Basic Newbie Question - HDMI Cord

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Steve907

Basic Newbie Question - HDMI Cord

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 1:58 am

I am wondering what type of HDMI cord we need for a direct connection to the ATEM mini when the camera is over 50 feet away? I was told we needed to be "powered" to help boost the signal. I was told there is an hdmi cord that also has a USB plug that powers the signal.

Does this make sense?

How far can a camera be away from the switcher? And at what distance would I need some type of boost?

Feel free to post links to products. Much appreciated

Frank Engel

Re: Basic Newbie Question - HDMI Cord

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 4:52 pm

If you are using Pocket Cinema Camera 4K or 6K and hoping to maintain CCU/tally then your options are very limited right now and have already been discussed in several other threads.

If you do not need that then there are a variety of options on the market at different price points and capable of transmission at different ranges:

• HDMI cables with built-in signal amplifiers (many of these have an additional USB connection to power the signal amplifier)
  • repeaters that can be used at intermediate points to join HDMI cables together while boosting the signal
  • HDMI extenders that use cat5/cat6 (ethernet-type) cable in between a transmitter and receiver part
  • HDMI <-> SDI converters that use SDI cable in between (generally considered the best option for longer distances)
  • wireless extenders ($$$$)

Your other questions can only be answered based on the specific product you select as they will all vary even within a category of product.

That said, about 25-35 feet is actually considered the maximum distance for a camera to ATEM connection when using a direct HDMI connection without some kind of signal boost.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 2:38 am

If you want a single cable option (without any converters, adapters, or other hardware), your best bet is probably to use an HDMI fiber optic cable as discussed in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=111606

Tbaker

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 1:01 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:If you want a single cable option (without any converters, adapters, or other hardware), your best bet is probably to use an HDMI fiber optic cable as discussed in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=111606

yeah in my studio I have 2/50’ and 2/80’ Hdmi fiber optic type and they work great. Very supple. I have a thirty footer as well for gimbal

Not cheap though. $80_$150 each

admasv

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 12:57 am

hi tbaker
you don't mind post the brand and link

yeah in my studio I have 2/50’ and 2/80’ Hdmi fiber optic type and they work great. Very supple. I have a thirty footer as well for gimbal

Not cheap though. $80_$150 each

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 3:11 pm

We use SDI with the following for long runs. Very reliable.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... erter.html
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to Live Production