Resolution limits and output detection?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Dion B

Resolution limits and output detection?

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 8:52 am

A couple of related issues I came across while testing "what else" I can use the amazing ATEM Mini Pro for.

I cannot get it to connect to a projector of any sort. I've tried several of ours at work, including one that I know can take/scale 4k/60p. In each case I get "no signal", but if I output "Camera 1 Direct", the signal from Camera 1 works fine (all the same cables, etc., and everything else to remove "dodgy cable" from the mix). Does the ATEM Mini Pro intentionally refuse to output to projectors? (maybe some sort of unexpected DRM issue?) I was hoping to use it to quickly switch between different laptops without having to fiddle around with cables.

Secondly and similarly, I have a VHS player which outputs HDMI. Any TV, monitor, projector I connect to it shows the video correctly. Using the same cables (and with short cables, and everything else to remove "dodgy cable" from the mix), I can see the ATEM output, but I cannot get the VHS player signal to appear on the ATEM. I've tried different output resolutions (720p, 1080i, 1080p... I could go lower, but I didn't try). The only thing I can't control is the frame rate, which is PAL - 50Hz, not 60Hz. In this case "Camera 1 Direct" does not get through that ATEM Mini Pro to the connected device.

Anyone tried these successfully or be able to offer a hint as to what's going on?

roadrunner

Re: Resolution limits and output detection?

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 6:43 am

I would like to know too (re the question about output to projectors). I have been told so far that it is because the ATEM Mini is outputting in the YUV color space and projectors want RGB.

If anybody knows of a device which can be placed in-line between the ATEM Mini and a projector to enable display, that would be excellent.
System 1: Dell Precision 7810, Dual Xeon 2620, 72GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Win10 pro, Resolve Studio 17.4.
System 2: Custom build Intel i7-12700K, 64GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Ubuntu 22.04, Resolve Studio 17.4.

roadrunner

Re: Resolution limits and output detection?

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 10:07 am

Following up from my previous post, we did solve the issue.

We used a Decimator MD-HX to convert the ATEM Mini's YUV output back to RGB so the projector could see it.
System 1: Dell Precision 7810, Dual Xeon 2620, 72GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Win10 pro, Resolve Studio 17.4.
System 2: Custom build Intel i7-12700K, 64GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Ubuntu 22.04, Resolve Studio 17.4.

Return to Live Production