ATEM Production Studio 4k and DHCP

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pmcdonald

ATEM Production Studio 4k and DHCP

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 9:35 pm

I'm having a devil of a time setting up the Production Studio 4k on my organisations network. The network admins require Mac addresses to exempt non-standard devices. I managed to extract a Mac address using Wireshark. So far so good..

The admins also prefer DHCP, as they assign static IP's based on Mac addresses. As far as I can tell this particular ATEM is the only device I've ever used that doesn't do DHCP, so that's an unfortunate snag. Okay, we can work around this..

IT has given me a static IP to use, now the issue is the IP and the gateway sit on different addresses (ie. let's say the IP for the ATEM on 192.168.0.100 and the gateway is 192.168.10.1). The issue here is the ATEM won't allow me to specify IP's on different ranges - it just won't allow me to save the results with what it sees as a mismatch.

Anyone know any way around this? Any config file hidden somewhere I can access and alter manually? This has been beyond frustrating - it's the last piece of the puzzle in this studio build so I'm so close to making it all work.

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: ATEM Production Studio 4k and DHCP

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 11:46 pm

The gateway has to be in the same local subnet as any other devices in that local network to be reachable. However, a subnet doesn't need to be limited to 255 IP addresses. The set of IP addresses in a subnet is determined by the subnet mask.

So if you want to use a gateway IP address of 192.168.10.1 and a device IP address of 192.168.0.100, then the subnet mask will need to be something like 255.255.0.0 in order for the gateway to be reachable from the device.

If you set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 then this would require that the first three segments of the IP address are the same (e.g. a gateway IP address of 192.168.10.1 and device IP of 192.168.100).

So you should probably check with your IT department to see what the correct subnet mask is for your local network.

pmcdonald

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 11:52 pm

Thank you kindly again Dave. I've passed that on to IT to see what they can provision. Cheers

itodorovic

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 7:57 am

pmcdonald wrote:Thank you kindly again Dave. I've passed that on to IT to see what they can provision. Cheers

Hello,

There is no need to wait for IT admins, ATEM did not allow you to save because the subnet mask was wrong, just set subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 and it will save settings and everything will work.

pmcdonald

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:55 pm

itodorovic wrote:
pmcdonald wrote:Thank you kindly again Dave. I've passed that on to IT to see what they can provision. Cheers

Hello,

There is no need to wait for IT admins, ATEM did not allow you to save because the subnet mask was wrong, just set subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 and it will save settings and everything will work.

Hi itodorvic, I came to the same solution last time I was on site (I took my addresses off a connected PTZ camera). Communication now works perfectly across the network. Thanks for drawing attention to my error!

Return to Live Production