MacOS Big Sur - Mini Recorder

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

collingerken

MacOS Big Sur - Mini Recorder

PostSat Sep 05, 2020 1:09 am

I saw it was recommended to post this bug in this forum, so...

I was able to install Desktop Video 11.6 and run it, but it doesn't detect the mini recorder. This works fine for another Mac running Mojave. I am using a 16" MacBook running OBS.

Is this issue currently being fixed?
Thanks!

collingerken

Re: MacOS Big Sur - Mini Recorder

PostTue Sep 08, 2020 6:36 pm

Also, I have tried twice to post this in the Software Developers forum, but I think maybe the moderator keeps redirecting it to this one.

PaulGC

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 5:43 pm

Running Big Sur Beta 5 on a MBP i7 2017. After setting permissions, UltraStudio Recorder 3G is seen by the 11.6 version of the Desktop Video app. It knows when there is an HDMI 1080P 59.94 signal but does not show an output signal. Shows a camera option in Zoom but black screen.
Attachments
image002.png
image002.png (46.93 KiB) Viewed 11633 times

PaulGC

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 12:09 am

Tried multiple cameras, cables with same outcome.

Cheezerguy

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 7:00 pm

I’m having a similar issue on Big Sur. I just installed my new UltraStudio HD Mini, installed Desktop Video Setup 11.6, and updated the UltraStudio's firmware. When I have the I/O in Resolve configured for the UltraStudio, Resolve 16.2.2.012 hangs as soon as I try to play any video. When the I/O is set to none, no issues. Any ideas?

mavsfan815

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 6:07 am

Is there a fix for this?

PaulGC

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 3:28 pm

New Beta out now. Version 12. Previous was 11.6. Will test today.

PaulGC

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 6:11 pm

Works! Tried: ECAMM Live, Zoom, Media Express. Sony RX0M2.

Diedrich

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 12:08 pm

Not so lucky here. Tries both 11.6 and 12b1. The setup utility shows the Recorder 3G and the correct format as provided by the camera, but it does not show up in Quicktime. OBS “Blackmagic-Device” shows the device, but no preview.

collingerken

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Thanks for the heads up! The beta is working for me. I was running into an issue where my Mac wanted to restart to enable the driver, so the driver couldn't finish installing. The beta fixed that issue.

cyerges

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 10:44 pm

Same issues as most of you. Tried installing 12 ... my mac sees it but its a black screen. Shows up in zoom but not quicktime... just the audio is in quicktime.

studiostream

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 am

Same problem here.
Shows up but with a black screen.

Luk.TV

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 2:15 pm

I had same issue after upgrading to Big Sur. It seems to me that after the restart of the initial install of version 12 beta, you have to go back to preferences, Security & Privacy, General and allow app permissions and after another restart it worked for me.

Diedrich

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Luk.TV wrote:I had same issue after upgrading to Big Sur. It seems to me that after the restart of the initial install of version 12 beta, you have to go back to preferences, Security & Privacy, General and allow app permissions and after another restart it worked for me.

YES! This worked for me, too! *facepalm*

EAMoore

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 4:18 pm

MY SOLUTION - UltraStudio Recorder 3G and Big Sur

Hello all. I had Desktop Video 11.7 installed on Catalina and then upgraded to Big Sur. I experienced the same issue as everyone else. The recorder was recognized, but all I saw was a black screen in OBS. I tried installing 12.0b1 and got the same thing. I completely uninstalled several times and reinstalled, but it was still the same.

Then I noticed that the uninstall left 3 kernal extensions on my system:
Blackmagic_Multibridge_Driver.kext
BlackmagicIO.kext
BlackmagicUsbIO.kext

So, I thought about getting rid of those. To do that, you have to boot into recovery mode, disable SIP, force delete the kernal extensions, then reenable SIP. Once I did all of this and then installed 12.0b1, it WORKED! Desktop Video recognizes the recorder and the picture displays correctly in OBS, using either SDI of HDMI.

Here were the steps I took:
1. Uninstall Video Desktop using the uninstall program.
2. Boot into Recovery Mode (command-r)
3. Open Terminal to disable SIP: At the prompt enter this command: csrutil disable
4. You will get a message that SIP has been disabled.
5. Then enter reboot.
6. Once you reboot, open Terminal and force delete the kernal extensions. In my case, the commands looked like this for the three extensions:
sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/Blackmagic_Multibridge_Driver.kext
sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext
sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/BlackmagicUsbIO.kext
7. After deleting the extensions, I rebooted in Recovery Mode (command-r)
8. Open Terminal to enable SIP: At the prompt enter this command: csrutil enable
9. Then enter reboot.
9. Once rebooted, install Video Desktop. I used the Beta, 12.0b1
10. If Desktop Video then says "No Desktop Device Detected" you have to go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General and the select "App Store and identified developers” and then “Allow” Blackmagic Design in the pop-up window. You might have to restart after that.

It worked for me, which made me think the leftover kernal extensions were the problem going from Catalina to Big Sur. I hope it works for you. I am glad to be back up and running with my 3G under Big Sur!

didmedidme

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 8:32 am

EAMoore wrote:MY SOLUTION - UltraStudio Recorder 3G and Big Sur

Hello all. I had Desktop Video 11.7 installed on Catalina and then upgraded to Big Sur. I experienced the same issue as everyone else. The recorder was recognized, but all I saw was a black screen in OBS. I tried installing 12.0b1 and got the same thing. I completely uninstalled several times and reinstalled, but it was still the same.

BlackmagicIO.kext
BlackmagicUsbIO.kext

So, I thought about getting rid of those. To do that, you have to boot into recovery mode, disable SIP, force delete the kernal extensions, then reenable SIP. Once I did all of this and then installed 12.0b1, it WORKED! Desktop Video recognizes the recorder and the picture displays correctly in OBS, using either SDI of HDMI.

3. Open Terminal to disable SIP: At the prompt enter this command: csrutil disable
5. Then enter reboot.
6. Once you reboot, open Terminal and force delete the kernal extensions. In my case, the commands looked like this for the three extensions:
sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/Blackmagic_Multibridge_Driver.kext
8. Open Terminal to enable SIP: At the prompt enter this command: csrutil enable
9. Then enter reboot.
10. If Desktop Video then says "No Desktop Device Detected" you have to go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General and the select "App Store and identified developers” and then “Allow” Blackmagic Design in the pop-up window. You might have to restart after that.

It worked for me, which made me think the leftover kernal extensions were the problem going from Catalina to Big Sur. I hope it works for you. I am glad to be back up and running with my 3G under Big Sur!

Thank you, i did every point - but dont work with mac mini M1 + big sur

joepvanthoff

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 7:47 am

BlackmagicIO.kext
BlackmagicUsbIO.kext

5. Then enter reboot.
9. Then enter reboot.

Thank you, this solution worked for me!
Macbook Pro i9

danflanders

PostThu May 20, 2021 2:56 pm

BlackmagicIO.kext
BlackmagicUsbIO.kext

5. Then enter reboot.
9. Then enter reboot.

You sir, are a genius. Literally saved my bacon on a live job right now. May the Gods rain much luck and fortune onto you and your family.

ebushiii

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 4:21 pm

I have been having the hardest time figuring out a solution to the point I had to roll back to Catalina to get my lives working.
Thank you so much for this. I'm going to have a friend try it first before spending the countless hours trying it on my machine again.

ronhip

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 7:42 am

I also went through the Big Sur upgrade agony of uninstalling, turning off security with csrutil, etc, all to no avail. I was running on a rather old intel MacBook Pro, and nothing I did would make it see the Mini Recorder in Desktop Video or Wirecast.

What actually worked was simply uninstalling Desktop Video 12.1, and downgrading to Desktop Video 11.7.

Talk about Blackmagic! I guess that the 12.1 version was designed to work with the newer M1 Macs, because it certainly does not work with older intel-based machines. Would have been nice to know before I wasted the hour or two troubleshooting!

Count Dooku

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 2:15 am

Reverting to 11.7 also worked for me on an Intel MacPro. Holy hell.

jan_berlin

PostThu Feb 03, 2022 11:02 am

There is no still other solution available..? I am on 12.2 and the latest driver (12.2.2) does still not work (extension is not loaded at all). Disabling SIP, enabling SIP, install, unsitall... all without success :cry:

Using DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G.
Last edited by jan_berlin on Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph Villegas

PostThu Feb 03, 2022 12:52 pm

Some people is mixing the devices.

Ultrastudio "Mini" recorder (thunderbolt 2) is not the same, and it is not compatible with the same computer processors (M1 or intel) as the Ultrastudio Recorder "3G" (thunderbolt 3)

Plz check your compatibility below

The following products are supported on Mac OS Big Sur and Monterey:

M1 and Intel Macs:

DeckLink Duo 2
DeckLink Quad 2
DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder
DeckLink 8K Pro
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
DeckLink Micro Recorder
DeckLink SDI Micro
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
DeckLink Mini Recorder