Using ATEM mini with zoom.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Londonjeff

Using ATEM mini with zoom.

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 11:18 am

Love the ATM Mini - wish I'd discovered it before buying an expensive (reseller) Elgator CamLink to connect video to computer.

I'm building a studio set up for giving zoom lectures. Multiple USB cameras and microphones for different media (big monitor, whiteboard, me...)

Now i'm thinking about selling all my USB cameras and using four video cameras (each with microphone) with HDMI outputs, managing the entire set up through a ATEM Mini. Better quality and much easier switching.

Here's my question. When using Zoom I need to selet both video AND audio input, switching both between different inputs as I change cameras.

If I use the ATEM mini will all that faff go away? Can i simply select 'ATEM' as the video AND audio input to the computer/zoom. Then, as I switch inputs will this automatically switch both video & audio from one camera to the next without me doing anything else.

Entiely eparate question: I'm using a MacAir with 'Intel Irisplus graphics 1536MB & 1.7GHz quadcore intel i7'. Elgato was unsure whether this would work with their kit. Assume ATEM mini will?

Thanks for any advice.

adrianls2000

Re: Using ATEM mini with zoom.

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 1:32 am

I have been using the ATEM Mini Pro with Zoom and what you are asking is correct. Simply select the ATEM Mini/Pro in both audio and video and you will have control through the switcher.

Each input on the mini and Mini Pro have a 'AFV' button, which means 'audio follows video' so audio will come from whatever source is being sent to the program output (whichever source is showing a red light on the button).

they also have two analog mic inputs via 3.5mm jacks that you have control over as well.

Hope that helps

ronnieo

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Yes, that will work perfectly, just as you mention. You select Atem Mini as video and as audio source, and zoom will stream the video and audio that you select on the Atem Mini.

Denny Smith

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 6:19 am

Set the ATEM Mini to audio follows video, and Bob’s your Uncle. ;)
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

RSDancey

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 7:36 am

Three use cases; not sure which one you need.

1: Speaker is mic'd, you want this audio feed to always be on Zoom

In Zoom, select the BMD "webcam". On Atem Mini, route speaker's mic to the mic input and turn it "on".

1A: Speaker is mic'd but the mic runs to a camera's input; you want this audio feed to always be on Zoom

In Zoom, select the BMD "webcam". On Atem Mini, on the camera settings that match the mic, select "Audio Follows Video"; this causes the audio from one camera to remain "live" while the video is switched.

2: You want to have the audio source change so that whatever camera is live is providing the audio to Zoom

In Zoom, select the BMD "webcam". On Atem Mini, tun the audio ON for each camera; when that camera goes live, it's audio will be the audio routed to Zoom

3: You want to have a Zoom call running, route it through the Atem, and then stream the call to a service like Twitch, YouTube or Facebook

Here is how I do this on my Mac: I have a Display Port -> HDMI cable that I use to route the video and audio from my computer to the Atem Mini.

In Zoom, I set up the call normally, set the Microphone to whatever you want to use to relay audio into the Zoom call, and set the Speaker to the BMD device that appears when your HDMI cable is connected to the Atem Mini.

I'm sure there's something similar that happens if you're using a Windows machine but I've never done it.

With the Zoom session routing to the switcher you can use the Switcher's functionality to do DVE, keys, etc. You can also switch between the audio of the call (which will be on the "camera" corresponding to the HDMI output from your computer) and any other audio source you wanted to use that was connected to the switcher. The only thing I don't think you can do is have both the audio from the call and the audio from another source BOTH switched to the output at the same time (i.e. you can either hear the Zoom call, or hear other mics you have connected to the switcher, but not both)

alpsodelic

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi..THings are working OK except that in the Zoom Audio preferences (MAC OS MOjave) i have no control over the input volume of the MIC (Set to BMD). even when i uncheck "automatically adjust mic volume" it still doesn't let me adjust the volume.
Suggestions? Thanks

barrybrown

PostFri Nov 06, 2020 5:02 pm

Use the volume control buttons on the ATEM.

I'd suggest turning OFF "automatically adjust volume" in Zoom. If you're in a quiet environment and using good microphones, you may also want to set "suppress background noise" to "low". These setting will prevent Zoom and the ATEM from conflicting with each other.

bazbarrow

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 3:23 pm

Hi,

in my preview monitor I can see and here the video Im sending but on a zoom call the feed only shows the video without audio? What do I need to do...Im pulling my hair out here I seem to have tried everything and I have a key meeting later where I need to be able to share the video with audio?

Thanks
Richard

rope man

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 12:37 pm

6th Dec 2021
Zoom meeting software appears to have switched off Blackmagic There has been an upgrade of Zoom I believe and the ATEM no longer works. Any help please

John Richard

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 4:42 pm

How is the Delay in Zoom using an ATEM Mini Pro?
YouTube delay is 5-20 seconds.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 11:29 pm

JOhn : 0.5s - 1s ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 2:58 am

John Richard wrote:How is the Delay in Zoom using an ATEM Mini Pro?
YouTube delay is 5-20 seconds.
Note that the 5-20 second delay in YouTube is mostly added by YouTube, not the ATEM Mini. You would experience a similar amount of delay in YouTube when streaming from any other video encoder.

Most of the major live streaming platforms introduce some amount of delay, in part so that they can transcode the input video streams into various lower resolutions and codecs for playback on different devices. And also for video buffering purposes, so that they can reduce the chances of stuttering during playback.

With YouTube specifically, there are some 3 different latency settings for live streams that have different tradeoffs in terms of the amount of latency vs. the likelihood of playback-related buffering issues:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7444635?hl=en

John Richard

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 1:41 pm

Thanks folks the feedback on delay. The YouTube delay is substantial enough that it makes it tough to do live Q&A with the audience. We do a livestream tech training and are limited to having a person field questions via text, email instead of on camera back and forth.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 3:31 pm

rope man wrote:6th Dec 2021
Zoom meeting software appears to have switched off Blackmagic There has been an upgrade of Zoom I believe and the ATEM no longer works. Any help please
Under windows or under macOS?
Here continue to work fine.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Gilbert

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 9:26 pm

Hi -

In the case where I am playing music back from a Macbook (call this my audio/video playback machine #1, it's only function) output via the 3.5mm audio jack into the ATEM into Mic#1. This machine is also connected to the ATEM via a HDMI cable.

My Slide only machine, Macbook #2 is the Zoom session control machine for slides, In Audio setting, I have audio Mic set to BM Design but can't hear it in the Zoom session locally, on this or a third machine though I can hear it "if" I select Test Mic and then playback, then I hear it for a few seconds. The speaker on this machine can be set to BDM HDMI, or built-in speaker.

The ATEM is set on Mic#1 with ^ audio level up and AFV

I am doing as a self test without anyone else on the Zoom session, so perhaps they would hear the audio

GrandArtBallet

PostWed Dec 20, 2023 6:42 pm

Hi! There was an issue with Zoom App 5.17 and Atem 9.3.1
Zoom shows inverted colours. In other apps Atem works as it should.
Interested if someone had something like this. Helped to downgrade Zoom app to v. 5.16.6

KevinMcArtist

PostSun Dec 24, 2023 2:31 am

GrandArtBallet wrote:Hi! There was an issue with Zoom App 5.17 and Atem 9.3.1
Zoom shows inverted colours. In other apps Atem works as it should.
Interested if someone had something like this. Helped to downgrade Zoom app to v. 5.16.6

I have been having the same problems with Zoom the past few days. No problems with other apps, such as Google Meet. I'll downgrade to Zoom app v. 5.16.6

Return to Live Production