ATEM Mini Pro | Loss of Camera Control on BMPCC 6K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

isaacmdt

ATEM Mini Pro | Loss of Camera Control on BMPCC 6K

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 8:44 pm

Losing camera control of our BMPCC 6ks after plugging in an HDMI computer into the 4th input.

When we have only the cameras plugged in all camera controls functions work. (Tally, Focus, Gain, etc.)

Tried changing the Control Settings for camera inputs from Black Magic -> None on the 4th input still no luck.

We have two BMPCC 6Ks, Connected to an ATEM Mini Pro, and a Mac Mini with ProPresentor 6 for Graphics.

Thanks. :D

Denny Smith

Re: ATEM Mini Pro | Loss of Camera Control on BMPCC 6K

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 10:59 pm

You need to connect the computer to HDMI 1, then CCU control should work with thenPocket cameras on the other three. BMD made a post about this a while back
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

isaacmdt

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Awesome, Thank you. Denny
I will try that. I thought it would be a simple solution.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 12:23 am

Hello Isaac. Since this happened to me as well, I will guess that you are using a Display Port to HDMI output of the computer. For some reason the HDMI connection of the computer is causing an issue with the Pocket camera control. A workaround is to use an HDMI splitter on the computer feed. Feed the computer to the input of the splitter and take the second output to the ATEM Mini. I can't offer any more info than that but it should get you going.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Walter Sonius

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 6:51 am

What was the GPU brand of the Computer input and was indeed a displayport -> hdmi cable used?

I noticed simmilar issues like this with Intel integrated GPU displayport>hdmi connected to a AVR on which other hdmi devices lose there HDMI-CEC control abilities.

isaacmdt

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 5:54 pm

Finally got it to work. Not sure which was the actual culprit. Here are a few of the steps that got it working.

- Moved the Computer Single to Input One(1) on the ATEM Mini Pro
- Replaced the DisplayPort HDMI adapter on the computer.
- Replaced the HDMI cable.
- For safe measure, before connecting I now make sure all FPS are the same on the cameras, ATEM, and the computer. (I know the ATEM Mini does some converting but this was just to eliminate any issues.)

Now both cameras are responding and the CCUs communicate. :D

:? The new obstacle is that I might need to switch to a longer connection. But right now it seems all my research is showing that if there are any SDI or Cat5/6 Cables I lose CCU functionality. Since it's an HDMI protocol that BMD is using for the ATEM Mini Pros.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 6:37 pm

You will loose CCU control using any HDMI to SDI ir Cat 5 Adapter setup. The only current long cable connection solution is to use the new HDMI to Fiber/copper cables, that use the copper for the CCU and other data, and the fiber for the video signal. I have tested one of these cables, and they do work.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production