay the audio signal to match the delay in its video signal.

pwnell

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:53 pm

Thank you for the great reply, I will try those options and see what works best.

Denny Smith

PostFri May 22, 2020 5:17 pm

Yes, sending the mixer out to a camera that has a balanced line input, like the Pocket 4K would be the best option, and is what I plan to do.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

pwnell

PostFri May 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, sending the mixer out to a camera that has a balanced line input, like the Pocket 4K would be the best option, and is what I plan to do.
Cheers

I assume if you only want to use the mic and not a video feed then you can't with this configuration? Like an audio only podcast?

MambaFiber.com

PostFri May 22, 2020 5:59 pm

you can send a mono balanced input into the ATEM Mini/Pro mic/line inputs. however if you leave it as a stereo source, each leg of the balanced signal ends up being an out of phase pair and cancellation ensues, not good.

however, if you split the ATEM input into 2 mono channels, and leave one side turned off, your input will function as normal. not the "proper way" by any means but works just fine.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Denny Smith

PostSat May 23, 2020 2:33 am

:?
pwnell wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:Yes, sending the mixer out to a camera that has a balanced line input, like the Pocket 4K would be the best option, and is what I plan to do.
Cheers

I assume if you only want to use the mic and not a video feed then you can't with this configuration? Like an audio only podcast?

No, for that you need a HDMI audio inserter. The ATem Mini/Pro needs a video signal to work as a streaming device. If you just want to do an audio only podcast, get a USB mic to connect directly to your computer, download a Podcast software and have a go.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production