DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K PCI-E Audio Issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ta112233

DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K PCI-E Audio Issues

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Hello!

I tried searching a bunch for this but never found resolve. I installed a DeckLink Mini Record 4K PCI-E card into my new streaming computer, and it seems like the audio being sent in to is is all distorted and crackle-y. I am sending a signal from the PGM output of an ATEM Television Studio HD directly into the PCI-E card SDI. The audio in my streaming software coming from that input sounds very distorted and crackle-y.

Here's a link to a video of the audio issue I'm describing:
Code: Select all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soA2iGksM9A

My current driver version is 11.5.1 (the newest drivers released in May.)

I can confirm that the audio on the ATEM sounds perfectly fine through the headphone jack. And if I run the PGM out to a TV elsewhere in the building, the audio sounds perfectly fine there, too (PGM -> SDI -> BM SDI/HDMI Converter -> HDMI -> TV)

Can anyone help with this?

eddieyappa

Re: DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K PCI-E Audio Issues

PostSun Oct 25, 2020 4:41 am

Did you end up getting a solution to this? I have the exact same problem too!

Furthermore when I try to use Zoom with the same audio input, same issue as well. It's really frustrating as I don't want to have to use analogue audio

patrick1837

PostWed Oct 28, 2020 3:07 am

Dealing with this now...
Did you resolve the issue? II'm getting what sounds like harmonic distortion on the card. I am going to restart the system and swap out my DA to eliminate what might be going on. I am getting context dependent distortion on one channel.

Patrick

SaintMac

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 pm

Did you ever resolve this?

We have pretty much the same issue and also tried headphone jack and program out to a monitor and that seems ok.

Chewbucka

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 3:09 am

I've been using the DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K PCI-E card for several months using OBS for our streaming software. The audio in OBS sounded exactly like what we hear from the headphone jack of our ATEM Television HD switcher. We started utilizing Zoom in January for streaming meetings and we could select the BlackMagic DeckLink WDM source for the Zoom video and the Line In for the DeckLink Audio and everything worked great. We disabled all the auto levels and set the background noise reduction to Low and set the option for high fidelity music and stereo and the audio sounded great.

Fast forward to February 14th. Something changed around this time. We're not sure exactly what has caused the issue, but there were Windows updates, OBS updated to 26.x and possibly others. Now we are getting the same distorted audio issues described above. I've tried uninstalling Zoom, OBS, the DeckLink software, RealTek audio drivers and then re-installed them all.

I've updated Decklink to version 12.x (we were running 11.6 before). This did not resolve the issue with the audio in Zoom or in Windows. It seems like any other program besides OBS and Black Magic Express is having the audio issues. I even set the audio sample rate to 48Hz in OBS and left it active in the background which others have said you have to do to get Windows to recognize the audio from the DeckLink. In Zoom, if I select the BlackMagic DeckLink WDM for the video, I don't have to have OBS running. If I need OBS to livestream and have zoom active, I can start the virtual camera and select that as the video input for Zoom, but this still doesn't fix the audio issues.

Does anyone know what might be causing the distorted audio and has BlackMagic responded to anyone?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chewbucka

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 3:21 am

I was able to reproduce the same audio distortion on a different computer with an Ultrastudio HD mini. I took an SDI output from our ATEM television studio HD and using OBS, media express, or Adobe Premiere I get good audio. If I use zoom or any windows app and select the Line in ultrastudio input, I get the same distorted audio. I'm running the same version of the desktop video software, 12.x. I don't think it's a hardware issue with the decklink card, but rather a software issue.

David Graber

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 pm

I am also having issues with the DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K, delivering distorted audio to Zoom.
OBS Studio is working fine, but audio in Zoom is very distorted and seems to have an "echo". I track back this problem to the Windows 10 20H2 update, since then we are having these issues.

Windows Version: Pro 10 20H2
DeckLink Firmware: 12.0
Zoom Version: 5.6.1

If someone knows a bugfix, I would appreciate a lot.

Chewbucka

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 4:31 pm

While doing research on this, I came across this link which pointed me to running an application called DPC Latency Checker. Simply running that application while doing a zoom meeting, or any other app that utilizes the windows sound system, has resolved the audio issues by about 99%. I can still hear a slight pop every now and then, but it's still usable over the previously garbled sound.

https://insider.razer.com/index.php?thr ... 0h2.65808/

Hope this helps and hope that Blackmagic can put pressure on Microsoft to help fix this with a Windows patch.

rudysjazzroom

PostFri May 14, 2021 9:16 pm

Has anyone come across a fix for audio issues with the DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K PCIe Playback Cards? We have been streaming fine for months, and all of the sudden shortly after the last Windows update audio from the card is messed up. It sounds terribly distorted in OBS, and in Wirecast it cuts out every few seconds. In Wirecast it seems to cut out more when the mouse is moved, as if it no longer can multitask. However video is all good. It is just an audio issue. We have tried everything and updated everything we can think of to no avail. Weirdly, the audio works perfectly fine in Blackmagic Media Express, but in any other program that tries to use the audio from the card it doesn't work.

Our basic setup is the following:
Windows 10 running on a Dell XPS 8930 9th gen i9 9900
Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Studio HD Live Production Switcher (w/ 4 cameras all running SDI)
Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K PCIe Playback Card, 6G-SDI
Wirecast
OBS

Thanks in advance, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

rudysjazzroom

PostSat May 15, 2021 5:35 pm

In addition to the above I posted, I want to add that running audio straight into the line in on our PC (but still using video from the Decklink) works fine in all streaming software (Wirecast & OBS), which to me really seems to indicate and narrow the issue down to a problem with the Decklink card and/or some recent Windows 10 update or driver for the Decklink.

LiveVideo

PostFri Jun 04, 2021 5:49 pm

I'm having this exact problem as well. Any word from Black Magic as to why this is happening and a timeline for a fix?

LivePlay

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 4:41 pm

I have still not seen a response. I am having similar issues. We have been using a Decklink Duo 2 in one system and a decklink Quad 2 in the other. They are all running vMix. We can not ingest audio over SDI as it will distort and artifact. Our third system that runs Replay is using a Matrox card and has "no" audio issues. We have tv broadcasts coming up and we are unable to ingest audio so this is a major problem.

Return to Live Production