Gray screen / ATEM Mini not recognized by Zoom

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

gregbennick

Gray screen / ATEM Mini not recognized by Zoom

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi...I am a new ATEM Mini owner as of yesterday so please forgive if this is a duplicate topic.

I've set up the ATEM mini according to instructions, and have three cameras going into the Mini via HDMI. Then USB-c output to my MacBook Pro. Then I open Zoom. (I am also a new Zoom user as well). The USB-c cable is new as of yesterday.

Sometimes, Zoom doesn't see the Mini, even when I try to select it under preferences and video settings. Zoom only gives me the option to use my FaceTime camera.

When I quit, restart the computer, unplug everything and plug it all back in, sometimes the Zoom is recognized when I am starting a new meeting and I can switch between cameras using the Mini. But if I end the meeting and restart a new meeting, I only get a gray screen and the Mini is not recognized and I can't get any video.

I'm an experienced enough Mac user to know that trying a new cable is important and I will go buy a new one, but something tells me there's another issue going on. Has anyone else seen total inconsistency like this, and what did you do to help it?

I have a really important presentation to give on Tuesday so I am in a crunch to figure it out.

Thank you!

Visualstudio

Re: Gray screen / ATEM Mini not recognized by Zoom

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Hello Greg, I have the same problem: Atem mini show me a grey screen on zoom, wirecast, photoboot, OBS...
Have you solved the problem somehow? I changed the usb cable, reboot the mac plenty of times but nothing seems working properly... :roll:

ianw01

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 6:46 pm

I have seen this too. Power cycling the ATEM Mini seems to solve it. But it is definitely an issue that needs to be resolved.

ianw01

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 6:49 pm

Some other details i should have mentioned: I have seen this with Windows and Zoom. The HDMI output is fine - just the USB webcam feed is grey.

Kleptoctopus

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 6:16 pm

I would like to third this motion. I have the same issue. At first I thought maybe it was OBS, but then Zoom could not receive any video input (although it did receive sound from the ATEM Mini). I suspect it is something to do with Blackmagic. I've had nothing but inconsistent results from the ATEM Mini unfortunately. I would love to hear some feedback from someone at Blackmagic.

Charlie Talbot

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 8:30 am

I have exactly the same issue. New ATEM set up on Saturday. Mostly fine and certainly HDMI MV output fine. Sometimes in Zoom or OBS just a grey screen appears when the BM is selected, faffing with power cycling and pulling out and replacing cables (and yes I did try a different cable) solve it but not reliably. I had to give up on a client Zoom yesterday and just use laptop - clearly this isn't tenable as a recurring issue. Help please?

fiddledude

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 2:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to add my voice to this issue. Zoom recognizes my ATEM Mini as an audio input but not as a video input. I'm on a 2019 Macbook Pro (OS 10.14.6). Camera, Blackmagic, and Zoom software all up to date. After a series of restarts and plugging / replugging, eventually it is recognized, although I haven't found the magic series of these events for consistency. I feel that it wasn't this bad until recently - previously Zoom would regularly recognize the Mini upon opening, but now that never seems to happen.

In my case, Facetime also doesn't see the Blackmagic video, so it doesn't appear to be isolated to Zoom, but rather the recognition of the Blackmagic USB output by the computer.

Blackmagic, I hope this issue can be addressed. My online teaching workflow has been greatly impacted.

Thank you

caroline2020

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 11:31 pm

I believe I have a similar problem. I have my Macbook connected to the ATEM mini through HDMI. Then connected to zoom. I used this setup with no problem for a 4 day event a few months ago.

Now, when I set everything up, I get a blank screen. I fixed it temporarily in General -> Settings -> Set video standard to .... I changed from 24fps to 29.97 fps. I was so relieved to have it working again! But then the next day.... back to nothing. Blank screen.

Does this seem to be y'all's problem too? Any updates on a solution? Of course, I've tried the usual updating, unplugging, etc.

davewild

PostThu May 06, 2021 9:40 am

I had this today. When Zoom first started, I saw the Atem mixer output in Zoom, but was lost shortly after adjusting something. It was consistent on Zoom on my Windows 10 laptop and also my Mac running Big Sur. I got either a grey or black screen when using Atem mini extreme over USB.

I have not used the mixer much, but on all previous occasions I had real video cameras plugged in (e.g. Canon C100 to HDMI in 1). On this occasion I had no video sources connected but I had the in-built media player selected (with a graphic). I could fix the issue simply by plugging in my video camera to HDMI input 1 and selecting it on the mixer (then restarting Zoom, I think). I could reproduce the grey/black screen by unplugging the video camera. So perhaps there is some sync / video timing issue within the Atem? Noting my camera was outputting the same video format as that selected in the Atem mixer setup as the mixer's native resolution (1080p25 in my case).

Return to Live Production