Atem Iso Chroma Key Resolve Project Issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

paulgolden

Atem Iso Chroma Key Resolve Project Issue

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 1:37 am

So I've got my Iso up and running and it's pretty cool. I'm still learning the ins and outs, but here's something I've run into:

Shooting greenscreen with a couple of cameras. Let's make it simple and say Cam1 is a CU and Cam2 is wide. The BG will change from Cam1 to Cam2 via a swap in stills in the Media Player. I've created a macro to make the still switch with the camera.

In order to have the Cam1 as a chromakey, the Upstream key has to be set with Cam1 as the overlay and the still is the "main image". To switch to Cam2, the overlay in the upstream key needs to be swapped as well as the BG still.

Here's the issue (finally): when generating a Resolve project during recording, there is no record of which overlay camera is selected, only the BG still that is shown in program. Is there any way to capture which green screen camera is in use or is that lost?

It seems to me that the Resolve project should capture both the overlay and the BG still. Is that something that BMD could enable?

paulgolden

Re: Atem Iso Chroma Key Resolve Project Issue

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 6:04 pm

In playing with this, I've come to the conclusion that the paradigm for how chromakey is implemented is wrong (at least for me).

I come from a VFX/post background (not live TV) and I don't really have a received wisdom about upstream & downstream keys, so my assumptions may be completely wrong.

But if I were writing the software, each of the main camera inputs would have the ability to key out the color and attach a background from either another camera source or the media pool behind it.

That way the camera inputs stay as the primary layer and the BG is ancillary, not the other way around. Then you could have custom key settings per camera instead of the one-size-fits-all approach in the Atem software. Since macros can already switch all this stuff instantly, it doesn't seem like you'd really be adding much in the way of system overhead to make this happen.

The way it's currently implemented, it's cumbersome to switch camera inputs and backgrounds without writing macros (that can easily break) to make this happen. Am I missing something?

Return to Live Production