Blu-Ray player in to ATEM TV Studio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

vjloopio

Blu-Ray player in to ATEM TV Studio

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 5:57 pm

I am trying to use a HDMI Blu-ray player into the ATEM TV Studio to use for dvd montages. I am using the HDMI out. I get a black screen. I think its an HDCP issue. Is there a tool to resolve this hurdle. Would the Black Magic HDMI to SDI mini converter work or would I have the same problem. The other option I was thinking of using is the yellow composite video output of the Blu-ray through a Black Magic Analog to SDI mini converter. Would either option this solve the issue.

Thanks!

Liam Kennedy

Re: Blu-Ray player in to ATEM TV Studio

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Yep... Probably is an HDCP issue. The black magic hdmi to SDI adaptor will not help as that will honor the HDCP encryption. Do you have component out? If you do you could use an analog to SDI adaptor as HDCP is stripped when converted to component.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Tony Moffat

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 10:09 am

Hi,

We came across this problem. Solution. The cheapest no name Blu-ray player from a discount outlet. Has not missed a beat and played every disc we have thrown at it.
Tony Moffat.
Technical Producer/Director.

Mike Squires

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Or use a PC with AnyDVDHD.

mattbrown

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 5:49 pm

or go via a BMD Analog to SDI converter, but use the component in to keep it HD

vjloopio

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Hey thanks for everyones help. I ordered the BMD Analog to SDI coverter. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

Scott B

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 am

I have a ATEM 1M/E and i have used both a vizio blu rey player and even a DVD player with a 720 or 1080 output via HDMI. You have to make sure the player is set to the proper frame size that you are using, if it is set to auto you will not get anything. So if you are in 720 make sure the bluerey player or DVD player is in 720. I never had any issues with discs not playing due to encryption, but i make all my own DVDs which i will be playing.

sharyn

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 9:49 am

The ATEM TVS for instance does not seem to be able to "tell" the BLU RAY player that it needs to be in 1080I mode, I have found for non HDCP disks that just getting the player changed from 1080P to 1080i works, worth checking the player setting
Sharyn

vjloopio

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I still have not been able to get this Blu-ray player to work through the ATEMTV Studio.
I did get the BMD Analog to SDI converter. Do I have it set wrong? I have switches 4 and 5 on and the rest off. I am going in to the Y or NTSA,PAL composite input. I also tried an RCA to HDMI 1080P Scaler out of the composite of the blue-ray and cant get a picture that way either? What the hell am I doing wrong? HELP :shock:

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 8:26 pm

How have you configured the Bluray player? Have you specifically configured it to be outputting in the exact same format your TVS is configured for? That's what I have to do with my Bluray and other component video devices. That means I have to first connect the output to a monitor to configure it as required. Then - only when I am certain it is configured the way the TVS is expecting do I then connect it to my TVS.

For the Analog to SDI - I don't believe you will need to turn ANY dip switches on (at least not for the video side) as that will purely be working as a format converter (component to SDI).

vjloopio

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 pm

I have tried a regular DVD Player now also, and cant get a picture from that either? This is making me crazy.

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Please answer my previous question(s). To repeat

How have you configured the bluray player?
How is your TVS setup?

Make sure they are the exact same frame rate and resolution.

If you are trying to connect a DVD player... I imagine you must be running everything in SD resolution? You do know you have to connect everything running at the exact same resolution / frame rate as your TVS is configured for?

vjloopio

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 pm

The Blu Ray player does not seem to give me the same choices as the ATEMTV has?

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 9:00 pm

vjloopio wrote:The Blu Ray player does not seem to give me the same choices as the ATEMTV has?

Well that is the problem then. See my previous post as to why this will never work.

Please answer my questions precisely

What settings are available?
And ONE MORE TIME... What settings have you set the TVS to?

If you don't actually answer my questions. I'm going to have to withdraw from further posts... as I don't see any point in just posting stuff for my amusement.

vjloopio

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Ok, I have the Blu-Ray on 1080i and the TVS is on 1080i5994 in the settings tab? Still no luck.

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Try them both on 720p5994 that's how I have my TVS configured with 3.2 firmware.

vjloopio

PostThu Oct 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Liam, Thank you for sticking with me on this. I did try both on 720p settings on 2 different Blu-Ray decks and I have tried a regular DvD player and no luck on that front either. When I looked in my HDTV settings in the computer it did show that the monitor is not HDCP compliant. Would this make any difference? Again, thank you for visiting this thread again.

Chad

PostThu Oct 04, 2012 8:31 pm

If you are connecting your Blu-ray to the Analog -> SDI mini converter you must use the component (not composite) connectors (ie Y/Pb/Pr) in order to output 1080i. Composite outputs on DVD/Blu-Ray players will only support SD (480i) resolution.

vjloopio

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 7:41 pm

Well I finaly got it to work at 720p with a cheap RCA (composite) to HDMI converter matched at 720p. What a pain in the rump! Anyhow, I never got the BMD Analog to SDI mini converter to work. Is there something that has to be done to that to make it output the correct signal.

Thanks for all the help on this issue everybody!

Levi Nilsson

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 8:48 pm

What I believe was happening is you were using the COMPOSITE output (the yellow one) from the BluRay player and feeding that to the BMD converter which then output it as 480i digital SDI into the BMD TVS, which was configured as for HD switching.

Composite signals are 480i and would need to go through a scaler in order to be seen as HD on the BMD. If you connect the BluRay via COMPONENT (YpBpR - the red, blue green connectors on most decks) you will get an analog HD signal into the BMD Analog to SDI converter and the BMD will then see it as an HD signal and should accept it, so long as you have the output on the deck and the BMD set to the same resolution.

As far as I know, the BMD hardware itself is in fact CPHD compliant, so running copy protected content through it is a pain.

Andy Matheson

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 9:30 pm

If it's a fairly short film and you can play it on your computer, screen-record it. I've done this a couple of times, played it back in as a QT file from a laptop and it worked great. Or you could dump it back out to tape and play in from that.

Liam Kennedy

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 9:34 pm

That's the problem when someone resurrects an ANCIENT post (almost two years old) for some odd reason (why do this??). Now everyone else thinks this is a new problem and starts adding additional ideas to this mix.

Problem is.. the original poster has likely moved on having already had the issue fixed.

Please.. don't post new answers to posts that are so old. It just doesn't make any sense.

hatzenbach

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 am

type hdmi magic box or wizard into e_bay.
that is how to fix this problem and stick to high def digital without much messing around
Hatzen Bach. Now calling Australia home.

Andy Matheson

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Please.. don't post new answers to posts that are so old. It just doesn't make any sense.

I have to come back to you on that one Liam. Firstly, I do understand your frustration when your questions don't get answered. Clearly, people don't always read the responses fully and take them on board. But the idea that a 2-year-old post should be dead and buried is a bit strong. If we all spend time trawling the forum to explore other responses to every single post we want to make or read, then nobody would ever have time to contribute anything. Besides, when we all use different tags or headings for posts, we don't always know what terms to search on. Also, 2 years is a long time in this technology, and someone may well have found an answer to what was un-answerable 2 years ago. This is a big community now and there is bound to be some duplication of posts and topics - it just go's with the territory.
Let's not fight over this, but let's be a bit more tolerant (so long as people answer the questions asked :D :D :D :D )

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 4:05 pm

First... although you may have heard my request as a "demand"... it was actually a request (and a polite one). I'm therefore amused that you put this in terms of a "flight".

This particular post was answered pretty thoroughly 2 years ago. The person who responded was not the original poster - who it can probably be assumed had his/her question answered at the time or would have come back with another question - don't you think? (actually you'll see the original poster did say his question was answered)

Everyone is free to do what they will. And.. yet I don't relish getting notification emails of a new "answer" from posts I responded to two years ago. I find that just plain strange.

Create your own post if you must (that's my request to the forum user who posted his own answer to this 2 year old post).

In many forums they often close off older threads so they can no longer be added to. There are reasons why that makes sense that you either get... or don't.

But each to your own.

Peace.

Return to Live Production