Does this set up look ok?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tubamans

Does this set up look ok?

PostFri May 29, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi,

I am looking to create a set up for a multi camera interface, with capabilities of both live steaming and recording. This set up is designed to be used to record a large musical ensemble for live and staged productions. The cameras I am planning to use have HDMI and SDI outputs. Ideally, I would like to be able to record the data at 4k quality, but stream at 1080p quality.

Below is a list of parts I have chosen. Please let me know if you seen any issues or things I have missed. Feel free to ask any questions for more clarification.

Thanks!

Parts:
Blackmagic Design Television Studio
Blackmagic Design Web Presenter or Blackmagic Design Ultra Studio 4k mini
Blackmagic Design Video Assist 5” 12G HDR
IKAN DV-DUAL-S750 BATTERY KIT W/ 2X NP-F750 BATTERIES + DUAL CHARGER
2 x 50ft HDMI cables
2 x 100ft 4.5G SDI Cable
3 x 1ft 12G SDI cable
2 x 6ft 12G SDI cable
1 x HDMI to HDMI mini adaptor
1 x HDMI to HDMI micro adaptor
3x IEC Power cables 5ft
1x Vented 19” Rack Shelf

Optional: ElgatoStream Deck Programmable LCD Keyboard 15 Button $214.99

ishootyou.com

Re: Does this set up look ok?

PostFri May 29, 2020 10:29 pm

50ft HDMI could be a problem!
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

MambaFiber.com

PostFri May 29, 2020 10:31 pm

well hard to say not knowing your camera choices, but a few observations anyway...

The TVS series only has a single 4k model (ATEM TVS Pro 4k-$2999), can we assume this is the one you are considering? The others are constrained to 1080.

The TVS 4k does not have a down-converted 1080 output when running in 4k mode. While the Web Presenter will accept a 4k input, the stream it delivers to your computer is only 720p, not 1080. Using the Ultra Studio 4k Mini will accept the 4k input, your streaming software of choice will be required to downres the 4k to 1080 and stream to the internet.

50ft HDMI cables are going to be a problem, unless you are using the fiber optic based type.

100ft 4.5G SDI cable-not rated for 4k you are asking for trouble here too.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Tubamans

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 5:32 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:
50ft HDMI cables are going to be a problem, unless you are using the fiber optic based type.

Thanks for your input,

For the HDMI issue, I was looking into powered HDMI range extender's over cat5e cable. Do you think this is a viable solution to extend my range for HDMI outputs?

I understand these extenders will not support 4k (at least not the ones in my budget). I realize now the best option to record in 4k is to pull the data right off the cameras, not a video feed.

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 7:22 pm

i see a lot of issues posted about extenders not working properly. i would never ever trust a solution like that, but that's me.

seems like cost would be an issue too, i have 50M (164ft) fiber HDMI cables I paid less that $50 for. No extra gizmos, power supplies, differing cable types...just plug in and go. They are rated for 4k, but I only shoot 1080.

Since the TVS only has one output beside PGM for recording, you are better off recording in-camera anyway if you want every angle for later editing.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Tubamans

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 9:21 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:seems like cost would be an issue too, i have 50M (164ft) fiber HDMI cables I paid less that $50 for. No extra gizmos, power supplies, differing cable types...just plug in and go. They are rated for 4k, but I only shoot 1080.

Thanks again, huge help. The fiber HDMI definitely does sound like the ideal solution. Do you mind sharing where you got the cable from? I'm struggling to find a lead on bulk cable for anywhere near that price. For reference, i'm operating within Canada.

Return to Live Production