ATEM Mini Pro to Ultrastudio Monitor

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

stephenrhea

ATEM Mini Pro to Ultrastudio Monitor

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 4:02 am

I'm planning to use an ATEM Mini Pro to handle streaming, in-church distribution, and recording. Obviously, the ethernet, HDMI, and USB-C ports will handle that. However, I'd really like to use the HDMI output for MultiView, meaning that I'd have to use the USB-C for distro and recording. I'd prefer not to convert everything to SDI for a MultiView 4 or SmartView then back to HDMI for the Mini because I can see that getting messy quickly.

Is it possible to send the USB-C out from the Mini Pro into the Ultrastudio Monitor? It seems optimistic because I think they're looking for different types of signals, but wanted to check nonetheless. If not, is there a relatively easy way to convert the signal from the USB-C out to either HDMI or SDI?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: ATEM Mini Pro to Ultrastudio Monitor

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 8:58 pm

No, this is not possible. For many reasons. First, USB-C and Thunderbolt are not the same protocol (even though Thunderbolt 3 does use the same physical connector as USB-C. Second, both the USB-C webcam feature on the ATEM Mini and the UltraStudio Mini Monitor require being connected to a computer to work.

With that in mind, it would be possible to connect the USB-C webcam output of the ATEM Mini and the UltraStudio Mini Monitor to the same computer and use software like OBS Studio to take in the webcam video and output it to the UltraStudio device.

Alternatively, you could use the new ATEM Streaming Bridge to take the H.264 streaming output from the ATEM Mini Pro and convert it to an HDMI or SDI video output.

stephenrhea

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 2:40 am

Thanks, Dave. I figured it was a long shot.

Good call on the Streaming Bridge. We could just use the Bridge for distro and the USB-C to OBS for streaming and recording. I'll price that option out!

Andrew Martin

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 12:06 pm

Watch this space. im guessing a future feature update of the new ultra studio 3g monitor unit will support USB-C to HDMI/SDI output. Given BMD control development of both could be poss. as both MV and program output is so very much asked for, but we'll see. ???

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ben2church

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 6:10 pm

Hi Dave,

You mention using the Bridge, which is a good option, but what is the latency inside a home network (intranet)? I am hoping it wouldn't be too noticeable to the eye/ear leaving the main room and entering another where the Bridge is the feed.

Thanks,
Ben

Return to Live Production