Some way to export timecode from Atem Mini Pro?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tbaker

• Warnings: 1

Some way to export timecode from Atem Mini Pro?

PostFri May 29, 2020 6:45 pm

So I have an Atem mini pro and 4 BMPCC4K and am using them to livestream from my studio... But I also have other cameras and go Pro which Id like to be able to sync up as well.. I have timecode systems pulse and Ultrasync Ones as well as syncbak pro's How can I jam or output the timecode from mini pro to them or vice versa either would work

Is there a way to export timecode out of the 4k's that get the timecode from mini pro? Not the end of the world but would be great if I could accomplish this

Thanks!

Ian Morrish

Re: Some way to export timecode from Atem Mini Pro?

PostFri May 29, 2020 7:31 pm

I have a Windows application that creats an edl file of the cuts using the Atem time code.
This free version has no configuration options. It just starts a new capture when you run it on the same pc that has Atem software installed and it closes the file when you stop it.

When importing it in resolve you can specify an offset.
You can use Excel to manipulate if required.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... 29C3A8A991

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Some way to export timecode from Atem Mini Pro?

PostFri May 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Unfortunately the ATEM Mini doesn't have an LTC timecode input port. And while it is possible to manually set the initial timecode of the ATEM's built-in timecode generator via the ATEM Software or the SDK, I haven't found setting timecode this way to be accurate enough for synchronization purposes as it can take half a second or so for the timecode preset to take effect.

So that leaves a couple of options:

Option 1: Don't rely on the ATEM Mini timecode generator at all. The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and 6K can accept LTC timecode via their audio inputs, so you can use this as the timecode source along with an external timecode generator like the UltraSync One as your timecode master. In this setup, if you use the internal H.264 recording on the ATEM Mini Pro, it will not have the correct timecode, so you might need to use a separate external recorder that you can feed LTC timecode to, or manually sync the H.264 recording with in-camera recordings.

Option 2: Use the ATEM Mini timecode generator as your timecode master and extract LTC timecode from the HDMI output. While the ATEM Mini Pro does embed timecode on its HDMI output, there aren't a ton of great options for extracting timecode from an HDMI video source (in part because HDMI timecode was a bit of an add-on and not an official part of the original HDMI specs). So I think the easiest way to extract this timecode may actually involve two converters: a Mini Converter UpDownCross HD to convert from HDMI to SDI while preserving timecode and a Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI or (SDI to Audio) to extract timecode from the SDI signal and output it in LTC format.

Note that not all HDMI to SDI converters handle HDMI timecode conversion, but the UpDownCross HD claims to. And while I wish that there were more affordable SDI timecode readers or extractors than the Teranex Mini, unfortunately I'm not aware of any.

I really wish Blackmagic provided a way to sync the ATEM's internal timecode generator via one of the ATEM audio inputs, as that would make all of this a lot simpler. And this would be useful for all of the ATEM models without dedicated LTC timecode input ports, including the ATEM Television Studio HD and 4K or the ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio which may be used on larger productions where timecode usage is more common.

Return to Live Production