ATEM Mini Pro Streaming to Vimeo Live

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Bill Severance

ATEM Mini Pro Streaming to Vimeo Live

PostSat Sep 05, 2020 12:33 am

I have edited the Streaming.xml file to add Vimeo Live as an additional service and have successfully streamed at medium quality for several tests of up to one hour without any streaming issues. However, when ever I stop the stream from the Mini Pro, Vimeo Live continues to show the stream as being live and continues to archive black video with no audio. I have to end the event from the Vimeo live event management web page at which point the event video is published/archived for later viewing. Streaming to the same event using Livestream Studio software ends/published/archives the event as soon as streaming is stopped.

What am I missing? Are there any other configuration nodes that need to be added to the Streaming.xml file to properly end a Vimeo livestream?
Bill Severance, Technical Advisor
Lake Region Television
PEG Access Serving 11 Maine Communities

Joechap

Re: ATEM Mini Pro Streaming to Vimeo Live

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue.

CCDallasGA

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 6:48 pm

We use the ATEM Mini Pro to stream church services thru Vimeo.

I am having a similar issue: our ATEM Mini Pro will no longer stream to Vimeo when pressing the stream button, I have to log into Vimeo to start and then end the stream, no issues on the actual stream.

Have redone the XML file to no avail. It's a minor issue, but a big issue if I have a volunteer handling the streaming is not familiar with this isue.

Obviously I must be missing something as well. Thoughts??

Jim Simon

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 9:30 pm

CCDallasGA wrote:I have to log into Vimeo to start and then end the stream
In my testing, the same was true for me using both YouTube and Facebook, so this may be normal.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Canyons

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 9:55 pm

I have found there is the need to follow a specific sequence.

To start a stream start video admin screen, send the stream from AMP, then go live on vimeo.

To stop a stream, end event on video, then stop the AMP.

Not following that sequence causes issues, and causes issues with YouTube. I've not run directly to Facebook, but we do use Vimeo to restream to Facebook, and not following the above procedure will cause issues.

One other thing to note about Vimeo, there is about a 30 minutes window that the admin panel allows you to go live. If you don't Go Live in that period you have to close the window and start all over again. When last I used YouTube there was no such window, I could setup everything hours before service, watching to make sure everything was fine, and they Go Live when I needed to. Can't do that with Vimeo, once that window is past you must start over.

There are some other subtle gotchas, but some are hard to describe. One relates to network interuptions. Suffice it to say that a short network/ISP interruption will cause no issues for Vimeo, but when this happens the restream to Facebook will end. Another is restreaming multiple streams to YouTube, Youtube does not support this and jams everything into a single live stream which flips between the streams you are sending. Vimeo confirms they are required to use the YouTube API in a very specific way and it prevents sending them multiple streams. However I have sent 3 streams directly to YouTube with no issue. Thus the other platforms have issues when going through Vimeo that you will not see when going directly to them.

HTH

Return to Live Production