Teranex Analog to SDI 4:3 to 16:9

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

craigbain

Teranex Analog to SDI 4:3 to 16:9

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 2:22 am

Is it possible in the settings to output the analog source in true 16:9. Have tried this through setup but nothing. Converts SD to HD but still 4:3 !!!

Denny Smith

Re: Teranex Analog to SDI 4:3 to 16:9

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 3:19 am

The only way to get a 16:9 image from a 4:3 SD signal, is to either crop the top and bottom off, or have a 4:3 image centered on a 16:9 screen. You can not convert the image format, without zooming in to get a 16:9 out of the 4:3 and loosing top and bottom area. I would leave the image conversion in 4:3, so you get the full resolution out of the limited SD signal.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

craigbain

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 5:02 am

Thanks for your reply Denny ...... interesting .... will see other comments?? To get around it I use a Blackmagic Up-DOwn-Cross which converts the image back to widescreen. Someone told me that the Teradex Mini Analog to SDI converter should actually do this ?????

The original image (video) is created in SD in the widescreen format and then through the Teradex Mini it is going back to 4:3. When you plug it into a BM SDI monitor (which accepts both SD & HD SDI signals ..... the picture actually is SD Widesreen ...... but when you tick the box SD to HD it goes back to 4:3. I am then plugging into an ATEM which only accepts 1080i 50hz HD signals.

Sounds a lot of gobledee gook ..... but thats the path :)

As I say ..... the Up-DOwn-Cross fixes it ..... but I hoped the mini would do the same thing ???

codedeltajames

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 8:48 am

Sounds like a bug in the SD -> HD upscaler.

If the device is correctly detecting that it's a 16:9 analog SD input and outputting in that format when converted to SDI then it should be able to upscale that to HD without "forgetting" it's actually a widescreen signal. One for BMD support I'd suggest.

Denny Smith

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Yes, if the source signal was 16:9 this would be the expected behavior. But the OP has a 4:3 SD signal he want to convert to 16:9, so the Up/Down/Cross converter would be needed or something similar.
However you do the conversion, you are going to loose some of the 4:3 image area ( top/bottom) to get a 16:9 aspect ratio. You do not need to spend the money on Tenanex converter, the Up/Down/Cross Mini HD converter should do the trick for less than $200.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Blair Christensen

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 4:46 am

Hey Craig!
Fancy bumping into you on here!

Just had a look through the latest Teranex mini manual and it looks like a setting to allow [16:9 SD] to [16:9 HD] conversion is currently non-existent on the Analog to SDI converter. So any conversion it does from SD to HD is made under the incorrect assumption that the SD signal is 4:3.

You might have to write to BM to ask them to add that feature! In the mean time it looks like you'll have to continue using your up/down/cross in the chain. Funnily enough, the only software setting available for the up/down/cross is the exact setting in question!

Blair

Return to Live Production