Connecting Mac Screens

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ironside82

Connecting Mac Screens

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 9:59 am

Hi there,

I'm looking for a stable way of connecting a Mac laptop screen to another Mac running Wirecast for a live stream

Both Macs have USB-C

Would connecting an UltraStudio Monitor 3G (on the Mac which the screen is to be shared) to an UltraStudio Recorder 3G on the Wirecast Mac be the best way of doing this. Audio would need to be sent too.

I have used a mini recorder in the past with a cheap usb-c to HDMI adapter in the past and I have had lots of problems with audio dropouts etc..

Any help or other solutions would be much appreciated.

James

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Connecting Mac Screens

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 9:02 pm

Using a UltraStudio Mini Monitor in conjunction with a Mini Recorder is certainly possible, just be aware of a couple things:

1) The UltraStudio Monitor 3G and Recorder 3G are Thunderbolt 3 devices, so they will not work with ordinary USB-C ports. Both types of port use the same physical connector, but Thunderbolt uses different protocols and bandwidths. Apple has made computers with both Thunderbolt 3 ports and standard USB-C ports, so you need to make sure that your computers actually have Thunderbolt 3 ports for these devices to work:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201736

2) The UltraStudio Mini Monitor is not really a video card, so it won't necessarily show up as a standard display output option within the operating system. Instead, you have to use software running on the computer that is compatible with the Blackmagic Desktop Video drivers to use the UltraStudio Mini Monitor as an output device. There are some free applications like OBS Studio that are capable of outputting to a UltraStudio device.

Return to Live Production