USB Hub with ATEM Mini Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

BirdmanH54

USB Hub with ATEM Mini Pro

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 4:18 pm

I did a search, but didn't find anything like this question.

Has anyone attempted to use a USB Hub to split out the HDMI, audio, and control from the ATEM, or is that not possible? I'm not sure if that output is software controlled or if it is a normal data feed that could be split out.

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: USB Hub with ATEM Mini Pro

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 pm

Not sure that I totally understand the question.

The webcam output from the ATEM Mini Pro operates as a USB Video Class (UVC) device which sends compressed video data over USB to a computer (the host in USB terms).

USB hubs are generally connected to a USB host (the computer in this case). So you could probably use a USB hub connected to a computer and connect the ATEM Mini's USB output to a USB port on the hub. But this isn't going to get you any additional functionality; the behavior would be similar to if you connected the ATEM Mini to the computer directly.

The ATEM Mini Pro only operates in USB host mode for local recording, when writing H.264 encoded video to an attached USB disk. In order to send out uncompressed video (such as HDMI or DisplayPort video) over a USB port requires something called USB Alt Mode, which uses some of the USB data lanes to send video data (leaving the other lanes for regular USB data):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#Alt ... ifications

Support for USB Alt Mode is an optional part of the USB specification, and I don't believe the ATEM Mini supports any of the Alt Mode specs.

Andrew Martin

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 10:21 am

Doesn't work. All's you can do with a usb hub on the back of the mini pro is attach several drives to expand recording space by choosing which drive it records to.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

leonmor

PostWed May 24, 2023 1:55 pm

Hi.
If I connect the usb hub to ATEM, will disk recording and mixer control from a PC work at the same time?

codedeltajames

PostWed May 24, 2023 2:49 pm

leonmor wrote:Hi.
If I connect the usb hub to ATEM, will disk recording and mixer control from a PC work at the same time?

There have been many many posts about this - but no, it will not work due to the fundamental limitations of USB.

To have a drive and computer connected at the same time you need two separate USB connections at the Atem end - which only the Atem Mini Extreme versions have.

Return to Live Production