Compatibility with Big Sur (MacOS 11)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tdawg_07

Re: Compatibility with Big Sur (MacOS 11)

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 8:09 pm

Just thought I would post here because I ran into this issue and had support give me a somewhat decent answer. It appears that it doesn't matter what version I am running of the Desktop Software but going to the terminal and executing this command "sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext" will immediately allow my Ultrastudio Mini Recorder to be found by the software. This has to be completed after every reboot so I made a AppleScript application that will execute the code with a double click. Good luck!!

Mel Matsuoka

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 3:44 am

tdawg_07 wrote:Just thought I would post here because I ran into this issue and had support give me a somewhat decent answer. It appears that it doesn't matter what version I am running of the Desktop Software but going to the terminal and executing this command "sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext" will immediately allow my Ultrastudio Mini Recorder to be found by the software. This has to be completed after every reboot so I made a AppleScript application that will execute the code with a double click. Good luck!!
Ah that makes sense. SoftRAID has a similar issue in Big Sur. It’s surprising that so many things are still boned by the new kernel extension security policies in Big Sur.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 1:29 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:
tdawg_07 wrote:Just thought I would post here because I ran into this issue and had support give me a somewhat decent answer. It appears that it doesn't matter what version I am running of the Desktop Software but going to the terminal and executing this command "sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext" will immediately allow my Ultrastudio Mini Recorder to be found by the software. This has to be completed after every reboot so I made a AppleScript application that will execute the code with a double click. Good luck!!
Ah that makes sense. SoftRAID has a similar issue in Big Sur. It’s surprising that so many things are still boned by the new kernel extension security policies in Big Sur.

in fact that's not even the issue.
kext have been deprecated for a while.
hardware developers should be using the new System Extensions stuff https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... extensions

Chris Roberts1

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 10:43 pm

This might be useful. It resolved this issue for me immediately.

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 10:54 pm

Here's an AppleScript that you can use to create a clickable "app" in Automator, which automates the kext reload. You can add the app to your Mac's Startup Items list, so it runs every time you login:

https://github.com/melmatsuoka/FixBMDDesktopVideoDriver
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

bradschrum

No Image on UltraStudio Recorder 3G Mac Mini M1

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 10:31 pm

Hi!

I'm trying to use an UltraStudio Recorder 3G to connect a Sony FDX AX100 to an M1 Mac Mini to use with either OBS or ProPresenter for live-streaming.

I have installed the newest version of Desktop Video, enable the security permissions, and within the Desktop Video App, I selected the HDMI input for the device.

When I try to add the device in OBS or ProPresenter, I can select it, but there is no image. At one point, it was telling me no signal in ProPresenter, but somehow I fixed that. And then I think I broke it again. It's still not giving me an image in either software.

We were previously using the same camera and HDMI cable to connect to an older MacBook Pro via Mini Recorder, and it worked fine. So the camera and HDMI cable work — But on the new Mac Mini and the Recorder 3G, it's not working.

I'm at a loss as to what to try or look at. I'm far from being a professional in this field...more like an almost competent volunteer. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated!

tvnstuff

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 9:20 pm

I have had this same issue and have use the following procedure twice, first on M1 Mac Mini that shipped with Big Sur, then on an Intel iMac Pro that shipped with Mojave, both are now running Big Sur 11.6. Both also failed to recognize the UltraStudio Recorder 3G on Thunderbolt 3 but are now operating normally.

First, on Mac Mini ONLY :
[*] Restart in macOS Recovery, login as administrator, and launch Startup Security Utility from the Select Utilities menu.
[*] Select your disk and login as prompted. Click Security Policy, select Reduced Security, and make sure both boxes below are checked.
[*] Click OK, enter password as prompted, then restart into macOS.

From there:
[*] Download Blackmagic Desktop Utility 12.1 AND 11.7. Unplug your capture device before proceeding.
[*] Open System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Click the lock and enter password.
[*] Extract v12.1, run Uninstall confirming YES to uninstalling drivers, if prompted.
[*] Install v12.1 but WAIT on the final prompt to reboot. In Security and Privacy, a prompt should have appeared. If one doesn't, wait a minute or so for it to appear. If it doesn't, click reboot and move to the next step. If it does, click Approve, then follow the prompt to reboot. The system will restart twice.

Then repeat with 11.7:
[*] Open System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Click the lock and enter password.
[*] Extract v11.7, run Uninstall confirming YES to uninstalling drivers, if prompted.
[*] Install v11.7 but WAIT on the final prompt to reboot. In Security and Privacy, a prompt should have appeared. If one doesn't, wait a minute or so for it to appear. If it doesn't, click reboot and move to the next step. If it does, click Approve, then follow the prompt to reboot. The system will restart twice.

Then, repeat AGAIN with 12.1:
[*] Extract v12.1, run Uninstall confirming YES to uninstalling drivers, if prompted.
[*] Install v12.1 but WAIT on the final prompt to reboot. In Security and Privacy, a prompt should have appeared. If one doesn't, wait a minute or so for it to appear. If it doesn't, click reboot and move to the next step. If it does, click Approve, then follow the prompt to reboot. The system will restart twice.

With both systems, after the final reboot the Recorder 3G was recognized by Desktop Video Setup and captured video into Resolve 17.3.1. That's technically a conicidence and not pattern, but I plan to test the same unit on an Intel 2018-ish MacBook Pro tomorrow and will report failures.

Good luck!
--
James G.

UofSC Aiken Instructional Services
James G.

skurias

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 10:53 am

tvnstuff wrote:I have had this same issue and have use the following procedure twice, first on M1 Mac Mini that shipped with Big Sur, then on an Intel iMac Pro that shipped with Mojave, both are now running Big Sur 11.6. Both also failed to recognize the UltraStudio Recorder 3G on Thunderbolt 3 but are now operating normally.

First, on Mac Mini ONLY :
[*] Restart in macOS Recovery, login as administrator, and launch Startup Security Utility from the Select Utilities menu.
[*] Select your disk and login as prompted. Click Security Policy, select Reduced Security, and make sure both boxes below are checked.
[*] Click OK, enter password as prompted, then restart into macOS.

From there:
[*] Download Blackmagic Desktop Utility 12.1 AND 11.7. Unplug your capture device before proceeding.

Then repeat with 11.7:
[*] Extract v11.7, run Uninstall confirming YES to uninstalling drivers, if prompted.
[*] Install v11.7 but WAIT on the final prompt to reboot. In Security and Privacy, a prompt should have appeared. If one doesn't, wait a minute or so for it to appear. If it doesn't, click reboot and move to the next step. If it does, click Approve, then follow the prompt to reboot. The system will restart twice.

Then, repeat AGAIN with 12.1:

With both systems, after the final reboot the Recorder 3G was recognized by Desktop Video Setup and captured video into Resolve 17.3.1. That's technically a conicidence and not pattern, but I plan to test the same unit on an Intel 2018-ish MacBook Pro tomorrow and will report failures.

Good luck!
--
James G.

After hours of searching and testing several solutions, i can say that the above (quoted) worked perfect for me. It worked on a MacBook Pro 16inch 2019 with i9 CPU.

Thank you so much for your help!

Stavros

Joseph Villegas

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 12:08 am

I just upgrade my workhorse Mac Pro Xeon 5.1 with very nice Mojave to a Mac Mini M1 awful Big Sur

After installing Desktop video 12.2.1, the system see without problem my Decklink Duo 2 (Sonnet TB2 enclosure), but Ultrastudio Mini recorder and Mini Monitor TB2 is not seeing by Desktop video despite it is showed by system preferences.
I did the @tvnstuff procedure, no luck

Any clue?

UPDATE

Damm, just see this

M1 and Intel Macs:
- DeckLink Duo 2
- DeckLink Quad 2
- DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder
- DeckLink 8K Pro
- DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
- DeckLink Micro Recorder
- DeckLink SDI Micro
- DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
- DeckLink Mini Recorder
- DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K
- DeckLink SDI 4K
- DeckLink Studio 4K
- UltraStudio Recorder 3G
- UltraStudio Monitor 3G
- UltraStudio HD Mini
- UltraStudio 4K Mini
- UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3
- Intensity Pro 4K
- DeckLink 4K Pro
- DeckLink 4K Extreme
- UltraStudio 4K
- UltraStudio 4K Extreme

Intel Macs only:
- DeckLink Mini Monitor
- DeckLink HD Extreme 3
- DeckLink HD Extreme 3D
- DeckLink SDI
- DeckLink Duo
- DeckLink Quad
- DeckLink Studio
- UltraStudio Express
- UltraStudio Mini Monitor
- UltraStudio Mini Recorder
- Intensity Pro
- Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt

EBenninger

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 7:54 pm

Mark Switzer wrote:OK. I just got this to work. I am on a 2017 iMac Pro and just installed Mac OS 11.1 Big Sur. It broke the BM Desktop Video function in System Settings. I spent the last 2 hours looking through forums trying to find an answer. Here is what I did.....

1. Uninstall the BM Desktop Video app
2. Go to the Security & Privacy (General) preferences and change ALLOW APPS DOWNLOADED to just the App Store.
3. Reinstall the BM Desktop Video app (I am using the 12.1b version, don't know if 11.7 will work)
4. Allow the app to install by changing the security setting back to App Store and identified developers
5. Finish reinstall and Restart the Mac
6. It didn't work at this point. Go back to Security and Privacy (General) and a new Allow Blackmagic to finish installation option was there. This option was not there before - click ALLOW. Now it works again.

This worked great for me! macOS Big Sur 11.6.1
The Blackmagic Intensity Extreme box received HDMI IN from the video camera > Thunderbolt 2 > Thunderbolt 3 adapter >ScopeBox desktop application (set proper input resolution and frame rate from camera) > Zoom call share ScopeBox window

PAY ATTENTION TO EVERY POPUP DURING INSTALLATION AND AFTER RESTART. I had to respond to several messages in the Security and Privacy (General) window of System Preferences.

cvbates

PostMon Dec 26, 2022 1:38 am

Perhaps this is helpful to somebody else. I have a UltraStudio Mini Recorder and MacOS Big Sur 11.7.2. I updated Desktop Video to 12.4.2; this worked after one reboot and then never again (device would not show in Desktop Video). I did the csrutil disable and deleting kext files mentioned elsewhere, but I believe this made things worse. The white light on the mini recorder didn't even turn on anymore. What I see from the release notes is that Desktop Video 12.4.2 only mentions "macOS 13.0 Ventura or later, macOS 12.0 Monterey". So perhaps it was never going to work with BigSur.

I went back decrementally in versions to 12.1 at which point /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext came back. Next thing is that the driver was not loaded. One can see this in System Information/Software/Extensions

I ran the following command:
sudo kmutil load -p /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext

This seemed to kick everything back to life again and the white light on the device came back on. The device is now detected across multiple reboots. Interestingly looking at System Information/Software/Extensions again, the driver is shown as not loaded although it still works. So I'm not sure why, but the command did bring things back to life.

I then tried going forward to 12.3.1 of Desktop video as this still mentions BigSur in the release notes. But this did not work; I had to go back to 12.1 again.

It seems that different solutions have worked for different people; this is what worked for me.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 11.25.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 11.25.12 AM.png (477.61 KiB) Viewed 1143 times

ijhixxx

PostTue Jan 10, 2023 1:44 am

Has anyone figured out how to get an Intensity Shuttle working with Big Sur? mine is USB3, Big Sur 11.6 early 2015 MBP intel i5

any suggestions would be welcome, I've tried all the the reboot and deleting .kext files to no avail.. thanks!
Previous

Return to Live Production