long hdmi cable for atem pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

admasv

long hdmi cable for atem pro

PostSat May 30, 2020 2:34 pm

is there a succes to run long hdmi cable to control bmpc 4k
thanks

ishootyou.com

Re: long hdmi cable for atem pro

PostSat May 30, 2020 5:51 pm

Specify what you mean by "long". For standard HDMI cables everything above 10 feet might already be "too long". High-end fibre cables can work to maybe up to 30 feet.
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

vivoices

PostSat May 30, 2020 7:47 pm

I connect my Pocket 6Ks to my ATEM Mini Pro with 20m (~66feet) hybrid fiber / copper HDMI 2.1 cables.
The problem is the heat of the ATEM Mini Pro that causes the built-in converter to overheat and shut down.
I will try with 50cm extension cables to keep the heat from the optical converter.
Udo Jansen

Win 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.6.4, R9 5950X, 128 GB RAM, Quadro P4000 (8GB VRAM) 551.61 NSD, Intensity Pro 4K | Pocket6Ks FW7.9.1 | Speed Editor

Tbaker

PostSat May 30, 2020 8:16 pm

ishootyou.com wrote:Specify what you mean by "long". For standard HDMI cables everything above 10 feet might already be "too long". High-end fibre cables can work to maybe up to 30 feet.

I’ve been using fiber hdmi up to 80 ft long to control P4k from ATEM mini pro .. works fine at that length and maybe more

Denny Smith

PostSun May 31, 2020 12:31 am

I have a 20-foot fiber/copper HDMI cable on order, so will soon find out.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

whdigital

PostSun May 31, 2020 1:12 am

As soon as I receive mine I'll be testing it through a variety of HDMI Extenders via Cat5e/6 cable. With a quality HDBaseT extender you should be able to expect 4K/60 HDR10 for 100 meters and 1080p for 150 meters. I do it all the time with other HDMI signals and "displays," just not sure what the ATEM will do yet. I'll report back when I can though!

draymond

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 9:50 pm

whdigital wrote:As soon as I receive mine I'll be testing it through a variety of HDMI Extenders via Cat5e/6 cable. With a quality HDBaseT extender you should be able to expect 4K/60 HDR10 for 100 meters and 1080p for 150 meters. I do it all the time with other HDMI signals and "displays," just not sure what the ATEM will do yet. I'll report back when I can though!

Michael, did you have any luck using a Cat5e/6 HDMI Extender? I have tried connecting a couple different extenders and a couple different cameras through a cable run of about 250ft. and have not been able to get any of them to work. I would be interested if you have found a solution.

dol_mark

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 6:16 pm

Hi All

If you could let us know how you get on with CAT5 / HDMI extenders. I'm trying to assist a few people with their move online and used it as in excuse to buy the ATEM Mini ... typically where they'd like cameras is nowhere near me :-(. There seem to be some cheap extenders out there at £/€ 15 to 30 which look like they should do the job.

Darren Kelly

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 1:08 pm

I went to Amazon, and found various prices you can replace the HDMI cable with a long Cat 5. Like 50m which is 166 feet.

Canadian Store: https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=Cat+5+adapter ... nb_sb_noss

dol_mark

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 1:11 pm

@Darren Kelly - Have you tested that one?

Mark

Darren Kelly

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 1:13 pm

No, I have not. I just posted out of assistance to the group. I might order 1 set to try.

dol_mark

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Ah, sorry Darren I misunderstood and thought that you'd bought one. I'm faced with a similar list here in the Uk and wondering which one to buy to test.

Thanks, Mark

Darren Kelly

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 1:54 am

I tested a 25 foot HDMI cable. Just purchased off Amazon. No problem what so ever.

I got taken down the video over cat 5,6 and 7 path. 100-200 feet is not an issue for this technology. You need a converter at each end (camera and Atem. Plug in the Cat7 cable, and you are live and don’t have to smell your camera operators :) :) .

For those who wondered, I did not try it. I’m considering doing one camera that way, one using my 30 foot HDMI, one camera on me, and one for the computer.

I haven’t tried it yet, but Saturday AM, I want to pass HDMI through the Atomos 5. Might not work, might give me a multi view recording
Once again all this knowledge backed up at Amazon.

DBK

Rosseirc

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 6:32 am

dol_mark wrote:Hi All

If you could let us know how you get on with CAT5 / HDMI extenders. I'm trying to assist a few people with their move online and used it as in excuse to buy the ATEM Mini ... typically where they'd like cameras is nowhere near me :-(. There seem to be some cheap extenders out there at £/€ 15 to 30 which look like they should do the job.

Out where? I can't find for that price. I would need 3-4 so it's good to find good price for it.

Rosseirc

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 6:33 am

Darren Kelly wrote:I went to Amazon, and found various prices you can replace the HDMI cable with a long Cat 5. Like 50m which is 166 feet.

Canadian Store: https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=Cat+5+adapter ... nb_sb_noss

You really mean that thee do the job? you don't need a converter?

dol_mark

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 7:19 am

Rosseirc wrote:Out where? I can't find for that price. I would need 3-4 so it's good to find good price for it.

Just picking some units at random, I have no idea if these actually work, just that they look like they might;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PW-HT202P-Exte ... ref=sr_1_3

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg0 ... dp/CS16782

or from Darren earlier in the thread

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=Cat+5+adapter ... nb_sb_noss

or for $40 each maybe BM's SDI converter would do the job and give better length

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... converters

Mark

Rosseirc

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 8:08 am

dol_mark wrote:
Rosseirc wrote:Out where? I can't find for that price. I would need 3-4 so it's good to find good price for it.

Just picking some units at random, I have no idea if these actually work, just that they look like they might;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PW-HT202P-Exte ... ref=sr_1_3

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg0 ... dp/CS16782

or from Darren earlier in the thread

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=Cat+5+adapter ... nb_sb_noss

or for $40 each maybe BM's SDI converter would do the job and give better length

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... converters

Mark

It turns out that the blackmagic once are almost doubble the price for each one. so 140-150 euro for a set.

Darren Kelly

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 4:13 pm

I added these two guys in the event the passive connectors don't work.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WMG ... 3SEZ&psc=1

Everything comes tomorrow, usually around 3pm Eastern time, so I'll test it and get back to you.

have a great Saturday!

dol_mark

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 5:16 pm

Darren, please let us know how you get on with those. They're a similar price here in the UK,

I've just ordered some of the stupidly cheap passive ones from China. 6 (3 pairs) for £10 shipped by air! Would typically expect them arrive in about 2-3 weeks. If they work for 15m (spec says 30m) they'll be handy.

Now if someone can find a box with;
- 4 SDI in
- 4 video splitters giving 4x2 HDMI Through/Out
- 1 x HDMI Quad monitor out

and of course nice'n'cheap , that would sit behind the ATEM Mini nicely giving SDI input, 4 Camera monitors, Quad Option, meaning all the monitoring can be offloaded leaving the ATEM to get on with what its good at.

Mark

Darren Kelly

I regret to inform....

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Neither of the two solutions work. They are the solutions I outlined in two posts. One un powered, the other powered.

Now to be fair, The unpowered solution came with 2 RJ45 connections. To me this suggests you might need 2 cables to make it work. I don't want to waste anyones time and Amazon's easy return policy, so I won't add another.

I'm not going further than this with my testing. The 25 foot HDMI cable I used was more than enough for me and most of my work. One day I might try a 100 foot HDMI cable, or put two together.

While like many of you, I'm disappointed. Now all this gets shipped back to Amazon.

I'll keep things open and connected for the balance of the day, if someone has an idea, but I don't see this working.

dol_mark

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 7:04 pm

Thanks for letting us know Darren. It is my understanding that the two rj45 ones need both cames. I have a vague recollection about video and control being spit across them , or something like that.

Darren Kelly

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 9:26 pm

I agree with you, but I don't want to drop another $40.00, when at the end of the day, I won't need this. At 200 feet, you would need to have a talk back system, add anywhere from $500 to several thousand for that.

I've been doing nothing but testing for the past 2 weeks. 1st by creating a Multiview system for the ATM mini, then when I got the Pro, setting it up too.

One of the things on my mind right now is cameras. I'm using a Sony A7R iii, a Sony RX100 Mark 7 , a Lumix 100 and finally a 15 year old Sony HD camcorder. You know, I really like using the Camcorder. It comes with a remote so I can zoom in if I wanted.

Remember this is getting streamed on Google or Facebook. A $300-$500 camcorder from Bestbuy or Amazon is more than enough.

I know Grant would like us to use is cameras, but as I currently don't shoot for broadcast, I'm less than likely to drop thousands on a pro camera. My pro, which has $20K in lenses is my pro look.

Anyway, this week is a Edit suite rebuild. Get rid of cable I don't need, Get my monitors the way I want them, and then be able to work on marketing my streaming services.

I'm also thinking about the ISO. That would make this system completely useful for production.

Have a good one everyone. I could try one last test, and that would be to use 2 shorter internet cables to see if that solution could work. Anybody interested in seeing that test?

DBK

dol_mark

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 9:37 pm

@Darren Same here, nothing to do with #dayjob I just made the mistake of being interested in AV / Lighting and agreed to help out some non-tech friends with things like church broadcasts ... and down the rabbit hole we go :-)

So with every £/$/€ coming out of my pocket I'm trying to beg, borrow and skimp on everything I can.

Shame you're not closer to London, I have two boxes of Cat5 you could test them with :-)

If you can find time to see if the boxes work I, for one, would be interested. I have some of the single cable passive, stupidly cheap, ones on way from China.

Most of the length I need seems to be to move the cables out of peoples way. The curse of health and safety, a camera 5m away needs 20m of cable

Mark

Darren Kelly

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 12:33 am

Mark, I'll do what I can in the next few days. I could buy another long one. Like you, if I take the remote, I will need the length to keep it out of the way.

I'm Canadian from Kingston, Ontario. I earned my living for about 20 years producing video from several hundred commercials to even more how to videos. I had a company called JumpStart Guides and we sold over a million copies on How to DVD's under that brand. Even had a distributor in London.

A car crash that really ended it for me. I was hit by a tractor trailer. Broke 16 ribs, two vertebrae and a brain injury. Combined with 28 years of PTSD - x wife, and I'm doing this stuff for fun.

TTYL

Darren

Frank Engel

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 8:07 am

admasv wrote:is there a succes to run long hdmi cable to control bmpc 4k
thanks

To maintain camera control the extenders generally will not work as they are unidirectional. The HDMI <-> SDI solutions will not work either as SDI itself is unidirectional.

You need one of the fiber HDMI cables that is bidirectional (some are, some are not), and they are not cheap.

Some fairly long fiber HDMI cables have been tested as working - this was discussed in various other threads already.

geoffr

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 11:56 am

We recently tested this cable directly from a laptop to the ATEM Mini and worked fine @ 30metres.
Jaycar ... /concord-30m-4k-hdmi-2-0-amplified-cable/p/WQ7439

Cheers,
Geoff

James Harkness

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 1:39 pm

These 100ft cables work and you can still control Pocket4+6k cameras. I have 2 of them. I even used a coupler to attach them together for 200ft and it still works. Did a stream yesterday that was 1 hour long worked perfect.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HLA ... UTF8&psc=1

Darren Kelly

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 4:09 pm

I ordered one of those 100 footers yesterday. I expect it in the next few hours.

100 feet is more than enough for me.

DBK

Steve Kanefsky

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 5:57 pm

Lots of evidence that the fiber optic HDMI cables work with some cameras (like Blackmagic Pocket Cinema cameras) but it's not clear if they will work with all cameras, especially small and/or cheap ones that have mini or micro HDMI ports.

On the other hand, there are actually some fiber optic HDMI cables with built-in micro HDMI connectors (for example http://amzn.com/B07MCGJRQ4) so clearly there's nothing fundamental about micro HDMI that's incompatible with fiber cables.

I'm pretty sure it's an issue of the HDMI port not providing sufficient power to drive active cables like the fiber cables or possibly other active cables like the Monoprice Redmere cables. So it's not necessarily related to the type of HDMI connector but cameras with smaller connectors are probably more likely to have insufficient power than cameras with full-size HDMI connectors.

Note that there are adapters you can use to inject power into HDMI which might allow the fiber optic and other active cables to work with cameras that provide insufficient power. For example: http://amzn.com/B00LQT760Q

Darren Kelly

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 9:01 pm

OK, I just bought this cable as recommended by a fellow forum member

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HLA ... UTF8&psc=1

I've tested it on the following cameras. The cable is 100 feet.

Sony HDR-500, which I bought around 2009
Sony A7R iii: This is a 1 year old camera
Sony RX100 vii: This is a current model
Lumix DMC ZS100: This is about a 4 year old camera.

I tested all of them with this 100 foot cable and they all worked very well. I would have no reason NOT to recommend this HDMI cable to people using the BM ATEM Mini Pro.

At about $50 Canadian, I think this is the cheapest solution for long cable runs. There is no need to use the complications of the Cat 6/7 solution.

For the previous poster, those cables are $250 dollars each if you can find them. Why would you spend 5 times more.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Happy streaming.

DBK

dol_mark

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Thanks Darren & co, off to see if I can find an Amazon UK version.

BTW whats your go to camera out of that batch these days? I need to source two for a new setup in a church. Needless to say, budget is limited as usual.

Mark

Darren Kelly

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 1:41 am

I’d buy a nice Sony or Panasonic HD camcorder. It costs less than $350 CDN, and will allow you to zoom in and still get a nice shot. The RX 100 mark4 is great. Has a 4K chip, but it’s a little short on Zoom. The Lumix I reference above has an M4/3rds sensor and a 24-250 zoom. As the model sells for around $650 CDN, it’s a steal.

The price of the A7m3 and a video lens Will be too costly.

Hope this helps.

DBK

P.S. here is your cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DTECH-Fiber-Op ... NrPXRydWU=

James Harkness

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 3:47 am

Darren Kelly wrote:I’d buy a nice Sony or Panasonic HD camcorder. It costs less than $350 CDN, and will allow you to zoom in and still get a nice shot. The RX 100 mark4 is great. Has a 4K chip, but it’s a little short on Zoom. The Lumix I reference above has an M4/3rds sensor and a 24-250 zoom. As the model sells for around $650 CDN, it’s a steal.

The price of the A7m3 and a video lens Will be too costly.

Hope this helps.

DBK

P.S. here is your cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DTECH-Fiber-Op ... NrPXRydWU=

Im curious if that UK cable has a signal booster in it like the one that was recommended in Canada? I can definitely appreciate the roll thing that it comes with though thats for sure. Im looking at 200ft of a mess of cables right now lol I own two of the 100ft cables. Brought them in to test that both work at the same time and there wasnt a flunk with the cords or the ATEM. Both work perfectly fine at the same time. Im even using one in an SDI to HDMI converter from my Ursa Mini 4K.

dol_mark

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 7:00 am

[quote="Darren Kelly"P.S. here is your cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DTECH-Fiber-Op ... NrPXRydWU=[/quote]

Thanks, Missed that one completely last night !

dol_mark

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 3:38 pm

Just to follow up. I previously said;

I've just ordered some of the stupidly cheap passive ones from China. 6 (3 pairs) for £10 shipped by air! Would typically expect them arrive in about 2-3 weeks. If they work for 15m (spec says 30m) they'll be handy.

They just arrived. Testing with a couple of video sources on a 1m and 5m CAT5 patch cables.

On HDMI cable everything is happy.

On CAT5 extenders results are a bit random.

- One device will not show up on HDMI1 at all, but happy on all cables in HDMI ports 2-4

- One device didn't like one of the 5m patch cables in HDMI 2-4 where picture blinked on/off while OK in 1. On a different 5m patch and 1m it was happy in all 4

So they *might* work for you but depends on source and which HDMI port. Does show up that HDMI 1 isn't exactly the same as the others though.

Return to Live Production