ATEM Mini Pro "HyperDeck" quality settings

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Drew Lahat

ATEM Mini Pro "HyperDeck" quality settings

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 3:55 am

The ATEM Mini Pro has 6 presets to control the streaming&recording quality. Half of them are called "HyperDeck" (low/medium/high).

What do they actually have to do with the HyperDeck products? Those settings just happen to be the same as presets that HyperDeck happens to have?

Sure ATEM has integration functionality with HyperDeck, controlling it as a recorder or as a source... but correct me if I'm wrong, the HyperDeck can't record video from USB-C nor Ethernet... So you'd be hooking it up to the Mini Pro's HDMI Out and recording at DNX, ProRes... or H264 "HyperDeck high" - with no relation to the Mini Pro's Ethernet/USB-C quality preset choice.

Seems more like a misnomer and confusing UI choice to me. They could've equally called the "HyperDeck High" setting "Canon 5DmkII". ;)

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: ATEM Mini Pro "HyperDeck" quality settings

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 4:11 am

The ATEM Mini Pro and the HyperDeck Studio Mini share the same H.264 video encoder implementation. And so the HyperDeck low, medium, and high quality settings on the ATEM Mini Pro correspond to the same H.264 recording quality settings on the HyperDeck Studio Mini.

The HyperDeck quality presets are quite a bit higher in data rate than the streaming presets, so they are more suitable for local recording than for live streaming over the internet.

As you mentioned the HyperDeck Studio Mini only has uncompressed video input ports, and actually it can only accept input video over SDI rather than HDMI. So if you wanted to hook it up to your ATEM Mini's HDMI output, you would need an HDMI to SDI convterter. This would allow you to record in ProRes or DNxHD on the HyperDeck if you wanted to, which are higher quality than H.264 (and also more edit-friendly codecs).

If you are only interested in H.264 recording, obviously there is not much reason to do this, since the ATEM Mini can record in the same H.264 quality as the HyperDeck Mini can.

The HyperDeck Studio Mini probably makes more sense as a video player when combined with the ATEM Mini, since the HyperDeck does have an HDMI output and playback of a video can be triggered via the ATEM over the network.

Drew Lahat

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 8:18 am

Hi Dave, thanks for the exposition, I hope it'll be useful for readers.

My question was specifically to clarify the nomenclature. When I first saw the preset's name, I thought it may have to do something with a HyperDeck unit connected to your ATEM, requiring one or affecting its configuration - and thought wrong. :)

I'm looking into a workflow "streaming" from the Mini Pro into sallar's RTMP server or ffmpeg, so I can "stream" using the "HyperDick high" setting, record a 45Mbps high quality program feed, and recompress it for the actual internet live feed.

tonytang

PostSat May 01, 2021 3:29 pm

H.264 on the HyperDeck Studio Mini Bit Rate

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 10.26.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 10.26.09 AM.png (28.36 KiB) Viewed 6295 times

--
1080p60
High: 70 Mbps
Medium: 46 Mbps
Low: 22 Mbps

--
1080p50
High: 65 Mbps
Medium: 42 Mbps
Low: 20 Mbps

See p.24 of the HyperDeck manual: https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 5983610000

Return to Live Production