possible to trigger record on bmpcc 4k via ATEM mini macro?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

timnhoffmann

possible to trigger record on bmpcc 4k via ATEM mini macro?

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Hello,

So, it seems that the atem mini lacks the Buttons (in the control software) to start record on a connected bmpcc 4k.
Besides being annoyed about that, I thought I might be able to get around it:
It looks like the macro ops that are concerned with camera control are pretty much 1-1 mappings of the camera SDI camera control protocol (makes total sense):
For example:
Instantaneous auto focus is described as "category 0 parameter 1 of type void/bool with no data" and the recorded macro looks like this:

<Macro index="4" name="Focus" description="">
<Op id="CameraControlVoidBool" address="1" category="0" parameter="1" action="Set" values=""/>
</Macro>

There is a command to start recording in the protocol, so I tried to manufacture a macro but it seems not to work. This is what I tried (and why):

<Macro index="8" name="record" description="">
<Op id="CameraControlByte" address="1" category="10" parameter="1" action="Set" values="2, 0, 64, 0, 3"/>
</Macro>
<Macro index="9" name="stop" description="">
<Op id="CameraControlByte" address="1" category="10" parameter="1" action="Set" values="0, 0, 64, 0, 3"/>
</Macro>

And here is why:
id="CameraControlByte": This is what chaning the gain for example generates. So it is safe to assume that this op corresponds to int8 in the docs
address="1": First camera. Again recorded macros work with this address for my bmpcc 4k at input 1
category="10": this is category "media" and this category is used ba the Bluetooth camera Control example app as well
parameter="1": this is parameter "transport mode" and again this parameter is used ba the Bluetooth camera Control example app as well (focus for example would be catrgory 0 parameter 1 and that works)
action="Set": used by all the macros I recorded, so it seems to correspond to the assign value operation type
values="2, 0, 64, 0, 3": These stand for 2 = record (or 0 for preview) , 0 = speed, 64=1<<6 = disk2 active, 0 = disk1 storage medium CFast , 3 0 disk2 storage medium ? (probably usb-c)
These values are the actual values the Bluetooth camera Control example app sends to start my cam to record on the usb-disk.
Things a little foggy here though, since the docs only show 4 values (no 2nd disk media type), but the app sends and receives 5 (I tried 4 as well just to be sure),
plus both app and docs only know about values 0 (= CFast card) and 1 (= SD card) but the camera actually tells the app 3 (so this is probably the usb-c disk).
Anyway, these data packets work over Bluetooth.

So now I am wondering:
1) Do I miss something obvious?
2) Does the atem mini actively prevent this and maybe some other commands to be sent?
3) Does the camera not respond to these over hdmi?
If 1), please tell me :)
in case of 2) or 3): could it be made possible in an update?

Since it seems possible to start the camera's recording from a mini pro, I don't expect that the camera is not responding to this, unless for some weird reason the mechanism to trigger record is a different one.
Maybe someone with a mini pro and a bmpcc can record a macro that starts the camera and post the xml for that, so that one can see what camera control commands are actually generated?

kind regards,

Tim

Return to Live Production