ATEM Mini Pro drops connection to YouTube live, cant restart

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

sredden

ATEM Mini Pro drops connection to YouTube live, cant restart

PostSun Jul 19, 2020 6:10 pm

I recently purchased an ATEM Mini Pro to use for live streaming our church services. Setup was easy and we love the device...with one exception. We configured the device to stream to YouTube live (a primary reason we bought the pro), and initially things seemed great. We ran some test streams, and things seemed fine. However, we started noticing an intermittent issue. The mini would drop connection to YouTube for no discernible reason (bandwidth seemed good, cache reading was OK). It just dropped the connection. Then, there was no way to restart it. Pushing the button on the switcher did nothing. The OFF button was illuminated and clicking the ON AIR button did nothing. Likewise, clicking the ON AIR button in software did nothing. Reloading saved settings did nothing either. The only way to get the board to respond and re-initiate the stream was to actually restart it.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Stephen

sredden

Re: ATEM Mini Pro drops connection to YouTube live, cant res

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 3:30 pm

Hey, a quick update on this problem that makes no sense to me. After some troubleshooting yesterday, I discovered that the problem is related to ProPresenter, our presentation software. So our setup is 3 cameras (2 digital camcorders and one DSLR) and a fourth input from our iMac that displays presentation graphics to an in-house projector (we simply split the HDMI from the computer to the ATEM Mini Pro and our projector). After experimenting with just cameras and no output from ProPresenter, the AMP streamed to YouTube flawlessly. However, as soon as I turned on ProPresenter, the stream crashed and couldn't restart. What's strange is it was just ProPresenter. If I switched to using Keynote, it worked just fine.

Any ideas what ProPresenter might be sending that might cause the stream to crash?

Stephen

FaithPC

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 5:05 am

This sounds very similar to a problem we are seeing with our church set-up, which I posted about this past weekend. We are streaming two cameras and a Windows 10 PC with PowerPoint to Vimeo. We also see the stream and recording drop for no apparent reason (good data rate, no cache warnings). It may be premature to say it is the same problem, but is certainly seems more than a coincidence.

gavin_p

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 12:01 am

Stephen,

This has happened to me twice in 2 weeks now. (I'm at 100% failure rate since buying this thing 3 weeks ago... :( )

During the week the test stream goes for hours without issue, then I get to Sunday morning, hit "on air" and all is well, until it isn't. The first week we were 1/2hour in to the stream, today it was 1.5hours in..

Nothing fixes it besides power cycling the AMP by unplugging it.

Have you found anything?

FYI my setup: I'm using PP6 with webcam through PP and lyric overlays. The laptop is then connected to HDMI IN4 on AMP, which is hardwired to router. When it's good I'm getting consistent 9MB/s upstream.

@BlackMagicDesign, can you help?

Gavin

Kendel

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 10:29 pm

I think I may have the same or similar problem
Both Restream and my ISP don’t see any problems.

Some weeks our church service goes fine, but about half the time the everything seems to stop working at around 40-50 minutes into the service.

I notice that the Restream monitor video skips a little. I then see the cache in my atem mini pro cache strat flashing and then at some point the stream to YouTube (and Facebook in our case) freezes up. The cache seems to recover by the percentage but it continues to flash and never gets stable again. I haven’t tried unplugging my atem yet. I’ll try that next time. I usually can completely stop the stream (I can push stop on my atem mini pro). I also have to disable all streams in Restream and then restart everything and all works fine. The issue is of course this creates a different post in Facebook etc. so not what I want to do since this confuses viewers and they leave.

I’ve tested network speed during one of these events and the internet speed is holding steady.

Need some help here!

emmettbrian

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 5:35 pm

We are having the same problem but with EasyWorship. Has anyone found a solution?

tlofft

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 8:27 pm

Just got the ATEM Mini Pro ISO and did our first livestream test this past weekend.

Very similar scenario - only 1 camera and input (through an HDMI switcher) of the presentation computer running MediaShout 7.

Stream was having ongoing issues throughout and eventually quit unexpectedly about 1 hour into the livestream (almost exactly what Kendel notes)

Is it possible the HDMI input from the switcher is at a resolution/frame rate that the ATEM is not able to process correctly? Wonder if that could be part of the issue.

-- Tim

hawkex

PostSun Oct 04, 2020 4:23 pm

I had the same problem this morning. Both the stream and recording stopped. They only solution was to restart the Mini Pro. This is the first time it's happened. I am wondering if it could be heat related? I normally leave it powered on all the time. The area was unusually warm this morning as the church has recently turned the heat on. I'm going to try to leave it powered down to see if that makes a difference.

gavin_p

PostSun Oct 04, 2020 6:20 pm

I have a case open with BMD. Nothing yet. If anyone is able to replicate it please let me know.

I did a test live stream for 7hours the other day, using all the same setup I had when it failed, and all was fine. I even pulled the network for 5-10 seconds, the cache started filling, plugged back in, and it kept going.

I don't suppose anyone had a network monitor on at the time of failure?

Brent Wallace

PostMon Oct 12, 2020 4:33 am

I think I have a similar issue with my AMPI. I had 2 cameras on input 1 and 2, 3 is empty and 4 is propresenter 6 from an iMac. My iMac has 2nd screen and 3rd screen mirrored with 2nd screen coming out of a mini display port to hdmi, then going to a HDMI splitter and then projectors. The 3rd screen is also mini display port to hdmi and into the AMPI. We are using Castr to stream to Facebook and YouTube. 28 minutes into the stream our AMPI shows ON AIR but the stream is gone. We cant use the AMPI or ATEM Software Control to turn the steam off and restart the stream. We had to unplug the AMPI, plug it back in and then get a new key for YouTube which means we have 2 live stream files for today on YouTube. Once the AMPI was restarted Facebook just continued the stream.

We have had another issue in the past that was very similar except we were recording instead of streaming. I tested everything before anyone else got there so the AMPI was on for over an hour. As soon as we were ready to start recording the AMPI had a green light beside the DISK but when I pressed the REC button nothing happened. I had to restart it again and everything worked perfect. This problem happened 2 days in a row but never again

mimicobap

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Has there been any response on this? We've had 2 drops. Running 1 camera and 1 PC with VideoPsalm on it. Seemed the cache started hitting 50+% when VideoPsalm was using a lot of resources. We are also hardwiring from the AMP to our router. Would love to hear some suggestions on this.

philipt

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 3:06 am

We had a very similar issue this past Sunday morning. We successfully streamed to Facebook the week before. Our stream was very stable. Then, this past Sunday, our stream would run for about a minute, then we would lose the stream. We retried a few times, without success. Facebook’s error indicated a failure to connect to RMTB server or service (not sure of exact message). Later, we tried a test stream to YouTube successfully.

We are running 3 cameras and an EasyWorship feed through the mini pro. Our internal EasyWorship feed is split two ways inside the church (televisions inside the church and a feed to the mini pro).

I hope it is simply a Facebook issue.

Canyons

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 6:57 am

philipt wrote:We had a very similar issue this past Sunday morning. We successfully streamed to Facebook the week before. Our stream was very stable. Then, this past Sunday, our stream would run for about a minute, then we would lose the stream.

Well that sounds familiar!

Past Sunday we had issues as well. We've had infrequent issues with Facebook, yesterday being one of those days. So I guess I have to change my mind on this, thought it was Vimeo. Vimeo support has tried hard to figure it out in the past with no success. That you had drop out at the same day tells me it was Facebook.

I had zero clue what was going on. I just kept starting and stopping that feed in the Vimeo admin panel until it behaved which was less then 2 minutes before the start of the service.

In our case Facebook stream takes place via restream on Vimeo. In additon to video cycling between the feed and a blank screen, Facebook had a feed that it said was live into the evening. Someone had to point it out to me and at that point all the Vimeo admin had been done to turn off all our feeds out to Facebook (we run 3 at the same time).

Having your data point helps me a lot, thank you for posting! :)

zonuna

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 5:21 pm

Same here .... I recently streamed Live to youtube from Atem mini pro directly for the pass week, but tonight was different, youtube cannot get a stream from Atem mini pro, all my setup is same as before, can it be because of the new firmware update which automatically installed

zonuna

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 5:07 pm

zonuna wrote:Same here .... I recently streamed Live to youtube from Atem mini pro directly for the pass week, but tonight was different, youtube cannot get a stream from Atem mini pro, all my setup is same as before, can it be because of the new firmware update which automatically installed

Finally found the solution on my Atem mini pro, I checked the connection using usb connection, to my surprised the IP address and subnet had been changed, which i cannot figure out how. changing them back to correct value makes it work again. This might not be the solution for everyone, but works for me.

Larry G

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 8:29 pm

We just had this problem, or one very similar, during our service today. Nothing has changed in our setup. For some reason today, when I ran the macro that we use during the worship parts of our service, the stream and recording both suddenly turned off. I could turn them back on by pressing the buttons but they would turn back off within a few seconds. That particular 'scene' in our service has a computer as the primary source with camera 1 in PIP. At one point when I pressed the record and on air buttons to turn them back on, I noticed the PIP On button blinked a couple of times then the recording and stream stopped again. If I turned off the PIP the stream and recording would stay up.

Later in the service I used the same macro again a couple of times and everything worked fine. Really strange. Of course it made those folks watching our live stream this morning a bit crazy as the stream stopped and started about 8 times while I was trying to figure out what was going on.

We have been using this setup for months and this is, so far, the only time this has happened.

sleeg006

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 8:09 am

Hello,

I read many stories with the same error of crashing during a livestream with the atem mini pro. I also had this problem during a stream from a town hall meeting.
I was streaming to a youtube channel and suddenly the connection with my macbook pro on which i use the software control went down and all the knobs on the atem mini pro froze and not able to use. The on air knob was still on but the stream was down.
I only could restart the atem by replugging the power plug.
It would be nice if somebody of the support team of blackmagic could reply on all the messages and hopefully come with a solution.

weapau

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 9:19 pm

I have the same issue here. We can run as many test streams as we want, and it works well. Sunday morning comes around, and we get a frozen "on air" button, the multiview reports upload, but there is no data going to Restream.

Phil999

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 8:10 pm

in general, when all works well, can a running stream be stopped and restarted?

I have not enough experience with streaming to know the exact answer. Usually, after a drop-out, I reset everything, create a new key, and start a new stream with a new name number index. Of course it would be much easier to simply press the ‘on air’ button, but that never worked. Not even once.

The recent 3 test streams all ended after only few minutes. Youtube and Restream. I thought that Restream would ‘hold’ the stream when the ATEM Mini Pro buffer is full, but that doesn’t seem to be the case?

klawman

PostMon Dec 27, 2021 4:36 pm

This past Sunday our ATEM mini-pro dropped its On-Air connection mid-service, and is the second time in a month this has happened. Before this we never had a problem with it. The mini-pro outputs directly to the our website host, who then sends it to FB. We have 3 camera inputs and one input from our ProPresenter 7 computer, which is a Mac mini that outputs from its Thunderbolt output through a UltraStudio Monitor 3G then to the ATEM. The ATEM drops out of its On-Air connection, and we cannot re-enable the On-Air connection by pressing the ON-AIR button on the ATEM switcher. The only way we can re-connect is by power cycling the ATEM, and after we do that, and then pressing the ON-AIR button, it connects just fine. I don't know if this is a hardware issue or firmware issue, or something else. I'm hoping BMD can offer some help.

rkozol@me.com

PostSat Jan 01, 2022 12:17 am

Same problem with our Christmas Sevices. We live stream every day to Youtube with no problem but the two services in the past week that were over 1hr stopped the stream at about 1hr. the on air light flashing and unable to do anything with it but power down and restart. We were recording at the same time and the recording seems to still work.

eheiger

PostWed Jan 05, 2022 6:03 pm

same issue, when cache gets to the 40's unplug the network cable, when it goes back to 1 plug it back in...it's the best workaround until blackmagic fixed this bug. Many people experience this...it's very frustrating.

billcumming

PostTue Apr 26, 2022 1:48 am

I too have an ATEM Mini Pro that stops both streaming and recording in mid-service out of the blue. You cannot restart the stream or the recording without power cycling the ATEM. This has happened in 3 of the last 5 weeks. Before that we had gone months without issue.

We have one PTZ camera, a laptop running Google Slides, and an Adfotain device running an automated pre-show slideshow. We stream to Restream.io, and from there to Facebook and YouTube.

I'm monitoring network connectivity with PingPlotter testing connections to each hop between us and Restream.io (and Facebook), and there is no dropout at the time of the failure. I monitor the cache with StreamLogger.exe from https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2020/0 ... am-logger/, which confirms that cache is at 0% at the time the stream drops. Restream.io logs show no issues up to the time of the failure.

I put a laptop cooling fan (platform with two fans directed up) under the ATEM the week of the 3rd failure, so that obviously didn't solve it.

I had ATEM Software (and firmware) v8.6.0 at the time of the failures. After the 3rd failure I updated ATEM Software to 8.6.4 (and firmware to 8.6.1). The last 4 streams this week have been without issue, but by no means do I consider us to be out of the woods.

Has anyone heard from BlackMagic about any of this?

wesleywongjh

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 2:40 am

Still happening to us too. Anyone has a work around apart from rebooting ATEM before we go live as - precaution, hoping it stabilises all the hardware with the software?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesleywongjh

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 2:40 am

Still happening to us too. Anyone has a work around apart from rebooting ATEM before we go live as - precaution, hoping it stabilises all the hardware with the software?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Live Production