Mic Boya by-M1DM noise with Atem Mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

rafael.saccomani

Mic Boya by-M1DM noise with Atem Mini

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 1:27 pm

Hi, i'm trying to use the mic Boya BY-M1DM with atem mini.
But i am getting a low noise "piiiiii" with the audio.
I try change the mic to line and line to mic, the audio still with this noise at both ways.

If i test this mic on mac macbook pro directly, i dont have this noise.

How to solve this?!
Mobile Software engineer
in the free time - Áudio Engineer/Musician/Composer

robertfrancis

Re: Mic Boya by-M1DM noise with Atem Mini

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 4:47 am

I'm having similar issues with multiple mics was curious if you found a solution?

tomtuks

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi!

I want to buy the Boya M1 (the single mic version), so I'm curious if you managed to solve the problem? I figure you must use the TRRS to TRS adapter because Atem Mini only accepts TRS, and you also must turn on the power on the Boya. Atem does not provide any phantom voltage or bias for lavalier type microphones, that's why Boya should work, because it has its own battery.

EDIT:

Okay, here's a follow-up. I got 2 Boya mics and I got them to work with Atem Mini, but it's not as simple as plugging them in. I must say that this is not due to a bad design, they are great affordable microphones, and they are meant to be compatible with smartphones which have TRRS jacks (4-pin jacks) for earbuds with microphones on them (pinout: Tip=left earbud, Ring1=right earbud, Ring2=ground, Sleeve=microphone. The Boya mics use only the second ring and sleeve, which basically get shorted if you plug them into a regular TRS socket. No damage to the mic or the input, though).

Simplest solution:

You can use the provided 6.35mm jack adapter and then use a 6.35 socket to 3.5mm jack adapter. If you plug that into an Atem Mini MIC port, you'll get sound in only the left channel, so you have to go to settings and split channels for MIC1 (or MIC2, depending where you plug it). Make sure to set the input as Mic Level!

More complicated way:

The alternative is to solder your own cables. I wanted to use 2 microphones in the same MIC1 input, one for each channel. I split the MIC1 in the settings, so I got 2 mono mic level channels on MIC1 + a stereo line input on MIC2. (And yes, Atem Mini can even be configured to accept 4 independent mono mic channels.) Now I had to make a 3.5mm jack to two sockets. Since I couldn't get TRRS (4-pin) sockets at my local electronics store, I decided to use the provided 6.35mm adapter and make my own adapter cable using 6.35mm sockets. I took one of those 3.5mm to RCA cables, cut off the two RCA connectors and soldered 6.35mm sockets in their place. Then I plugged the Boya's into their 6.35mm adapters that came along and then into my cable, and it worked! I've got two lavaliers going into the MIC1 input, and I've got an additional MIC2 input that I can use for 2 more lavaliers in the future.
Just make sure to split the channels into mono channels, so you don't end up having one person in the left speaker, and the other person in the right speaker! :D Also, if the Boyas are turned off, they make noise on the input.
As a side note, I find the built-in noise gate, compressor and EQ extremely useful! I don't have to carry a separate audio mixer to live streaming events.

I hope this post helps! :D

mscott891

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 11:49 am

tomtuks wrote:Hi!

I want to buy the Boya M1 (the single mic version), so I'm curious if you managed to solve the problem? I figure you must use the TRRS to TRS adapter because Atem Mini only accepts TRS, and you also must turn on the power on the Boya. Atem does not provide any phantom voltage or bias for lavalier type microphones, that's why Boya should work, because it has its own battery.

EDIT:

Okay, here's a follow-up. I got 2 Boya mics and I got them to work with Atem Mini, but it's not as simple as plugging them in. I must say that this is not due to a bad design, they are great affordable microphones, and they are meant to be compatible with smartphones which have TRRS jacks (4-pin jacks) for earbuds with microphones on them (pinout: Tip=left earbud, Ring1=right earbud, Ring2=ground, Sleeve=microphone. The Boya mics use only the second ring and sleeve, which basically get shorted if you plug them into a regular TRS socket. No damage to the mic or the input, though).

Simplest solution:

You can use the provided 6.35mm jack adapter and then use a 6.35 socket to 3.5mm jack adapter. If you plug that into an Atem Mini MIC port, you'll get sound in only the left channel, so you have to go to settings and split channels for MIC1 (or MIC2, depending where you plug it). Make sure to set the input as Mic Level!

More complicated way:

The alternative is to solder your own cables. I wanted to use 2 microphones in the same MIC1 input, one for each channel. I split the MIC1 in the settings, so I got 2 mono mic level channels on MIC1 + a stereo line input on MIC2. (And yes, Atem Mini can even be configured to accept 4 independent mono mic channels.) Now I had to make a 3.5mm jack to two sockets. Since I couldn't get TRRS (4-pin) sockets at my local electronics store, I decided to use the provided 6.35mm adapter and make my own adapter cable using 6.35mm sockets. I took one of those 3.5mm to RCA cables, cut off the two RCA connectors and soldered 6.35mm sockets in their place. Then I plugged the Boya's into their 6.35mm adapters that came along and then into my cable, and it worked! I've got two lavaliers going into the MIC1 input, and I've got an additional MIC2 input that I can use for 2 more lavaliers in the future.
Just make sure to split the channels into mono channels, so you don't end up having one person in the left speaker, and the other person in the right speaker! :D Also, if the Boyas are turned off, they make noise on the input.
As a side note, I find the built-in noise gate, compressor and EQ extremely useful! I don't have to carry a separate audio mixer to live streaming events.

I hope this post helps! :D

This solution helped me, thanks :D

Return to Live Production