ATEM Mini Pro ISO / Bitrate control on ISO feeds!!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ARussell

ATEM Mini Pro ISO / Bitrate control on ISO feeds!!

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 4:29 pm

Please Please Please give us bitrate control over the ISO feeds, like you do with the Program feed..!!
I love that it's adaptive and can go up to 70Mbps, HOWEVER - I am recording 1-2 hour interviews over zoom calls and I need to control the file size! The program feed is a perfect balance of quality and file size, but I REALLY need the same control over the IOS feeds.

I bought 3 of these things so I've got every finger and toe crossed that this will happen in a firmware update. :]

Great product! Thank you!!

brandonwatson

Re: ATEM Mini Pro ISO / Bitrate control on ISO feeds!!

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 7:13 pm

How did you setup your various devices to record the Zoom calls? I have the ATEM Mini Pro ISO, and I am also recording zoom calls direct from the USB-C to a SSD off the ATEM.

Let me start with - I know I am doing this wrong/likely over complicating this. My brain goes in circles when I try to figure out how to make this work correctly.

I have an external microphone for improved audio - Blue Yeti.

I have the following config with my ATEM:
* vid1 - GoPro (blue yeti direct 3.5mm line into this camera)
* vid2 - GrPro
* vid3 - Surface go (hosting the zoom call)
* vid4 - main laptop (for taking notes during the zoom call)
* HDMI out - to a 24" monitor
* RJ45 - connected to router
* mic1 - empty
* mic2 - empty

I was completely new to any of this tech 2 months ago. I need a better way for how to get the audio from the zoom call onto the recording while still using my blue yeti.

To solve for this I have the zoom call hosted on a surface go. That has the USB-C to HDMI out to the ATEM. The hosted zoom call is set to use the ATEM as the speakers, and I have the mic muted.

So that I can hear the person I am interviewing, I dial into the zoom call from my phone. I have a bluetooth earpiece for this.

I haven't figured out how to get the audio from the call to the ATEM without an echo except for having a macro to flip between which microphone is on (vid1 vs vid3). I have to remember to toggle between them so that I can do my speaking with the good microphone (i am also toggling to use vid1 as Program) to when I am "listening", in which case I toggle to vid3 as Program, and turn off mic on vid1 and turn on mic on vid3.

I would love someone to help me sort out how to use my blue yeti for all audio input, but allow my candidate to hear me on the zoom call, no matter which camera I have as Program.

Requirements:
* I must be using the USB-C out on the ATEM for recording
* I am fine with macros, but I would love to avoid macros that leave me with a gap in audio. My current setup (vid1 as Program) leaves the recording without audio from the candidate. I currently cannot turn on the vid3 mic with the vid1 mic when vid1=Program because I get the echo of my voice on both sources

BrettK

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 6:57 am

Yes Please, Please , Please give use control over the ISO bit rate.
Does anyone else agree the user should choose the Bitrate...
If so Please respond to get enough industry requests.

Now even MORE so we need this, with the release of the new 8CH ATEM ISO.
Our company has been trying to solve this workflow for ages now, We have 50+ commercial Radio with Podcast studios and automated editing and remote post production.
File size and Transfer speed is essential.
ALSO FTP transfers currently can only occur on the same subnet. Can I request that this Gateway be opened to allow FTP from a different subnet.

Thanks Brett

holla2040

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 4:57 am

Well, looking at this post date, I can guess that this remains an open request. I, too, would like to set bit rate on the ISO files. PGM file seems fine and workable, but the ISO files are ridiculously huge. Slinging around 300-500G files around is extremely time consuming. I'm looking at 45-60 minutes just to transfer from a 1T flash drive to local hard disk.

Thanks for your time. Otherwise I love my ATEM Mini Pro ISO.
-- Craig Hollabaugh
holla@solohm.com

tomfewchuk

PostMon Jun 28, 2021 3:03 pm

How is this is still not fixed, seriously.
Yes to customisable bitrates on ISO feeds, and double yes to making them user friendly buttons in the Software Control, not having to open some dumb xml file and hopefully input the right things. Geez

yonires1

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 5:15 pm

Please add this feature! OMG

All over the web everyone is getting so excited by ultra 8k images when all I want is 10mbps 1080p video!
Give us options for low res recording, please!

Would love to control the ISO file sizes! I'm shooting 8 hours a day, at least 4 cams at a time and I have to get small files for this product to make sense for me!

severt

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 9:48 pm

Shouting from the rooftop for this!!!! Its craziness to record for an hour with 3 cameras and then need to edit 200GB+ files. I am usually happy with the program feed but every once in awhile I need to correct a mistake or two in camera selection. I would do it if I were working with 4 GB files, but with 200GB files, it falls deeply into the not worth it territory.

theMonch

PostTue Feb 22, 2022 6:57 pm

Yes!!! Please add this functionality. It would be great to have the ability to set this individually for each HDMI input, but I would settle for the ability to set them all to one bitrate/standard. I also firmly believe that it would be great to have the ability to choose what individual inputs record in ISO mode. Right now I just recorded 90 mins as a test with 2 "active" HDMI inputs. One computer and one camera, and the Extreme ISO created files for the other 6 "dead" inputs that together equaled 500MB for that 90 min duration. My plan is to be recording 8-10 hr. days with this thing and that is going to add up to a lot of unnecessary "fat" taking up valuable expensive SSD space.

On another note, it wouldn't hurt to have the ability to set the resolution/frame rate on the individual outputs independent of the "native" processing set resolution of the switcher. There are a lot of HDMI recording devices that are finicky with input detection such as all of the earlier Atomos Ninjas/Blades etc. that require a HDMI scan converter to feed them what they want as a signal if the switcher inst set to a friendly output resolution natively for them.

ShanniSuissa

PostFri May 27, 2022 6:17 pm

Has this not been resolved yet? I have been using the Mini Pro ISO to record my podcasts but not to stream them yet and it's becoming impossible to deal with the file sizes.

AdamBailey

PostSun May 29, 2022 6:13 pm

ShanniSuissa wrote:Has this not been resolved yet? I have been using the Mini Pro ISO to record my podcasts but not to stream them yet and it's becoming impossible to deal with the file sizes.

From my limited understanding, more compression requires more processing power, and the processing in these ATEMs is already stretched to the max. For example on my extreme pro ISO I’ve lost the ability to draw borders around boxes because that was one of the sacrifices they had to make

Benja__

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 1:49 pm

A HUUUUUUGE +1 for me on this.

I record 2-3 hour interviews with 2 cameras. That's about 250-300GB per interview. We initially thought we could use Blackmagic cloud for exchanging files. That's not really an option now...

Seriously, it would be REALLY good to have bit rate control for the iso recordings.

forart.it

PostMon Jan 02, 2023 10:19 am

+1 from Italy too.

And allow our ISO-ATEMs to encode in h265 (dormant inside them, but which we already paid for).

Another effective approach could be to release the firmware' source code, in order to let the users community to implement what they need.

Return to Live Production