Facebook Live with ATEM Mini Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

JonNA9D

Facebook Live with ATEM Mini Pro

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Hi all,

We are trying to set up the ATEM MiniPro for use with automatic streaming to Facebook Live. But having a problem. The settings on Facebook seem different from the instructions in the ATEM Mini manual. The manual says to create a post for live video then go to the "connect" tab. There is no connect tab. Instead you go to the Stream Setup page where you can get your stream key.

I've done that and set it as a permanent key. I then go back into the ATEM Mini software and enter they key info into the streaming section for Facebook. I then try to go on the air but Facebook never gets the video stream. It just sits there. Also the On Air button on the ATEM MiniPro just flashes red. It never goes solid.

I'm wondering if it is a server setting. Facebook gives me a server address, but the ATEM Mini software only has "default" as an option.

Finally when this does start to work, do I need to add a new post every time I do this? I thought the whole purpose of the Mini was that you could just press the button and start streaming w/o having to involve the PC.

Looking for any help one might have.

RSDancey

Re: Facebook Live with ATEM Mini Pro

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 2:51 pm

I'm reasonably sure you'll have to add a post every time you want to stream.

Facebook is rolling out tools to schedule live video but they only work 1 week in advance. I have not personally tested this so I don't know if it will work with the ATEM Mini Pro.

https://www.facebook.com/facebookmedia/ ... e-live-api

With regard to your first question:

I don't think the server matters; I believe FB has different servers to help address latency for non-US streamers. You can look at the XML streaming file (there are links in other posts here on this forum on how to find it) and see what server is being used by the default FB profile and change it if you want.

Blinking red button seems to be consistent across the UI that "something isn't working". In this case my bet is that the ATEM is failing to connect to FB. Is your ATEM directly wired to your router, or are you trying to connect to a computer that is connected to your network? If the latter, if you can, try a direct wired ethernet connection and see if that solves the problem; if it does then you have probably identified the root cause as something to do with the routing/bridging on your computer.

Johna259

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 12:35 pm

Facebook does not allow higher than 720 untill you are leveled up, so the output from the atem at 1080 will not stream to FB. You may see a preview, but just get error messages when you try to go live. If any one knows how toovercome this, i would love to hear from you. I need to reduce the live stream to 720 on the fly, how do i do that. Purchased this Atem because it said, stream to face book. Thank you for any help

Lachlan7171

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 11:43 am

I am also having the same issue as the OP with no direct connection to Facebook live (just red blinking On Air) from the ATEM mini pro. This seems to be a separate issue from the 720p issue, since in that case it connects to Facebook but gives an error that the resolution is too high. The manual doesn't show a Facebook Live example, unfortunately. Using OBS with the ATEM mini pro as a camera input through USB works as expected, but the major reason I purchased the Pro was to be able to stream directly without using OBS.

Looking at the Internet it seems some people have been successful in connecting to Facebook live, so I suspect a setup problem on my side, possibly a firewall issue on the PC side? The ATEM Mini Pro is connected to the PC through an Ethernet cable directly. Is this the correct connection method, or should I be using a hub in between?

Sent from my H8296 using Tapatalk

agha20

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 5:09 am

I was also having a problem with the stream not seeming to reach Facebook. I found that I had to go through the setup of the ATEM Mini Pro, getting the streaming key, etc., but nothing happened until I clicked Go Live on the post then pressed the On Air key, or clicked the On Air button in the computer interface. My Facebook live stream setting is set to "End live video if stream stops", so at the end of the broadcast, pressing the Off button ends the stream and closes the post.
Regarding the 720p versus 1080p issue, I am streaming at 1080p30 with no issue. I found this article:
https://support.streamspot.com/hc/en-us ... e%20stream. This says 1920 x 1080 at 30 fps is acceptable to Facebook.
Everything works perfectly now!

DSkey

PostThu Sep 03, 2020 6:46 pm

I had same problem - I found the ATEM does stream to facebook at 1080 if you connect the network cable directly to your router. Also works by connecting to laptop and enabling 'Internet Sharing" to the port the ATEM is connected. BUT - I can't get the ATEM Switcher control software to run at the same time, I set the stream key before turning on internet sharing..... Once turn on ATEM software disconnects, but Facebook stream continues - confused!

DSkey

PostThu Sep 03, 2020 7:39 pm

Got it all working now as it should do!!

ATEM mini Pro ISO and Mac Laptop both connected into an internet switch - switch connected to the router
Hard Drive connected to the ATEM USBC

ATEM Streams 1080 to Face book, Laptop running the Control Software, records TX and ISOs the the hard drive

TonyVideo

PostThu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 pm

In Facebook I get in the error log to go to 720p, It seems to stream on the preview but will it go live?

philipt

PostSun Oct 25, 2020 4:33 pm

TonyVideo wrote:In Facebook I get in the error log to go to 720p, It seems to stream on the preview but will it go live?

Facebook will go live at the higher setting as long as you are connected to the internet and have a good strong connection.

I have changed the setting from “high” where the cache was full nearly all the time to “medium” where the cache was full only part of the time, but I had a Facebook error in the log saying “your resolution is 1080 x 1960 and 1080 x 720 was expected”. Should I drop down to the low setting in the control software? Will this reduce the resolution?

If not, how is the Facebook resolution reduced?

ArtTodesco

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 10:34 pm

I'm having a similar problem. I press the 'on air' button, it lights steady and seems to be streaming. However, I never see the video on the facebook page to which I am streaming. In this tread, it was suggested that you have to hit 'go live' before hitting the 'on air' button. I assume that 'go live' is in the facebook setup. I can't because that button is grayed out! Any idea would really be appreciated.

genegort

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 4:52 am

I have not been able to use the direct streaming with Mini Pro AT ALL - first tried it only with ethernet/router, then with USB C to computer, changed the XML file but nothing connects and the data cache fills up on ANY setting. I resorted to OSB on advice, but there is no use of the direct stream from ATEM, just OSB seeing the ATEM output. What am I doing wrong? I've been doing this all day and online with Castr tech and neither of us could configure this to work. Great switcher but streaming?!?!?!?!? help

genegort

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 3:43 pm

RESOLVED. ATEM mini pro is working fine. I have connected both my computer and AMP directly to router via ethernet and edited the streaming.xml for additional servers and all is working now. I guess the issue was from wifi connection. Now I should be able to both stream with ethernet and record using USB C and SSD drive from AMP directly and not rely on server recording of stream.

Conibon

PostFri May 14, 2021 3:05 pm

If you don't mind, can you advise on what the additional servers are?
I am sure I have set everything up correctly, but it won't "go live" for Facebook. Everything works perfectly on YouTube streaming.

JanKocbek

PostFri May 06, 2022 1:46 pm

genegort wrote:RESOLVED. ATEM mini pro is working fine. I have connected both my computer and AMP directly to router via ethernet and edited the streaming.xml for additional servers and all is working now. I guess the issue was from wifi connection. Now I should be able to both stream with ethernet and record using USB C and SSD drive from AMP directly and not rely on server recording of stream.

Wow you resolved it. So happy for you. I wish you'd share how you resolved this issues but hey, Im happy you're happy

paolo26670

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 8:35 am

Anyone can help? Same issue

Inserted the right Facebook Streaming server in the .xml (was right) but..

Red light flashing and nothing happens.

Can you suggest a solution?

Thanks in advance

Return to Live Production