ATEM Mini: XML for editing later on in DR possible?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

davidzauner

ATEM Mini: XML for editing later on in DR possible?

PostWed May 27, 2020 6:42 am

Warning: Absolute newbie to live switching ;)

I'm searching for a better production/editing workflow for our cocking masterclasses an i got a tip from someone, for live switching on set. We are working with three cameras on set (2x BMPCC 4k 1x BMPCC 6k) and the problem right now is that we have to sync all three cams + external audio in post. This is just so time intense that we would really appreciate a better workflow.
A while ago i saw a video from the Atomos Shogun 7 wich can record up to 4 cams, does live switching and exports an XML wich i can fine adjust later on, in DR. The problem there is, the Atomos saves all the data to his SSD and this only, if i remember right, in 1080p. Thats not working for our productions, we need the resolution for cropping in post, especially the 6k Top-Down cam.
So is there any way of live switching on the ATEM Mini but instead of saving the data to one Drive, save it just as it would do normal to the SSD's from the BM cams?

What i mean exactly is, if I connect all three cams + external audio to the ATEM Mini but do the recording on each cam and on the audio recorder separately, would the ATEM Mini create an synced XML wich i can drag into DR and just relink all data and have a MC video track with all my live switched cuts and the synced audio from the external recorder?

This was just my thinking of how it MAYBE can work, so if anybody has experience with this kind of productions, i would really appreciate some help, but also, if this method won't work and anybody has a tip on how i could to this with a different workflow, i would also hear that.

Thanks for your time and best regards from Austria
David
Resolve Studio 18.1
Win 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 3070 (Studio driver)

Frank Engel

Re: ATEM Mini: XML for editing later on in DR possible?

PostWed May 27, 2020 8:14 am

The ATEM products (including the Mini) do not support XML/EDL export at this time.

However, there are third-party solutions for this, mentioned in past threads on the subject, for example: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66600&p=374388

Drew Lahat

PostTue Jul 26, 2022 10:53 pm

Update: The new ATEM SDI models, released July 2022, now automatically record a Resolve .drp project which perfectly logs the edits. (Of course once in Resolve you could export to Premiere or Avid instead.)
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... di/editing

I really hope they release a firmware update that adds this feature to all the ATEM switches!

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jul 27, 2022 8:16 am

Drew Lahat wrote:Update: The new ATEM SDI models, released July 2022, now automatically record a Resolve .drp project which perfectly logs the edits. (Of course once in Resolve you could export to Premiere or Avid instead.)
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... di/editing

I really hope they release a firmware update that adds this feature to all the ATEM switches!

The old Mini ISO models do this also already for 2 years ;) ;)

Be carefull the Atem SDI ( non Pro model ) does not have this feature!!!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production