Compatibility with Big Sur (MacOS 11)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

seandoesit

Compatibility with Big Sur (MacOS 11)

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 9:23 pm

Help! I recently replaced the UltraStudio Mini Recorder (Thunderbolt 2) with the new Recorder 3G (Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C) version. I have also installed the Desktop Video 11.6 software (latest as of this writing). However, the kext/driver supplied by BlackMagic doesn't seem to be compatible with the new MacOS 11 Big Sur operating system. Any estimate on how soon this will be fixed? Or, is there anything else I might have overlooked for why it's not detected in software such as Zoom and Skype — or the BlackMagic System Preference panel app itself. System Profiler does detect it under Thunderbolt, so the system sees the hardware and identifies it correctly, but doesn't seem to know how to use it.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 5.22.45 PM.png
BlackMagic Preference Pane
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 5.22.45 PM.png (119.9 KiB) Viewed 118315 times
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 5.22.28 PM.png
System Profiler
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 5.22.28 PM.png (84.03 KiB) Viewed 118315 times

Luk.TV

Ultra Studio Mini Recorder Video Device Not Detected

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi Im a live streamer & Ive just updated my 2019 MacBook pro to Big Sur and my Ultra Studio Mini Recorder is no longer detected in the app?!

Ive updated the desktop software to latest version 12.0 and even though the power light shows up in the Ultrastudio Mini recorder, it is not showing up in the Desktop Video Setup. It was working perfectly before I done this update.

Can anyone please help to resolve this issue?

Kind Regards
Luke

Kai von Ahlefeld

Re: Compatibility with Big Sur (MacOS 11)

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 8:53 am

I have the same problem.
uberraum
Kai v. Ahlefeld
Paris · France

Mark Foster

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 7:25 pm

now there is a destop video 11.7 for bug shure
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Ryan_ISOUND

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 12:04 am

I am having the same problem. Tried to use Desktop Video 12.0 Beta first and that wound't work. Then uninstalled and tried 11.7 as I have an MBpro 13" 2017 with 4 TB3 ports that has Intel in it and saw that 12.0 looked to be more for the M1 processors. I have also tried plugging up a TB2 version with a TB2->TB3 apple converter and it isn't recognized either through the Black Magic software. Lastly, installed BM Desktop Video 11.7 on Catalina (10.15.3) and both recorders work accordingly. So, I'm thinking there is a permission issue somewhere in Big Sur, but I can't find it anywhere.... help!

nimerz

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 9:25 pm

I'm still having the same issue and have tried all the above mentioned and still no luck. Hoping there is a fix coming for this soon.

tolgaatesel

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:04 pm

same here :(

it's a very dissappointing. my ultrastudio mini recorder doesn't work on macOS Big Sur. I tried several methods but doesn't successed. pretty sure this is a software issue.

hey BlackMagic please update your software immediately.

EAMoore

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 9:46 pm

MY SOLUTION - UltraStudio Recorder 3G and Big Sur

Hello all. I had Desktop Video 11.7 installed on Catalina and then upgraded to Big Sur. I experienced the same issue as everyone else. The recorder was recognized, but all I saw was a black screen in OBS. I tried installing 12.0b1 and got the same thing. I completely uninstalled several times and reinstalled, but it was still the same.

Then I noticed that the uninstall left 3 kernal extensions on my system:
Blackmagic_Multibridge_Driver.kext
BlackmagicIO.kext
BlackmagicUsbIO.kext

So, I thought about getting rid of those. To do that, you have to boot into recovery mode, disable SIP, force delete the kernal extensions, then reenable SIP. Once I did all of this and then installed 12.0b1, it WORKED! Desktop Video recognizes the recorder and the picture displays correctly in OBS, using either SDI of HDMI.

Here were the steps I took:
1. Uninstall Video Desktop using the uninstall program.
2. Boot into Recovery Mode (command-r)
3. Open Terminal to disable SIP: At the prompt enter this command: csrutil disable
4. You will get a message that SIP has been disabled.
5. Then enter reboot.
6. Once you reboot, open Terminal and force delete the kernal extensions. In my case, the commands looked like this for the three extensions:
sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/Blackmagic_Multibridge_Driver.kext
sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext
sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/BlackmagicUsbIO.kext
7. After deleting the extensions, I rebooted in Recovery Mode (command-r)
8. Open Terminal to enable SIP: At the prompt enter this command: csrutil enable
9. Then enter reboot.
9. Once rebooted, install Video Desktop. I used the Beta, 12.0b1
10. If Desktop Video then says "No Desktop Device Detected" you have to go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General and the select "App Store and identified developers” and then “Allow” Blackmagic Design in the pop-up window. You might have to restart after that.

It worked for me, which made me think the leftover kernal extensions were the problem going from Catalina to Big Sur. I hope it works for you. I am glad to be back up and running with my 3G under Big Sur!

tolgaatesel

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 11:33 am

Thank you for your guidance. but I have done these 3 times or so, even if I see the card on the "system report" screen, Blackmagic applications cannot identify the card in any way. hence Wirecast Pro never sees the card either.

tolgaatesel

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 12:00 pm

the problem still continues. Any return from the technical team? I wonder if they are reading here

opaulzen

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Same here :(

MBP with M1 chip that never saw any BM software before. Allowed reduced security and handling of extensions in the Startup Options menu. Installed Desktop Video 12.0b1 and allowed "App Store and identified developers" in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General. Rebooted. System report shows the UltraStudio Mini connected via Thunderbolt but no device is detected by Desktop Video Setup.

I actually redid the whole procedure after deinstallation and removal of entries in the kext_policy table via sqlite3 while booted into options/recovery mode. Still no luck.

Anything else I should try out before I have to look into other products?

Thanks a lot,
Oliver
Attachments
Screenshot at Dec 13 13-11-10.png
Screenshot at Dec 13 13-11-10.png (78.85 KiB) Viewed 117193 times

shamer

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 11:30 pm

Yeah, thought this terminal commands route was a long shot given how he was coming from a previous non-M1 Mac and Catalina... but this didn't work for me either.

On my 13" M1 MBP I have tried every possible option to get Desktop Video to recognize my UltraStudio TB2 Mini Monitor device except the DFU mode - and that's only because I do not have another Mac with USB-C on it. This includes multiple install/uninstall procedures after each of the following:

1) An initial installation on Big Sur 11.0.0 after a migration from a Time Machine backup.

2) A wipe and reinstall of the OS which was now 11.0.1

3) An update of the OS to 11.1 (Beta, latest build)

4) A wipe and reinstall of the OS back to 11.0.1 with nothing else installed first and no other device attached except the charger that came with it. I even used the Startup Security Utility before downloading the Desktop Video 12 beta installer. After that failed to work, I ran the uninstaller and tried the method above with disabling SIP and deleting extensions through terminal.

No combination of OS and security preference changes or even selecting "Allow" and "Restart" in different orders has resulted in Blackmagic Desktop Video recognizing the UltraStudio device on my M1 MacBook Pro despite it showing up in the system profiler every single time.

I'd really like to see a video of the BMD engineers getting this to work... pictures, or it didn't happen, lol!

The only possible thing I can think of it being is the fact that this TB2 Mini Monitor is no longer supported but the manual only says that going from TB2 to TB3 is not supported - not the other way around. It'd be great for my sanity to know if BMD TB2 devices are simply not supported anymore but I see so many people having the same problems with the UltraStudio Monitor 3G that I'm loathe to run out and order one of those. I only require a way to monitor output on an SDI grading device, I don't need anything more than a simple Thunderbolt/USB-C to SDI solution... so getting this to work ASAP would be nice!
--
2020 M1 MacBook Pro | I7 Desktop PC
Production/Post Production Professional since 1994

BernhardS

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 4:15 pm

I have the same Big Sur Thunderbolt problem with UltraStudio 4k Mini. Desktop Video Setup Version 12.0 and Big Sur Version 11.1 on an Intel MacBook Pro.
UltraStudio 4K Mini is visible in the System Information as attached (hopefully), but Desktop Video Setup shows no device. In parallel I checked the Marshall VAC-23SHU3 which has the same problem. The only advantage there is, that they have a "fall back" USB 2.0 mode, which allows to use the device, but with reduced bandwidth.
The first of both who solves the problem will not get back his device!

BernhardS

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Update to my last post:
Now it works!!!!!!!
What have I done: All SW/FW version you see in my last post. Now I entered "System Setting" (Sorry for wrong wording, I have to translate it from German to English). First tab "General". There I saw a message, something like "Shall Blackmagic be allowed to change system settings" Text may be different, because later this message did not display a second time. I said Yes. Then came Reboot. And then the UltraStudio 4k Mini worked...

Ryan_ISOUND

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 5:36 pm

Update to my original post:

I updated to Big Sur 11.1 and after doing so, I went back to security and privacy in system pref. and saw there it was awaiting my approval for Black Magic under the general tab (wasn't there before). Once I unlocked and approved, everything works now!

tolgaatesel

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 8:11 am

I installed big sur 11.1
and desktop Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_12.0b1.dmg

no f**king difference here. :oops:

device has connected
https://imgur.com/aV0OD1A

also drivers has installed
https://imgur.com/LnaH018

no device detected on desktop video app
https://imgur.com/E8dRgZC

blackmagic engineer team, please help here :!:

nimerz

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 pm

So I was experiencing all the same issues and after updating to Big Sur 11.1, Ultrastudio 3G now shows up and everything is working fine.

lagunak47

OBS no image Ultrastudio 4k Mini

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 6:06 pm

Hey all,

Updated our macbook pro to OS Big Sur as well as the latest version of OBS. Am not getting an image into obs (just black) no matter the setting. Worked fine before updating. Also our web presenter is working fine. OBS and Wirecast both SEE the Ultrastudio however the image is black, any ideas?

Raphaël Jacquot

Re: OBS no image Ultrastudio 4k Mini

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 8:55 am

you need to remove the bmd kext modules, and reinstall the latest software. the kext are not loaded by big sur anymore

Craig Seeman

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 6:12 am

Uninstall your BMD driver and then update to 11.7.
After doing that, check-in Media Express.

rcctechteam

Re: Ultra Studio Mini Recorder Video Device Not Detected

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Having the same issue and tech support does not have any direction other than uninstall beta and reinstall 11.7 which did not work. Have you been able to resolve this? looking for help also

mkpoppie

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 1:04 am

I'm operating Big Sur 11.1 on a Mac Mini with Intel and a USB 3 Intensity Shuttle. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 10-15 times both the 11.7 and 12 beta version of the Desktop Video Setup. I keep getting the No Desktop Video Device Detected.
The Intensity Shuttle is showing up in the System Report.
I'm surprised/shocked that Blackmagic is not addressing this here on the boards.

rcctechteam

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 7:09 pm

Updated to Big Sur and the same issue, OBS sees the Ultra Studio Recorder 3g but no image. I also tried Vimeo's livestream studio and the same thing, it sees the device but no image, BM Support has heard the issue but no fixes yet?

Mark Switzer

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 11:55 pm

OK. I just got this to work. I am on a 2017 iMac Pro and just installed Mac OS 11.1 Big Sur. It broke the BM Desktop Video function in System Settings. I spent the last 2 hours looking through forums trying to find an answer. Here is what I did.....

1. Uninstall the BM Desktop Video app
2. Go to the Security & Privacy (General) preferences and change ALLOW APPS DOWNLOADED to just the App Store.
3. Reinstall the BM Desktop Video app (I am using the 12.1b version, don't know if 11.7 will work)
4. Allow the app to install by changing the security setting back to App Store and identified developers
5. Finish reinstall and Restart the Mac
6. It didn't work at this point. Go back to Security and Privacy (General) and a new Allow Blackmagic to finish installation option was there. This option was not there before - click ALLOW. Now it works again.

kstebbs

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 1:03 am

Ryan_ISOUND wrote:Update to my original post:

I updated to Big Sur 11.1 and after doing so, I went back to security and privacy in system pref. and saw there it was awaiting my approval for Black Magic under the general tab (wasn't there before). Once I unlocked and approved, everything works now!

Just wanted to reply here, in case anyone is still trying to solve this. This was the solution that worked for me (quoted above).

I successfully connected my Intensity Extreme TB2 to a 2013 Mac Pro (trash can) running OSX 11.1 (Big Sur). I installed Desktop Video 11.7 and at first I couldn't detect my device. After going into Preferences and Security, I had to allow Blackmagic to make changes.

Hope this helps! Thanks for the support.

philanderson

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 12:13 am

Mark Switzer wrote:OK. I just got this to work. I am on a 2017 iMac Pro and just installed Mac OS 11.1 Big Sur. It broke the BM Desktop Video function in System Settings. I spent the last 2 hours looking through forums trying to find an answer. Here is what I did.....

1. Uninstall the BM Desktop Video app
2. Go to the Security & Privacy (General) preferences and change ALLOW APPS DOWNLOADED to just the App Store.
3. Reinstall the BM Desktop Video app (I am using the 12.1b version, don't know if 11.7 will work)
4. Allow the app to install by changing the security setting back to App Store and identified developers
5. Finish reinstall and Restart the Mac
6. It didn't work at this point. Go back to Security and Privacy (General) and a new Allow Blackmagic to finish installation option was there. This option was not there before - click ALLOW. Now it works again.

Tried this on an M1 Mac Mini

Didn't work

Just going to have to wait on updated drivers

eisejm

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 2:40 pm

This worked for me as well, but I kept the allow setting on only App store and needed to click details (see image) and allow BlackMagic.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.35.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.35.55 AM.png (75.43 KiB) Viewed 116011 times

lucouto

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 12:47 pm

I'm also having issues with UltraStudio Mini Recorder and Big Sur (11.2.3) on a M1 Mac Mini. The System Information shows the UltraStudio Mini Recorder under Thunderbolt/USB4 Device Tree but Blackmagic Desktop Video shows nothing.

It would be very nice to have a solution from BM. I've tried everything described on this post previously, no results.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 09.47.08.png
Desktop Video
Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 09.47.08.png (47.56 KiB) Viewed 111936 times
Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 09.43.15.png
System Information
Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 09.43.15.png (45.79 KiB) Viewed 111936 times

ben_asp

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 7:51 am

Same problem here. Big Sur 11.2.1.

Connected the intensity shuttle through my mac to a windows VM using parallels and it works fine.

Please fix!

Carungaua

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 pm

Blackmagic, please add support for Blackmagic Intensity Extreme and Ultrastudio 3D for Big Sur.

bluefiredawg

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:37 pm

Hi guys, I am new to the whole blackmagic desktop video software. I upgraded to Bir Sur last night and lost all of my camera feeds for church streaming. Is there a way for me to update the software or is there a link to a newer version of the software to try out? I need to get this fixed before Sunday streaming. Thanks for your help.

bhdfield

PostWed May 12, 2021 11:29 pm

I upgraded to Big Sur 11.3.1 on my Intel based MacBook Pro, and my Mini Monitor stopped being recognized by Desktop Video. I downloaded Desktop Video 12.0, not a beta. I attempted two installs, using the hack that suggested changing system security preferences to force the Mac to ask permission to install it. This did not work, Desktop Video did not recognize the Mini Monitor.

So I downloaded Desktop Video 11.7, and performed the step in security to force the permission thing. Once installed, this created a new prompt asking permission for extensions to be used. I allowed this, and now Desktop Video is seeing the Mini Monitor. Bottom line, 12.0 did not work for me, and 11.7 did, electing the new behavior of asking permission to use extensions. Fine with me. It works.

You folks at Black Magic need to iron this out, judging by the users scratching their heads on the forums here. I'm an Alexa guy and since you sell cameras, this kind of thing only reinforces a perception that I should steer clear of anything you make that would have to work properly on a set.

RAULMendoza

PostThu May 13, 2021 2:55 am

I had the same problem, but the solution was very simple. I downloaded version 11.7 of Desktop Video. This version add support for macOS Big Sur on Intel-based Mac computers.

Vit Reiter

PostWed May 26, 2021 5:21 pm

Mac Pro 2013
macOS 11.4
Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (with Thunderbolt 2)
Desktop Video 11.7

Nothing helped. About 40x uninstall/reinstall, all combinations. I deleted manually via Terminal completely Decklink files and others common files {hidden files too), restart was between every operation, disconnected devices before installing, everything what guys wrote here I tried - step by step, it takes 4 hours. Nothing helped, still I see: No desktop video device detected.

I have a question. Is someone who has Ultra Mini Monitor with TB 2 and Big Sure 11.4 and device works fine? Which drivers are you using for this device and macOS, pls?
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

oneinchpixel

PostThu May 27, 2021 5:04 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:Mac Pro 2013
macOS 11.4
Desktop Video 11.7

Nothing helped. About 40x uninstall/reinstall, all combinations. I deleted manually via Terminal completely Decklink files and others common files {hidden files too), restart was between every operation, disconnected devices before installing, everything what guys wrote here I tried - step by step, it takes 4 hours. Nothing helped, still I see: No desktop video device detected.

I have a question. Is someone who has Ultra Mini Monitor with TB 2 and Big Sure 11.4 and device works fine? Which drivers are you using for this device and macOS, pls?

I have exactly the same set up and the same issues. I give up...
Does someone knows an alternative to this device that works?

Vit Reiter

PostMon May 31, 2021 11:50 am

oneinchpixel wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:Mac Pro 2013
macOS 11.4
Desktop Video 11.7

I have exactly the same set up and the same issues. I give up...
Does someone knows an alternative to this device that works?
I wrote to the technical support on 27th May, but nobody has replied yet. It seems that if we have a Mac with Thunderbolt 2 + breakout box with Thunderbolt 2, we'll have to stay with DaVinci 16 with macOS 14 Mojave.

Andrew Glennie

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 7:29 pm

Hi All,

Thanks to the people who provided possible solutions. Unfortunately, with me none of them worked. Now I'm in MacOS 11.4, there appears to be no possibility of the Security settings to recognise the installation. So now my Thunderbolt Shuttle is unusable. Makes me wonder what testing Blackmagic did when creating Desktop Media.

A thought though - has anyone come up with the steps to manually add Blackmagic to the security setting? Is it the full application? As I mostly use Premiere Pro to link to my Shuttle, the setting needs to look elsewhere I think.

Andrew

MacBook Pro 2019
MacOD 11.4
Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt
Desktop Video 12.1

Andrew Glennie

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 11:34 pm

Update.

After lots of discussion with Blackmagic support, I turned off virus checking and the Security and Privacy preference worked!. Unfortunately, still can't connect. Sigh. What connection is everyone using? I'm using an Apple TB3-TB2 adaptor to connect to a TB2 cable.

Andrew

Mark Foster

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 8:40 am

when working with large files (video, 3D, or graphics)
it is never a good idea to have an active virus scanner installed!
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Vit Reiter

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 11:49 am

Andrew Glennie wrote:After lots of discussion with Blackmagic support, I turned off virus checking and the Security and Privacy preference worked!. Unfortunately, still can't connect. Sigh. What connection is everyone using? I'm using an Apple TB3-TB2 adaptor to connect to a TB2 cable.
I still handle it with technical support. I will write the result here.

So far, Big Sur does not seem to install Desktop Video well, so after connecting UltraStudio with TB 2, its re-flash firmware is not required.

dfabri

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 6:10 am

I've just spent a couple of hours doing the run around with this and got it working.

Im running a 2019 MacBook Pro on Big Sur 11.4. I'm using a Hyperdeck Studio Pro on 7.1.3 connected by Thunderbolt 2 and a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C dongle and Desktop Video on 11.7.

This combination of versions is currently working for me and able to capture into the appications needed.

I will note I did go through the process mentioned in EAMoore's post above (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=121992#p699837) first, not sure if that actually did anything or not though.

I initially used Desktop Video 12.1 which did not work. 12.1 looks to be good for M1 Macs but for Intel, 11.7 seems to be the winner.

Hope this helps others.

Vit Reiter

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 1:46 pm

dfabri wrote:I will note I did go through the process mentioned in EAMoore's post above (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=121992#p699837) first...
Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. :(

SunshineMedia

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 12:51 am

I've spent all day trying to resolve this. I have Big Sur, Intel, and I currently have installed 11.7 Desktop Video (and tried 12.1 multiple times). Still not recognizing the UltraStudio Mini Recorder.

The device lights up and everything worked like a charm on another Mac I own that doesn't have Big Sur.
Any resolutions?
I'm at a total loss. Laptop has the 8GB memory needed too.

Vit Reiter

PostWed Jun 30, 2021 1:30 pm

SunshineMedia wrote:I've spent all day trying to resolve this. I have Big Sur, Intel, and I currently have installed 11.7 Desktop Video (and tried 12.1 multiple times). Still not recognizing the UltraStudio Mini Recorder.

The device lights up and everything worked like a charm on another Mac I own that doesn't have Big Sur.
Any resolutions?
I'm at a total loss. Laptop has the 8GB memory needed too.
So far, we have not found any solution with technical support. I'm waiting for the macOS update or the Desktop Video update. It is possible that the update will help.
Until then, I work in DVR 16 (macOS Mojave). Formats that cannot be imported into DVR 16 are first processed in DRV 17 (macOS Big Sur) and I use AAF or XML to transfer them to DVR 16 for coloring. Uff

adamroberts

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 11:57 am

Has this issue been resolved yet?

I'm having no joy getting this UltraStudio Mini Monitor to work.

Un-installed Desktop Video, then installed the latest version (12.1). Have been thought this multiple times with no joy. First time I installed 12.1 and rebooted it asked me to update the Firmware on the UltraStudio Mini Monitor, that was done successfully and the UltraStudio Mini Monitor was restarted.

My system profile sees the UltraStudio Mini Monitor but Desktop Video Setup does not, not dow my video app that used to see it just fine in previous versions of Mac OS.

Vit Reiter

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 10:03 am

Vit Reiter wrote:We have not found any solution with technical support. I'm waiting for the macOS update or the Desktop Video update. It is possible that the update will help.
Apple has released the macOS Big Sur 11.5 update.

What have I done:

- before updating macOS I uninstalled Desktop Video 11.7
- after updating macOS, I reinstall Desktop 11.7 (System Preferences>Security & Privacy will ask to confirm trust for Blackmagic developers and restart the computer)

- I have now connected the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (Ultrastudio Mini Monitor did not request a firmware update)

Now Desktop Video 11.7 works well with Ultrastudio Mini Monitor.
So I can start using DaVinci 17 fully.

Good luck to you too!

adamroberts

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 7:44 am

As with Vit Reiter I updated Mac OS and now Desktop Video sees my UltraStudio Mini Monitor.

My process:
Uninstall Desktop Video
Uninstall DaVinci Resolve (did this just as precaution, not sure it had any impact)

Updated to Mac OS 11.51

Reinstalled Desktop Video 12.1
Opened System Preferences>Security & Privacy to confirm trust for Blackmagic developers before I restarted the computer
Reinstalled DaVinci Resolve 17.2.2

All seems in order. :-)

Vincenzo Onorato

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 4:15 pm

This worked for me:

1. Boot into Recovery Mode (command-r)
2. Open Terminal to disable SIP: At the prompt enter this command: csrutil disable
3. You will get a message that SIP has been disabled.

Apparently, keeping the SIP disabled helped, but probably this still is not the safest solution

MBP15 i9 8 cores
BigSur 11.5.2
BMD DesktopVideo 12.1
V.O.

AdamKowalskipl

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 2:09 pm

Well... Its not the solution, but..
I had BM Intensity Shuttle working perfectly, till I installed Paragon's NTFS for Mac.
After system restart, I got the info No Desktop Video Device Detected.
So I uninstalled Paragon's software and BM appeared again in the system.
I know, its odd if I can have Intensity OR NTFS for Mac installed, but looks like there is a conflict between them both.

Mel Matsuoka

PostSat Sep 04, 2021 1:45 am

Ugh. Just ran into this problem as well just now, on my 2020 iMac, running Big Sur 11.5.2, Ultrastudio Mini Monitor 3G w/Desktop Video 12.1. Even disabling SIP did not work.

Rolling back to Desktop Video 11.7 works for me.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM
Next

Return to Live Production